Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the last trip I took, the headlights were cutting in and out randomly. Not sure the cause - they would work for 10 miles, then cut out or vice versa. The inner two lights always stayed on but don't provide that much light. The outer two I think should always be on, whether you are on high or low. Those are the two that were cutting in and out. Starting the sled up this weekend the outer bulbs aren't coming on at all. We tried working through as much of the wiring as we could, checking for frays, bad connections, dirty connectors. Tried working through the wiring the best we could with a voltmeter. Couldn't find anything. The sled does have the updated voltage regulator. Any ideas? Is there a relay somewhere that I should check - I didn't see one. Planning to ride on Thursday but not sure what to do next.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
On the last trip I took, the headlights were cutting in and out randomly. Not sure the cause - they would work for 10 miles, then cut out or vice versa. The inner two lights always stayed on but don't provide that much light. The outer two I think should always be on, whether you are on high or low. Those are the two that were cutting in and out. Starting the sled up this weekend the outer bulbs aren't coming on at all. We tried working through as much of the wiring as we could, checking for frays, bad connections, dirty connectors. Tried working through the wiring the best we could with a voltmeter. Couldn't find anything. The sled does have the updated voltage regulator. Any ideas? Is there a relay somewhere that I should check - I didn't see one. Planning to ride on Thursday but not sure what to do next.
I cooked wires together in my gauge/headlight harness recently. The I am a dumbass thread a couple of weeks ago in the fusion forum explains what happened. I actually did it twice...second time showed no signs of black plastic protecting tube or foil tape damage. Not saying that is your problem but worth a look.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the two inner bulbs work fine, I was thinking about re-wiring it to run the outside bulbs off the wires from the inner bulbs, at least to get me through the next trip. Not sure if that's a bad idea...I really don't know what else to check at this point.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seen some other posts by searching that say to check the chassis relay. Any ideas what that is? I don't remember seeing one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Seen some other posts by searching that say to check the chassis relay. Any ideas what that is? I don't remember seeing one.
Chassis relay is by the pipe, mine is zip tied to the major harness that runs up to the hood.

I had to replace it. I bought a knock off at Oreilly's auto parts. Dorman brand I believe. If you need a pic let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts