Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought about stepping away from the sport and selling my sled and trailer. Have a 4 year old and not much free time. I posted it on Craigs list at fair prices
and have come to realize that people want things for nothing. I did't even last 3 days and was having panic attack's. Took the post down last night and told my wife i'm ridding it when i can and keeping it forever.
I feel much better now and can sleep .

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Craigslist is horrible, or at least that's been my experience. Your stuff is worthless and everyone else's stuff is worth it's weight in gold.

Good call on keeping it!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
The sense I get from Craigslist, regardless of whether you are asking a fair price or not, is that the customers think of the listed price as full retail and want to negotiate from there. If you listed your sled for $10, someone would say "I'll give you $5, oh do you take trades? :)"

That being said, the price anything ultimately sells for is the price it is worth in the buyers eyes and in the end the sellers eyes. If not, it would not be sold.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I always add like 20% over what I really want just because you know your going to get low balled. I find also if you make it so they can only call you rather than email it weeds out a lot of the flakes and tire kickers.

Good call on keeping the sled if it’s all paid for why sell it? Better off keeping it and enjoying it even if it is only couple times a year. I’m in the same boat 2 kids under 2 but It helps that the trail is in my backyard kids go to bed dad goes and rides for few hours. I do miss all the trips up north but you take what you can get. Feel free to come join if your close to Jaffrey any riding is better than nothing.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Yes, the only thing I will say is the opposite is also true... if you hold onto the sled until the very first day that there is a shit ton of snow and the trails are legal to ride? You can then get what it's actually worth and maybe more. Almost any other time of the year you'll only get close to book value if it's low mileage, late model and absolutely perfect. If it's older with blemishes and some normal use? It better be half of book value and even then you'll get a bunch of people trying to steal it from you.

·
Registered
41,111 Posts
Craigslist on average is craplist, all you get are tire kickers that want good stuff for nothing, especially motor vehicles and toys. I've had the best luck at swap meets. It may take a few but eventually i got what i wanted or real close. You need show and speak to people in person what their actually buying.

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,972 Posts
I've had good luck with Craigslist buying and selling. You need thick skin, and the ability to say NO. And, I ALWAYS get/make a verbal phone call before sealing the deal or getting in the truck to make the purchase.

The only issue I have is the a-hole who doesn't take your word because he claims he's been burned too many times by people who don't show. I get that, but if you are the first caller, make a verbal deal, and then let a guy go on for 20 minutes about the new sled he bought, you'd think people would have the courtesy and integrity to let that first caller prove or disprove their integrity.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I get that, but if you are the first caller, make a verbal deal, and then let a guy go on for 20 minutes about the new sled he bought, you'd think people would have the courtesy and integrity to let that first caller prove or disprove their integrity.
Oh, well if you are a buyer it's a whole different deal. When I was looking for my boat I had 10 grand cash in my glove compartment for about 4 months. It was driving me crazy but if on Craigslist if you find something you want for the price you want, you better be ready to go get it immediately, and with cash or else you better plan on it being gone if you wait until you "get out of work" or something. You gotta be ready to clock out of the office and scoot. Or at least be at the guys door when he gets home.

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,972 Posts
Oh, well if you are a buyer it's a whole different deal. When I was looking for my boat I had 10 grand cash in my glove compartment for about 4 months. It was driving me crazy but if on Craigslist if you find something you want for the price you want, you better be ready to go get it immediately, and with cash or else you better plan on it being gone if you wait until you "get out of work" or something. You gotta be ready to clock out of the office and scoot. Or at least be at the guys door when he gets home.
Understand completely. That's my point though, I always let the first guy prove or disprove himself. Especially if a deal was made over the phone, verbally, I will honor that, until he doesn't show when he says he will. Maybe I'm the guy that disproves the Craigslist integrity rule, or lack there of as it is.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Yup, always ask $500-$1000 over what you actually want for the sled, atv, dirtbike, jetski, sxs, etc... in my case, I'll probably ask $14k-$15k for my truck and take $12.5k or $12k

Reactions: too slow

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some great points here. I just thought about selling it because i hate to see things go unused. But i guess my passion for ridding got the best of me.
Reality is it's in my blood and i can't shake it .Bought a sled when i was 19 and rode ever since with some epic trips under my belt. now 47
So with that said i guess having ,even sitting idle for a chance for a short ride is better than a empty driveway with no trailer and ride.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Now, being the nice guy i am, ill ride it around for you with a for sale sign on it and help you "ease out of the life". When you need a fix, you can ride it. :)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now, being the nice guy i am, ill ride it around for you with a for sale sign on it and help you "ease out of the life". When you need a fix, you can ride it. :)
good one :thumbsup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Doesn't matter how loudly you scream firm on price they still offer you half. I tell folks that if you're not ready to meet my price don't even bother coming. I've actually raised my price offer asking just because people try to play games.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just love when they try to negotiate through a text without even looking at it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
all your guys stuff must be overpriced. If I actually want to sell something its gone in a day or 2 on craiglist.

a 2004 skidoo rev with 5k miles isn't worth $2500 no matter the condition sorry

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was selling a boat a couple of years ago and some guy offered me a bathroom renovation in trade.The boat was $5000.I nicely said no thanks and he said it couldn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don’t ever do that shit again! That’s what grandparents are for. (Sarcasm). Gotta network so you can ride! Family loves to help around holidays. Haha

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
I've had great luck selling on CL. I put a detailed description, take good photos, and make sure I'm totally honest about the machines condition. Then I list the price (which is always fair for the machine) and then add that the price is not negotiable. Sometimes it takes a little longer to get a hit, but when you get one its almost always a buyer. I've sold probably a dozen machines on CL in the last few years, all of them sold to the first person who actually came to look at them and for the full asking price. I had a kid drive all the way from Long Island NY in July of 17 to buy my 15 RMK600 144. When he was here he asked why I was selling, told him I snow checked an SKS800. He said give me a call in a couple years if you decide to sell it lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts