Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All three of our SW's last weekend suffered from the relay freezing issue. Mind you it was -15F where we rode but here's what I experienced. All 3 sleds would fire right up in the morning no problem but after they warmed up and shut back off while we got dressed is when the freeze up would occur. Pulled the relay out warmed it up in my hand for a minute and good to go. We also had the relay labeled "main" freeze up on one sled. The sled started but didn't have lights or gauge display. Another issue I had was no reverse and I think it's the "reverse actuator" relay causing that as well. I unloaded in 50deg weather yesterday and it reversed out of the trailer just fine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My 9000RR has done the same, and I'm going to get sealed units first, before relocating the fuse block. I've only had the fuel pump relay freeze, and it seemed like leaving the key forward eventually got it working.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I had the same problem when the sled (14 7000) sat over night -25+ below zero, about the time I was going to take the hood off the sled (guys trying the key) it would start and run great all day until next morning.

I think leaving the key on would cause resistance in relay and it would start working. :dunno:

·
Banned
33,383 Posts
we'll be stocking them soon, but for now, just get the sealed version that they should have used in the first place.
part number 303-1AH-S-R1-12vdc

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
we'll be stocking them soon, but for now, just get the sealed version that they should have used in the first place.
Tommcat - let us know when you get these relays in I'm interested.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
We use the Song Chuan Relays on our industrial instrument panels. Used on big Cat engines. Pretty good quality IMO

·
Registered
157 Posts

How many of the 4 pin relays are there? I dont have my sled nearby to check. I'd like to replace all of them so it isnt a worry for any of them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
When I first bought my Viper, I would warm up the sled before breakfast. When I returned ready to ride, it would not start. The way that we got around this issue is to start the sled, put on your helmet and then leave for the days ride. The ZR7000 that I have now is the same 'beast' and I do the same startup sequence. I do fill the sled with fuel at the end of the day too to keep out moisture. When it gets cold(below -10C at night), I use either isopropyl gas line antifreeze or Sea Foam.

·
Banned
33,383 Posts
Would you suggest replacing the other 2 with sealed units as well? Do you know the part number for them as well?
the 2 different ones are shift forward and shift reverse. probably not a huge deal if one ever did stick, but i will see if i can find a sealed version of those as well.

edit, i found sealed versions of the others as well and have a stock order coming next week.

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sure your getting good at taking the hood off.

Is your symptom nothing when you turn the key on, that's what my 7000 was doing a couple weeks ago at -25F.

In my experience when I start the sled and let it warm up then shut it off until I'm ready it freezes. So now I don't start it until I know I'm leaving.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
In my experience when I start the sled and let it warm up then shut it off until I'm ready it freezes. So now I don't start it until I know I'm leaving.
Mine is the opposite once its started it starts great until the next morning.

·
Registered
82 Posts
A few weeks back, we had 3 sidewinders, and 2 vipers. 4 out of the 5 had issues.

3 out of 4 started, but then would not restart once we shut them off. Like others have said, we warmed them up, then went inside to put on the rest of our gear. Would have been ready to go, but we had one of the other machines not start at all.

The one that did not start at all, we had to take the relay inside and warm it up. Once that one fired, the chain reaction started to happen with the other relays on the other machines. Took us an hour to get going in the morning. Neg 11 F that morning.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The shift relays are a single pole double throw unlike the other five in the fuse box that are single throw. The two shift relays are larger rectangular shape with 5 terminals so they can't be interchanged with the other square 4 terminal relays. The OEM relays come as "Flux Sealed" and can be replaced with relays that rated as "Washable".

Square relays, 4 terminal:
ISC (main relay)
Fuel
Fan
Headlight
Tail (lighting relay)

Original Part# (flux sealed): 303-1AH-C-R1-12vdc
Replacement Part# (washable sealed): 303-1AH-S-R1-12vdc
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...lGo6lFOYUsTYwbpP89ku/7wyBpVWigJQObwg6RppX8prP

Rectangle relays, 5 terminals:
Forward shift
Reverse shift

Original Part# (flux sealed): 301-1C-C-R1- U01-12VDC
Replacement Part# (washable sealed): 301-1C-S-R1-12VDC
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...3cc0Vh3MFi1ipUOIJJiF8hmNpWu1nmLOPAyswUIIcQg==

1 - 20 of 28 Posts