Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Id guess around $650.00 to $700., I work at a dealer. The guys who change them do them in a half hour or so. Unbolt the box, 4 guys pick it up slide it back 2 feet on top of the tires and bumper and There it is. Its a royal screwin!!!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Guess what it cost"s to have fuel pump& fuel filter R&R in Northern Mich. GM dealership???[/b]
700.00 is my guesstimate!

I am told to keep at least a 1/4 tank and minimize low fuel conditions because the fuel pumps take a beating when they dont have fuel going through them. Something about lubricating and cooling the pump. I have supplemented my fuel w/lucas fuel supplements soley for that purpose, to "lubricate" the fuel system as well as clean it up. Dont know if I am wasting my money or not, but I have 144k on this pump so far and it still works. My other truck had 250k on it before the fuel pump went, and I treated it the same way. I have heard they have a 125k lifespan on the average.

Somebody needs to invent an alternative fuel supply option for emergencies because the damn things go out while youre driving down the road, and you could be stranded in the middle of nowhere. It happened to a friend of mine in Wyoming. One of the ranchers out there (yes this is true) siphoned the washer solvent out of the reservoir, put gasoline in it and routed the windshield wiper washer hoses to the throttle body. Hit the "squirts" and hang on! Guess it was quite a ride out of the mountains. (He was mule deer hunting)

·
Registered
734 Posts
700.00 is my guesstimate!

Somebody needs to invent an alternative fuel supply option for emergencies because the damn things go out while youre driving down the road, and you could be stranded in the middle of nowhere. It happened to a friend of mine in Wyoming. One of the ranchers out there (yes this is true) siphoned the washer solvent out of the reservoir, put gasoline in it and routed the windshield wiper washer hoses to the throttle body. Hit the "squirts" and hang on! Guess it was quite a ride out of the mountains. (He was mule deer hunting)[/b]
On my 99 Escalade I learned this trick when the pump went out, leaving the key "on" slide under the truck, and smack the center of the fuel tank with a big rubber mallet. You'll hear it spool up, truck will usually have about 100+ miles left in it at that point. Just don't shut it off till you get where you need to be.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
On my 99 Escalade I learned this trick when the pump went out, leaving the key "on" slide under the truck, and smack the center of the fuel tank with a big rubber mallet. You'll hear it spool up, truck will usually have about 100+ miles left in it at that point. Just don't shut it off till you get where you need to be.[/b]
Thanks for that! Very good to know, and sounds like it would work. (just hope I dont have to find out the hard way)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Get a few buddies, A case of beer :beerchug: and some tools and do it yourself. Its not that hard. Just unbolt the box, slide it back, and repalce the pump. Its a afternoon of work, but you will save a ton money on it. :div20:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Work truck.. has 170 k miles.. other than basic maintainence 1st dime I've put in her.... $1015.52 less$ 60.00 tow bill.. Been a great truck but WTF???[/b]
Dude, thats rediculous! A friend of mine works on vehicles as a hobby/side job in his barn. I bet he has done 6-8 of those fuel pumps in the last 3 years. They are not hard to do at all. Unbolt the box, if he's by himself lift it off with a cherry picker, put it back together and done. He can have one done by himself in less than 2 hours. I bet he would charge you less than $400 with OEM parts. I think the sending unit with pump are close to $300. Where are you located?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya I've helped with a couple myself... but not when I was 150 miles from home with no tools and no buds to help.. Talked to a couple of guys with private shops but could"nt do anything for a couple of days. The"re guestimates were $750.00-800.00 range.. Had to be back home today . Sometimes gotta do what ya gotta do..

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have done alot of these. they are not that bad a few hours and your done. well if you get a ac delco pump. the pump would be o 450 to 500 and at a dealer ship say about 300 labor. i did a 2000 enovy a few days ago. that had a $550 pump in it. not cheap thats for sure. they say it helps to never let you tank get belowe a 1/4 tank. the pump is inside the tank and needs the gas to cool it. :div20:

THINK SNOW

:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

:linemup: :celebrating:

·
Registered
898 Posts
OH Boy!! You just brought back some bad memories. I had my fuel pump go out on my 96 on the Sunday morning when we were packing up to come home from Curtis, the owner of the cabins we were staying at got on the phone and found me a pump, relay, strainer and filter in Shingleton so we hopped in my buddy's truck and went to get it. By the time we got back the cabin owner had a bunch of tools and a floor jack laid out for us so me and two friends laid on our backs in the snow, temp right around 5 F above and dropped the tank. Luckly one fella is a big strong type seeings how I had about 3/4 of a tank, he got right under it and basically bench pressed it back into place while we hooked up the straps. All said and done we were on our way home about 3 hours late. Fun times for sure :banghead:

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
he he, had gm trucks for the last 25 years. thank god for nissan. i dont care how much my stuff costs anymore. most of its covered if theres a problem. its just nice to have a kick ass truck[/b]
:gives: "The question was How much to replace the fuel pump?" Not "What do you dirve?" :bigfinger:

:gtyof: People in this Michigan forum are losing their jobs almost every week on here or having to leave their families to move out of state for work. Myself inncluded, 7 weeks now out of work, AND I DID NOT WORK FOR A UNION...EVER!

So don't bring that Import BS to this forum. :shutup2: And don't even start with the lazy UAW worker, that's neither here or there at this point. The failing US Auto Industry is now effecting our WHOLE STATE. Not just the auto worker. It is effecting the Malls, Day Cares, barber shops, resturants, Powersports stores, realtors, Marinas, etc. etc.

I am not going to go into the debate about Import vs. Domestic once again on this forum :beatingdeadhorse: There was a time last summer when I was ready to buy an import because my Domestic truck had me so mad. But I am not going to turn my back on thousands of fellow Michiganders due a simple mechanical problem they didn't create.

·
Registered
360 Posts
:gives: "The question was How much to replace the fuel pump?" Not "What do you dirve?" :bigfinger:

:gtyof: People in this Michigan forum are losing their jobs almost every week on here or having to leave their families to move out of state for work. Myself inncluded, 7 weeks now out of work, AND I DID NOT WORK FOR A UNION...EVER!

So don't bring that Import BS to this forum. :shutup2: And don't even start with the lazy UAW worker, that's neither here or there at this point. The failing US Auto Industry is now effecting our WHOLE STATE. Not just the auto worker. It is effecting the Malls, Day Cares, barber shops, resturants, Powersports stores, realtors, Marinas, etc. etc.

I am not going to go into the debate about Import vs. Domestic once again on this forum :beatingdeadhorse: There was a time last summer when I was ready to buy an import because my Domestic truck had me so mad. But I am not going to turn my back on thousands of fellow Michiganders due a simple mechanical problem they didn't create.[/b]
:div20:

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry you had to settle for a Nissan When you get 170k trouble free miles on it let me know. And no its my work truck.. not my main ride, so don't even go there. I imagine the free KARATE lessons ya got with it will come in handy, when ya talk like you do around here. You might want to THINK alittle before you go off next time

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
500 buck up here I think for parts and labor. Everyone I know of just lifts the box off also.

on my 96 it went out at 78,000 miles. I rarely ever let the truck get below a half a tank. Not sure what happened.

·
Banned
695 Posts
I had a fuel pump do that on my old S-15 I used to have...she had alot of miles on her though. I did take my 2004 Silverado to the dealer today and found the rear brakes were bad. The truck has 34,000 on it and GM covered the new rotors and labor and I had to pay for the pads...seems fair to me. Also after reading some of the posts on this forum I'm glad that I continue to drive an American made truck. I hope that some of you didn't get the wrong impression of me from the Detroit takes back the #1 rating thread....I have driven American vehicles in the past and will continue to in the future even though I own a SkiDoo. :nono:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.