Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a fuel pump lean an engine out....if so can you take them apart and clean them??....can you back flush them??..any info to on how the take them apart...any concerns to worry about once apart??....I never had one apart. My 800 ZR is running lean (EGT temps)...dealer stated the my EGT gauges are off....thought I would check the pump out. For more info...check my other forum...Temps vs. Turning...

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I don't think a dirty fuel pump would cause a lean condition. The fuel filter should catch any junk in the fuel before it gets to the pump anyway. The fuel pump should come apart fairly easily if you want to see it's guts. Pull all the fuel lines and remove it from the sled. Remove the screws that hold it together and you'll find some plastic diaphrams and rubber washers/seals. These things seldom fail or get bunged up. If your plugs and piston wash are good then your gauges and/or probes are the problem.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I've recently read of an '02 ZR8's impulse line (crankcase to fuel pump hose) turning mushy and collapsing rather than powering the pump 100%. The symptom was loss of top speed and no EGT readings were mentioned. Replacing the impulse line cured the problem. My '02 ZR8 also seems to have lost some top speed this year. I'll be looking at the impulse line first before making any other corrections.
Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts