Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you buy the electric fuel gauge how does the sensor in the tank hook up to the dash gauge? Would it be possible to hook the sensor up to the speedo unit and make use of the gauge on it? :unsure:

·
Registered
772 Posts
i belive someone posted on amsnow a while back about that and mention that it wasnt up to Cat specs or something ..that next year they will have a kit available for it..that would rock..wont have to add any gauges then!! lets up they get it to work better then the electric gauges that are out now...my 01 ZL 800 ESR my pappy has when it shows about 1/2 tank hes still got 8-9 gallons in there..there all way off

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never had nor seen an electric one before(except already installed). Heard they were way more accurate though. :huh:

How does the sensor in the tank hook up to the guage?

·
Registered
772 Posts
theres provisions for it on the harness i belive he said...or there is a tab u pop out on the back of the speedo that will plug in..either way the guys who designed the speedo said its "ready" for it...kinda like how they made reciever for home audio "Dolby Digital Ready" ...so all it needed was the encoder for the digital sound..this speedo is Electric Gas Gauge Ready!!! all we need is the wires and sensor !!! that would be cool..then it will be all backlight nice and perdy for yah at night!!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea the speedo has one of the plugs on the back ready for a guage, I was just wondering what kind of plug the current electric guages use to connect the sensor to the guage. Perhaps you could buy the sensor(for a current Cat guage) and the right kind of plug and hook it up on your own. I have the performance manual with the wiring diagrams so it seems possible... :unsure:

·
Registered
772 Posts
hmm flying...very intresting...u and i will make one..half the cost of cats kit... u do the wiring..ill get the hardware...51% me 49% you for the earnings hahaha j/k

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a good plan, we'll be rich! :lol:
I'm going to the dealer tomorrow anyways so maybe I'll do some investigating and get back on this, sure would be slick if it would work. I'll have to PM you the results and we can be the only 2 with the really cool guages! B)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anybody else have an opinion?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I think it would work but i would do i little testing/ experimenting with the old style first.
it says u need a 100ohm input. well go and see if the old style puts out 100 ohms. also i wonder if it runs off the float of the current gauge in the fcat or if you would have to install a new float?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts