Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to service the fuel gauge that are mounted in the tank of a ZR800? Mine is an 01, and figured that when I recently long-tracked it, I had to remove the seat/tank and possibly got the float system messed up... How do I fix it? Does it just come out as a pressed in assembly? I dont want to damage the tank. Any thoughts on a repair procedure or tip?

The gauge only has the pointer sitting between the full and empty marks. The float seems to move on the guides, but need to get to the inside portion to check for proper movement. How does it come out?

thanks for any help!

c ya
Rick

·
Registered
534 Posts
The gauge is just pressed in to the tank. A rubber o ring holds it in place. Take a 1" wide metal paint scrapper and work it under the gauge and pry up on it, the gauge will pop right out.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gauge is just pressed in to the tank. A rubber o ring holds it in place. Take a 1" wide metal paint scrapper and work it under the gauge and pry up on it, the gauge will pop right out.[/b]
thanks for the tip... will try it today! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the assembly came out with a bit of simple prying. It is a plastic housing with a rubber gasket pressed into the tank next to the fuel fill opening.

The metal bar that rotates the gauge indicator had fallen off into the tank from the removal/assembly when I longtracked the sled recently. However, reinstallation was a PIA. the u-shaped guide arms that the float rides up and down on were loose and coming out of the plastic housing, so tried to reinstall and hold with some hot glue. Also, the issue with reinstalling the bar that moves the indicator at the same time was a bit challenging. I installed the gasket into the tank and then hand pressed the assembly back into the tank opening. Will see how it holds up, worse case is that I have to buy a new assembly which is about $43, or just watch the mileage, fill up whenever the opportunity arises and dont go over 100 miles without fuel, so as to have some reserve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts