Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Maybe that time for my next ride and want honest good and bad comparisons on these sleds. I have read evrything on here and am just not sure. I dont want a bash fest I just want some opions to make my decision a little easier.
I am really torn on which sled to go with. The 08 Fst sounds really impressive but not much talk on it. My biggest concern is I dont want a sled with the front end glued to the ground. Is it? The gentlemen with the 700 love them when there right.
I just want a hard accerating, good riding and handling sled, oh and reliable to!

Thanks

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hey guys,

Maybe that time for my next ride and want honest good and bad comparisons on these sleds. I have read evrything on here and am just not sure. I dont want a bash fest I just want some opions to make my decision a little easier.
I am really torn on which sled to go with. The 08 Fst sounds really impressive but not much talk on it. My biggest concern is I dont want a sled with the front end glued to the ground. Is it? The gentlemen with the 700 love them when there right.
I just want a hard accerating, good riding and handling sled, oh and reliable to!

Thanks[/b]
I came off a 06 900 Fusion, the switchback blows it away on the trail, no question. The only thing I miss is the mid to top grunt, falls off a little after 95, but I'll take the tight trail handling & bumpy / washout handling over that any day, I didn't buy it for top end. I was torn between the FST switch & the Dragon, the weight of the FST was my deciding factor, almost 70 lbs on the nose. The 800 motor in this chassis will be awesome, I am happy with the 700 though.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I came off a 06 900 Fusion, the switchback blows it away on the trail, no question. The only thing I miss is the mid to top grunt, falls off a little after 95, but I'll take the tight trail handling & bumpy / washout handling over that any day, I didn't buy it for top end. I was torn between the FST switch & the Dragon, the weight of the FST was my deciding factor, almost 70 lbs on the nose. The 800 motor in this chassis will be awesome, I am happy with the 700 though.[/b]
In my opinion this is a simple decision.
If you ride hard and in areas where you don't have the option to walk home or tow it back, I wouldn't even consider mechanical reverse whether Polaris makes it or anybody else. It's a weak link and if it can be eliminated from the equation then eliminate it. PERC

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I am currently riding a 900 and I know what you mean with the grunt. Is the 7oo that much less?
I ride trails 90% of the time and the ride you decscribe is what I am looking for. 100-110mph is fast enough but I want get there. I am more concerned about 50 on acceleration and was thinking the FST may be better at this than the 700, but you guys could tell me better. Also some of the added benifits the 4 stroke would be nice.
I agree with extra 70 lbs in the front. I want to be able to not have the front glued to the ground especially through moguls or a down hill if I so choose. Is this the case with the FST?

·
Registered
709 Posts

I am currently riding a 900 and I know what you mean with the grunt. Is the 7oo that much less?
I ride trails 90% of the time and the ride you decscribe is what I am looking for. 100-110mph is fast enough but I want get there. I am more concerned about 50 on acceleration and was thinking the FST may be better at this than the 700, but you guys could tell me better. Also some of the added benifits the 4 stroke would be nice.
I agree with extra 70 lbs in the front. I want to be able to not have the front glued to the ground especially through moguls or a down hill if I so choose. Is this the case with the FST?[/b]
From what I have read about the clutching/gearing on here, you can achieve the 100+ mark easy. I have not had a chance to accurately get a top end reading, I don't have studs yet, the lakes are icy, no hard pack. I rode a 121 FST, power is awesome but it is not a hard charging trail pounder like the Fusion or the Switchback. The 700 fills the low end void the 900 didn't have, real snappy, reminds me of 2 stroke dirt bike. I think the FST switch will kill the 700 on the lakes, the FST will be the only Polaris that will give you that mid to top pull you want. You could hold out to see what the new 800 motor does, I can't imagine Polaris not putting that in the Switchback next year. You need to ride both, any good dealer will let you take one out for a beating.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I have read about the clutching/gearing on here, you can achieve the 100+ mark easy. I have not had a chance to accurately get a top end reading, I don't have studs yet, the lakes are icy, no hard pack. I rode a 121 FST, power is awesome but it is not a hard charging trail pounder like the Fusion or the Switchback. The 700 fills the low end void the 900 didn't have, real snappy, reminds me of 2 stroke dirt bike. I think the FST switch will kill the 700 on the lakes, the FST will be the only Polaris that will give you that mid to top pull you want. You could hold out to see what the new 800 motor does, I can't imagine Polaris not putting that in the Switchback next year. You need to ride both, any good dealer will let you take one out for a beating.[/b]
Great post...........Wow, you dont make this decision any easier! I agree if the 800 switcher exsited this would be the no brainer.

What are you seeing for fuel and oil consimption? Seems like this is reslly the only issue with 700 and when its right you have a good one. Why all the inconsities that Im reading about?

·
Registered
205 Posts

I agree with extra 70 lbs in the front. I want to be able to not have the front glued to the ground especially through moguls or a down hill if I so choose. Is this the case with the FST?[/b]

The 700 switchback is 70+ pounds lighter. Off trail its a better choice, lighter and plenty of power
I have a 07 FST switch. IMO it handels the same as the 700 switch on trail. Their both great sleds.
It sounds like you are more interested in 0-115. If thats the case the FST switch is the answer.
Its been my experiance that all you need to do is throw pics "144 pattern" on it and there is not a >>STOCK<< sled ever built [as of 07 ] that will even stay close [from 0-115]
As far as wieght up front. Its there but I realy dont notice it. Easy to turn, and handels great.
I trail ride 75% Most of the rest is lakes and a little powder.
If you want to know more on how it rates when lined up on specific models :smiley-faces7: e mail me. :ylsuper:
I dont know how the 08 FST switchs do. I havent seen one out there yet? I hope owners are happy with them.
PS:
Im very curious as to the how the 800 preforms? Sounds like a great setup. Less wieght and gobs of power!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Great post...........Wow, you dont make this decision any easier! I agree if the 800 switcher exsited this would be the no brainer.

What are you seeing for fuel and oil consimption? Seems like this is reslly the only issue with 700 and when its right you have a good one. Why all the inconsities that Im reading about?[/b]
Averaging 12 mpg, I have not been able to get a real feel on consumption yet, If I go blast in the powder, I don't expect to sip the fuel. I was seeing 90 miles per quart, I cleaned the oil pump assembly with throttle body cleaner and doused it with cable lube, it did improve the consumption. The oil pump lever was hanging open 1/4 before I did that. I do have to adjust it properly, cable is loose. I was getting 10 mpg on the hammer with the fusion, 15 going easy on tight trails, I expect the same, if not a little improvement. Pulling a heaver & longer track than the 121, I don't expect 20 mpg.

·
Registered
544 Posts
700 CFI SB is the only way to go, I had 2 FST's, one blew a Head Gasket, I enjoy the 2 stroke way more than the 4 and will stay 2 stroke, if you are prepared to pay attention to your 4 stroke and deal with things that come up and stuff you don't have then buy one but for me I will always support 2 stroke. :beer_cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts