Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 FST classic and took it in for the heatshield and reflash update. When I loaded it up on
the trailer it was not running good like a fouled plug. Had the dealer do the update and replaced the
plugs they were fouled ,Now it will idle and idles good and the just quits it trips no codes and checked
fuel pressure and that is at 43psi when quits checked stop switch checked ecu connections checked
TPS it has the right settings polaris is trying to help but they are lost also. Even went as far as replacing
ECU still no change. It will run 5-6 minutes one time 2-3 minutes the next time and sometime as much as
10 minutes checked connections had the unit on digital wrench still cannot find anything even reflashed
it again any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
233 Posts
This is only my experience not law. I had this happen when it was brand new.

1. Check the plug behind the chain case which is the fuel pump wire. On my sled the plug was bad and dealer replaced it with a good plug and that fixed that. If this is the problem you should be able to feed 12 volts to the tank side of the plug and the sled should continue to run.

2. Also had same type of problem with a plug under air box. This involves removing seat and fuel tank. Then the dealer reached under air box and the pluig was not pluged all the way in. One time it would go 20 feet the next time 2 miles. This was diagnoised by Polaris tech support.

I would start with the fuel pump plug.

(I can not read for s***, I missed the part were the fuel presure held.)

I would still run the fuel pump direct. If you have compression, fuel and air it should run. And you said it idles fine. It is easy to try this and costs nothing.

FST

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree; this sounds like fuel feed and a bad connection or intermitten connection or broken wire sending 12 volts to the fuel pump. Maybe a bad pump?? Since the dealer was messing with the wiring, you might want to just open the hood and start checking to see if you can see something that is not fully connected. Then look for a pinched wire. Since these sleds have lots of wires and hoses flopping around and rubbing places, it is very likely you have something grounding out or worn thru.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tryied the 12v to the fuel pump direct and still has the same problem and there is now way
that I know of to hook a timming light to the coil wires to see if it is loosing spark when it quits
and it does hold fuel pressure when it quits. I thought I was on to something when I hooked
12v to the pump the first time it stayed running until I shut it off and that was before it got
hot. Then tried it again it still seemed to quit. I appreciate the advice you guys are giving me.
This sled is giving me more grey hair then my kids, so please keep sending me those suggestions.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It sounds like you might not be getting past a grounded wire. It is well established that the wires and hoses on this machine were not very well laid out and that they rub on all sorts of things they should not. A grounded wire could easily be doing what you describe. Get ready to roll up your sleeves and start pulling things apart to get at all the wires and hoses.

But why are YOU having to do all this? This sled has warrantee and your dealer should be doing it for you. That is part of his job, and he should be more qualified to trouble shoot this than you are. Although it has been well established also that there is a very wide latitude in the capability department of dealerships and perhaps the one you have just doesn't have the wherewithall to get this job done. Never-the-less, it is his job, and he has resources for the tough jobs. But perhaps it is time to find a better more qualified dealer? You paid a bunch of money for this sled and you have rights to a sled that at least works well past the warrantee. If they can't find the problem, you need to kick it up a notch and force their hand to get it right or get you a new sled. No time to be shy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I tryied the 12v to the fuel pump direct and still has the same problem and there is now way
that I know of to hook a timming light to the coil wires to see if it is loosing spark when it quits
and it does hold fuel pressure when it quits. I thought I was on to something when I hooked
12v to the pump the first time it stayed running until I shut it off and that was before it got
hot. Then tried it again it still seemed to quit. I appreciate the advice you guys are giving me.
This sled is giving me more grey hair then my kids, so please keep sending me those suggestions.[/b]
I am just wondering if the problem lies this time with the fact that you shut it off before it got hot. Whenever you start these things it is very important to let it warm completely or they will foul plugs and do all sorts of nasty things..

·
Registered
357 Posts
The motor quits, not hard to start. Not fouled plugs, likely a short or maybe even a bad throttle safety switch. There is likely a loose wire vibrating around and causing a short over time. My guess is a bad safety switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.