Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a picture of someones 700 or 800 sleds on where the hole is near the front shock tower to mount the front torque arm for my 660. I am guessing it is lower on the aluminum but I need a picture to better see what it looks like and where it is :dunno: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,230 Posts
Find the microfiche for the '04 pro xr 440. It has a factory torque arm and will be the same as small block 600. Actually heard you could buy parts for 440 and bolt right onto 600.

Could go onto partsland.com to find pic of torque arm on 440.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I need is a picture because I have to drill the hole out to put the torque arm on. I just want to see someone elses hole location on the aluminum shock tower. They did not drill this hole from the factory on the 600 chassis. :banana:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
Christ are those things overpriced! I think I'll make my own torque arm instead of buying one from Poo at those prices...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,167 Posts
The parts for pro x are individual and pricey. I bought a full engine torque kit from Polaris pn 2870640 for 29.99 cdn. I have used this set up before with excellent results. However this time I wanted the rubber dampened hiem joint the pro x uses and SLP. So I adapted rubber hiem (torque limiter) polaris pn 3021411 for $ 56.99 cdn to kit.

The rubber dampened heim joint is available aftermarket but not locally near where I live. There is no play in set up using rubber hiem so I have some vibration in bars, I plan to play with set up soon. The $30.00 complete kit I mentioned above has two solid heims but you could leave 10 thou slack to eliminate vibration, which I think I should have done. The torque arm on pro x is designed to be attached directly (solid welded?) to shock tower.

A lot of parts are used in other aplications in the world and are not exclusive to Polaris. If you can figure them out, bypassing Polaris you can save big $. I remember finding the exact same coolant pressure cap for my xcr for a pontiac firefly from UAP for $8.00. My xc has the same one installed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
I'm planning on building my own torque stop out of some angle iron, a heim joint, some threaded rod, and some rubber washers for vibration dampening. Should cost me about 15 bucks and work just as well as the overpriced Poo unit.
 

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
Joined
·
6,572 Posts
Originally posted by Matt@Oct 19 2005, 09:28 AM
I'm planning on building my own torque stop out of some angle iron, a heim joint, some threaded rod, and some rubber washers for vibration dampening.  Should cost me about 15 bucks and work just as well as the overpriced Poo unit.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=940110
[/quote]

That 3021411 rubber dampened heim end is used on
'03 440 PROX
'04 440 PROXR
'05 440 IQ and probably on the '06 as well.

That is a good idea Matt, you must have the old brain cells cooking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
where are you gonna put the rubber? between the angle and motor? and tower and brkt? Don't think ive ever seen a dampened heim joint
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,167 Posts
Originally posted by Matt@Oct 19 2005, 10:28 AM
I'm planning on building my own torque stop out of some angle iron, a heim joint, some threaded rod, and some rubber washers for vibration dampening.  Should cost me about 15 bucks and work just as well as the overpriced Poo unit.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=940110
[/quote]

Matt, you cannot build a kit for less than the complete kit Polaris sells. It includes mounts, fasteners, threaded adjustment rod with left and right hand threads( u can't make that) and two solid heims that alone sell for more than the complete kit at $30.00 cdn! engine torque kit from Polaris pn 2870640 for 29.99. As I stated previously I adapted the rubber heim to the kit, I am not sure it was worth it as I now have some vibration. I have never felt vibration with solid heims as long as I give it 10 thou slack. The $30 kit works on a 200 hp sled fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
Finally had a chance to get my Polaris torque arm installed. I had to make some modifications to get it to fit, but I think it turned out ok. Hopefully the aluminum bracket on the motor will hold up. Total cost was $20...$17 for the Polaris part and $3 for the bolts, nuts, and aluminum stock.
[attachment=113438:attachment][attachment=113439:attachment][attachment=113440:a
tachment]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
looks good but I would be worried about where the bolt goes through the bulkhead. You just have aluminum and your bolt is only supported by a few nuts and a washer. I saw this as a problem when I did mine. I bought two nylon spacers that were about an inch around. This will give the connection to the bulk head alot more strength, and resist any tendency of the bolt to want to pull forward by the torque arm when the engine is under load, plus will cut down on vibration too. I will take more pictures and repost them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,230 Posts
Originally posted by PolarisNut@Nov 6 2005, 08:18 PM
Finally had a chance to get my Polaris torque arm installed.  I had to make some modifications to get it to fit, but I think it turned out ok.  Hopefully the aluminum bracket on the motor will hold up.  Total cost was $20...$17 for the Polaris part and $3 for the bolts, nuts, and aluminum stock.
[attachment=113438:attachment][attachment=113439:attachment][attachment=113440:a
tachment]
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=986193
[/quote]

What's the part number for the $17 Polaris part?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
Originally posted by x2madman@Nov 6 2005, 10:54 PM
looks good but I would be worried about where the bolt goes through the bulkhead.  You just have aluminum and your bolt is only supported by a few nuts and a washer.  I saw this as a problem when I did mine.  I bought two nylon spacers that were about an inch around.  This will give the connection to the bulk head alot more strength, and resist any tendency of the bolt to want to pull forward by the torque arm when the engine is under load, plus will cut down on vibration too.  I will take more pictures and repost them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=986791
[/quote]

I thought about that, but the SLP one mounts very similar. Ideally you want the torque arm to mount as close to the bulkhead as possible to prevent side-loading, but that was as close as I could get it. I'm not sure how hard the motor is really going to be pulling on the arm. I'll keep a watch on it and see. I'd like to see those pics.


Originally posted by nhrev@Nov 6 2005, 11:49 PM
What's the part number for the $17 Polaris part?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=986880
[/quote]
2870640
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,167 Posts
So the torque arm kit was $17 US versus $30 CDN - Good deal. The kit comes with a steel bracket, how come you used aluminum? The set up you have always worked for me as long as I gave it 10 thou slack to eliminate vibration. To get the slack I used a 10mm bolt in bulkhead instead of the 3/8". :div20:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
Originally posted by Thinksno@Nov 7 2005, 06:38 PM
So the torque arm kit was $17 US versus $30 CDN - Good deal. The kit comes with a steel bracket, how come you used aluminum? The set up you have always worked for me as long as I gave it 10 thou slack to eliminate vibration. To get the slack I used a 10mm bolt in bulkhead instead of the 3/8".    :div20:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=988411
[/quote]

Yup 17 bucks...not too shabby. Even the dealer thought it was a deal considering how expensive those endlinks are. That steel bracket didnt fit on my motor. It was too short to bridge the two bolt holes. Thought it was kinda weird?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Sorry to sound like an idiot but...

What dose that do exactly? :dunno:

(Stop motor Movment??? Is that a problem?)
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top