Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adjusted my front springs yesterday & went for a ride. I dropped down the front springs at least an inch & figured I could adjust them out on the trails. Well I got out on the trails & noticed that the front way too low & tried to adjust...no go. I figured they were iced up & proceded to ride with the current setting. Well today I went to adjust them back to the original position...no go. I noticed that the bottom spring holder was out of alignment with the spring. Sorry for the lack of technical knowleadge I will try & describe things the best that I can. From what I can see both springs cannot be adjusted...possibly due to the fact that the upper spring holders are missing? Is it possible that the upper spring holders fell out or broke? I only went 50 miles on smooth trails. Also I noticed that the springs were rubbing on the shock & A- Arms. Any guidance or help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

·
Administrator
20,829 Posts
Hey!! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who made this mistake :wacko:

What happened was, you loosened your springs up so loose that the spring retainer (black ring on the top of the shock) fell out. You might have hit a bump or something that brought your front end completely off the ground. When all the weight is off the skis, those spring retainers can fall right off the shocks.

Happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember the part, but I'll reply in a bit after going out to browns website.

The part you're missing is called a spring retainer ... that much I know.

Chris

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help...I was wondering if any damage could have occured. Would have been nice If there was a warning regarding what could have happened with the retainer. Will cat give me 2 retainers for free or will I have to eat the cost? What is involved with getting the upper retainers back on? Thanks for the help!

Eric

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Eric,
When adjusting the front end you need to jack up the front end and get all the weight off the skis. That way you can see when you have taken all the preload out of the springs. Keep the retainers at least slightly tight. A couple of turns will do. Otherwise if you leave the sled on the ground the springs will just keep compressing. Then when you get the skis off the ground when riding the spring retainer will get loose like what happened to you and fall off.

Cat S.

·
Administrator
20,829 Posts
CMSCAT is 100% correct ... the fix is pretty simple. Once you get the weight off the front end, you can fix the shocks.

It's not really a warranty-related problem, but you never know ... you're dealer might be cool and eat the cost. But just to make you aware, the parts only cost about $3/piece.

I was on www.brownsleisureworld.com, and was unable to find a 2003 "Standard F7", so I can't give you the diagram for that. But, I did go to the F6 for 2004 which should be the same as the F7 standard, and found this:

http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/Parts/SN...OCKABSORBER.htm

The part you're looking for is #23 I believe?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts