Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Anyone doing any adjustment to their front springs on their Standard F7. Rob has posted that he loosened his off until there was no preload on the spring and then tightened up a full turn. I believe he has a sno-pro.

I tried this on my standard suspension and the spring goes right down to the bottom of the adjuster. Different springs I would think obviously.

What type of things do I look for when adjusting the front springs. I have had quite a bit of inside ski lift and darting under decelleration. My toe is now 3/8 of and inch.

Maybe Iwill put the spring back to stock and see how it handles with the change in toe.

Still any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bryan

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Bryan, the front ski springs on my standard F7 came set with 2 1/2" of threads showing. I always do a test with my new sleds by jacking up the front end until the skis are off the ground, and then seeing how loose the front springs can be set before they are TOO loose (springs loose between the top retaining cap and the threaded plastic spring adjuster). On MY std F7, any less than 2" of threads showing would be too loose IMO.

While you're experimenting with front end adjustment, don't be afraid to also try tighter settings than stock on your front springs as well. I've found that this can sometimes markedly improve handling by eliminating some of the front end body roll. You just have to be aware that after tightening to/past a certain point, that you will be eventually raising the ride height and/or stiffening the front end ride quality. -- Roy

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you are experiencing lots of ski lift while cornering, try loosening the preload on the middle spring. (front shock, rear suspension) Lift the rear up and loosen the spring until the retainers are free, then tighten it back up a turn or two. What was your toe set at before you adjusted it? If it was out of whack, your darting problem is probably already fixed.

Note: Always adjust spring preload with the suspension "unloaded" (raised) to avoid over-loosening the spring. If you are testing a setting with very little preload, stop and verify that the spring retainers are staying in place after a short ride. If the preload is too little, the retainers will come un-seated, and potentially fall out! :eek:

-bullwhip

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going to try loosening the front skid shock and give it a whirl. Just installed 102 studs on so I should be a little different ride than I am used to.

Stock toe was neutral, now it is at 3/8. Going out tonight tell you what i think. I will be keeping the front springs at stock settings for now.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
F7 I tightened my springs 3 full turns before I even rode it to add ski pressure because of the so called push issues. I have 144 studs installed and rode it this way with the stock 4" carbide installed with full intentions of upgrading to 6" or 7.5" shaper bars after the first ride. I also set the coupler blocks on 2 after riding about 70 miles on 1. I weigh 190 lbs and can honestly say after 130 miles I'm probably 85% dialed in. Push wasn't too bad at all surprisingly with only 4" of carbide so I amreasonably confident based on some of the comments I've read that the addition of shaper bars should get me close to 100% of where I want to be. Incidentally I keep reading about the sno pro guys backing off the front spring of the rear suspension but the standard must be quite a bit softer cause of I take anymore tension off I'm sure I'll be bottoming that quite often. My .02 cents Jeff

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went out tonight ditch banging, my darting is gone thanks to the toe adjustment. Loosened the front skid spring off until loose and the tightened up 1 turn.

Couplers are on 3 and the rear springs are on 2 and 3. I weigh about 240lbs.

Seemed not to suck up the bumps as good as before but seemed to want to turn better with your weight up to the front by the gas tank little better than before, mind you I was only on 4 inches of powder and driving in fields.

Maybe I will go a little higher on the front shock preload and see what that does. I didn't mind what I had tonight, have to get on some decent trails to make a full evalutation though.

Man this sled rocks, need alot of room to get it going, and alot more snow.

Talk to ya

Bryan

Oh yeah got stopped by the cops, something about not be permitted to ride on private property. lol
:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts