Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddies little SRX has been giving me a go here the last few times out... Of course mines not broke in with only 300 miles, but still!

He always pulls me out of the hole.... we're dead on midrange and up and I know I have him on top... but FAWK!

I just want to put him to rest L!

those sleds run strong if set up right... :0(

I may have to go back to stock gearing.... this Thundercat helix is not as strong as the stock it would seem?

I'm about 165-170lbs.... running front shocks as soft as possible, rear suspension shock loosened off all the way... rear coupling blocks completely removed, suspension on 1

I'm running 170 studs on a 1" track

I'm maxing at 7900 RPM

Help please

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
300 miles is plenty of break in. What amazes me is the racers don't put any miles barely on their new sleds and then run them hard. There needs to be some break in, but 300 is enough. The engine might loosen up a little bit, but not enought to make a seat of the pants difference.

·
Registered
195 Posts
check adjustment of your APV cables and thorttle cables. They have a tendancy to stretch during break in, so you valves and throttle might not be opening 100%

·
Registered
485 Posts
:ph34r: A properly set up srx is a dangerous weapon to even the largest of sleds, smile your on a light weight twin !! Ride down a rough trail with him an see who gets beat up, the srx is a great lake runner but not everyone stays on the lake. :lol:

·
Registered
141 Posts
An SRX WILL run away from us on top end. A friend of mine has one and when clutched, geared etc. it has pulled 129 mph on radar. The SRX is definately the weapon on choice when it comes to running lakes. On the trail it is still a great machine but when it gets rough, say goodbye. And I can't imagine trying any kind of airbourne manouvers with it. I still prefer the F7 but it's too bad they don't make the SRX anymore. They should have scraped the Viper, kept the SRX as the RX-1 ton's little brother and all would be well. The F7 big advantage on the SRX however is it's massive midrange. Htis same SRX would get me out of the hole (clutching, 240 studs and high comp heads will do that), but at the 300' foot mark I would start reeling him back in and would be near a dead heat at the finish line of the 660'. Give it another 50' and I would tromp him, but then again give him another 500' and he would leave me behind.

speedmerchant

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'm happy I was not the only one having problems with the SRX.
After hearing about guys beating everything but the Concord on here I had the chance to race 2 SRX's. Both seemed the same as I kept up with them in 1000ft, but never was in front.
Speedmerchant, Your right about the mid-range on this sled, I was surprised that I was actually catching up to the SRX at one point.

·
Registered
141 Posts
hey Jamie, the midrange is remarkable. I've ridden lots of sleds but nothing with such an exlposive midrange. On the trail, providing it's wide enough I can pretty much go by the SRX any time I want. At 40-60 mph if you jam the throttle it's similar to a sport bike...the front end gets light, ski's come off the ground just enough to have minimal steering and the whole machine literaly flexes. I love it! I also race cars on road circuits, so I get some great speed thrills, but I have to say I will always remember the forward thrust the Firecat is capable of...it's the stuff of legends. I'll be telling my grandkids about someday.

speedmerchant

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well... 'that' makes me feel better

sounds like we're all running about the same against that sled. I was very suprised the SRX was pulling like that.. Last night I took his for a ride and the power seemed almost TOO smooth.. you cannot judge how fast your going at all

But I still feel more power on mine if you jam the throttle at 70 mph.. there's more hit on the F7 at that speed.

Plus this guy I'm goof'n with might weight 135-140 tops! and has 196 picks to my 170 trail studs

Those sleds haul ass and seem twice as small coming off the F7 onto that body style.

I'll keep working... I diffinately have to get my limiter straps shortened! Maybe put the blocks back in as well...

·
Registered
564 Posts
The SRX is the best sled yami has ever built. Us blue loyalist are pissed its gone and had a 4 stroke shoved down our throat as a replacement. If you think the SRX has a smooth pull, ride an RX-1, it doesnt feel near as fast, but setup correctly, spanks an SRX. Heres my problem, I sit with a RX-1 and a F5. The RX-1 is great on the lakes, but forget it in the bumps, infact, id rather ride my old 00 SRX on bumps, at least it stays on top of them. The F5 is a very fun sled and pulls strong for what it is. So, what do i do. Dump the RX-1 ton, and get what. F7, ZR900, REV800HO. Dont know. But the more I think about it, the ZR900 may be the ultimate sled for me. Handles bumps, handles corners excellent, and goes like a raped ape. But then again, the REV is a cool sled, but looks like hell. Decisions, decisions.
Would someone please build me a bump sled with a 3x3 that weighs less than 520, is that asking to much, aparantly it is. ZR900 it is. Black please...BBY

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
BBY, Take a look at the Blair Morgan Rev 800, Lost the bever tail & looks better then the original. If not all the Zr900 owners seem happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts