Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Floating or shimmed tight,I always freefloat and have had good luck with cool clutches and belts Whats everbody else do?

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
Floating or shimmed tight,I always freefloat and have had good luck with cool clutches and belts Whats everbody else do?[/b]
wondered about this also,,all my Cats I let free float,,removed the thickest shim,,this sled I tried it both ways,,the O-rings throws off not sure how to run it,, how do you run yours? do you remove the O-rings? .....R2R

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Just jumping in to watch feedback. I didn't realise mine was missing the o-rings and it was floating. Had no problems but adding the rings and now its tight. Curious to see if there is any issues floating it as you'd think it would self align better if a tight set up is not perfect.

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
Just jumping in to watch feedback. I didn't realise mine was missing the o-rings and it was floating. Had no problems but adding the rings and now its tight. Curious to see if there is any issues floating it as you'd think it would self align better if a tight set up is not perfect.[/b]
Yeah,,that what I was wondering,, even when you remove a shim with the O-rings it still doesn't float right,,thought about tossing em and running it without them..why they call it float is beyond me,,it sure won't the way it comes from the factory,, like to hear what others are doing...R2R

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
i float it on my ZR and have never had to change the belt.
going to setup the F7 the same way.

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
I've been running without the Orings for a couple years now. Nothing catastropic is going to happen if you remove them and shim it correctly.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I've been running without the Orings for a couple years now. Nothing catastropic is going to happen if you remove them and shim it correctly.[/b]
Thats the key, shim it correctly. Let it float on the shaft, and eventually you will wear down the shaft and the inside of the clutch. Better to spend a few bucks on a clutch alignment tool, get the offset and center to center perfect, sure does help belt life and will never hurt your performance.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I think you should do the alignment procedure with the bar then shim it tight and use the "O" Rings. Peace,beeler

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Thats the key, shim it correctly. Let it float on the shaft, and eventually you will wear down the shaft and the inside of the clutch. Better to spend a few bucks on a clutch alignment tool, get the offset and center to center perfect, sure does help belt life and will never hurt your performance.[/b]
Have never worn out a clutch shaft in all the years I have owned different Cat's, and all were floating before the Fcat. That's what grease/anti sieze is for.
From what I understand the o-rings were added to:
1) keep the clutch from rusting onto the shaft (ie: keep the water/moisture out)
2) reduce noise from the clutch banging against the key during clutch engagement (ie: quieter)

Not for any kind of performance gains.

I can not hear mine when it's running anyway so I don't think it really makes that much of a difference (ie: no o-rings).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts