Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning a day trip from Frederic to Ranch Rudolph Friday or Sat (1/18 or 1/19) and after looking at the maps it looks like the best way is to head toward Houghton and the west over to the Boardman. Anybody know of a better route? Or the trail numbers? Thanks for any help! Have a fun and safe weekend!

·
Registered
177 Posts
We are planning a day trip from Frederic to Ranch Rudolph Friday or Sat (1/18 or 1/19) and after looking at the maps it looks like the best way is to head toward Houghton and the west over to the Boardman. Anybody know of a better route? Or the trail numbers? Thanks for any help! Have a fun and safe weekend![/b]
Anneski -- It is very tough to go that way. It can be done but you really have to watch your fuel consumption. You will probably have to go out of your way once to get gas.

I have ridden from Fife Lake to Gaylord a couple of times without going all the way down to Houghton. There is a better/faster way to go. I know how to do it without looking at a map, therefore I do not know the names of the trails/backroads to take but I can give you an idea and when I get a chance I will go out to my car and grab a trail map to try to clear up what I am about to tell you. Basically, you head south from Gaylord and then catch a trail that goes west. At some point you cross a road called Sharon. This road usually has plenty of room to ride on and can be used to jump over to the Traverse County trails. You end up just north of Fife Lake where you can catch the Orange trail (#5 I think). Once you are on this trail, signs for Ranch Rudolph are pleantyful as it is a popular bar in the area.

Like I said, I know that doesn't help all that much but I will try to clear it up for you. RR is a great place to eat and the trails in the area are nice...you should enjoy it!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ok, I grabbed a map on my lunch break and I think I can provide a little more clarification as to what I was talking about. I am assuming you are comming from the #79 trail and will turn and head South on the #76 trail. The #76 trail will cross an unplowed road called Riverview Road. Make a right and you will head Southwest on Riverview Road. This will end at North Sharon Road where you will make a left (South) and then a quick right (West) onto Sharon Road CR-608. For the next 5 miles you will be riding on the side of a fairly untravelled county road (legal for snowmobiles to ride). You will then cross M-66 and continue heading West on Sharon Rd but it becomes a two-track trail shortly after you cross M-66. Continue on about 10 miles (at some point Sharon becomes Van's Lane) and you will see Lake Road. Make a right (North) on Lake Road. You are now on the #5 trail as Lake Road is a groomed trail. Stay on #5 and follow the signs all the way to Ranch Rudolph (make a left at the first trail crossing to stay on the #5).

Like I said before, I have done this a couple of times and it can be a very pleasant alternative to going all the way south to Houghton and then come all the way back up north to catch the #5. Becasue of the 5 miles that you have to ride alongside the country road, it is best done if there is fresh snow to ride on. Other than that it is a fairly easy and fun ride. Good Luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I grabbed a map on my lunch break and I think I can provide a little more clarification as to what I was talking about. I am assuming you are comming from the #79 trail and will turn and head South on the #76 trail. The #76 trail will cross an unplowed road called Riverview Road. Make a right and you will head Southwest on Riverview Road. This will end at North Sharon Road where you will make a left (South) and then a quick right (West) onto Sharon Road CR-608. For the next 5 miles you will be riding on the side of a fairly untravelled county road (legal for snowmobiles to ride). You will then cross M-66 and continue heading West on Sharon Rd but it becomes a two-track trail shortly after you cross M-66. Continue on about 10 miles (at some point Sharon becomes Van's Lane) and you will see Lake Road. Make a right (North) on Lake Road. You are now on the #5 trail as Lake Road is a groomed trail. Stay on #5 and follow the signs all the way to Ranch Rudolph (make a left at the first trail crossing to stay on the #5).

Like I said before, I have done this a couple of times and it can be a very pleasant alternative to going all the way south to Houghton and then come all the way back up north to catch the #5. Becasue of the 5 miles that you have to ride alongside the country road, it is best done if there is fresh snow to ride on. Other than that it is a fairly easy and fun ride. Good Luck![/b]
Thanks so much! I think I know where you're talking about and I do have a couple Co maps that I plan on taking. I've been to RR numerous times in the summer and it's a blast. I'm trying to avoid Tip up town at all costs. Thanks again!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks so much! I think I know where you're talking about and I do have a couple Co maps that I plan on taking. I've been to RR numerous times in the summer and it's a blast. I'm trying to avoid Tip up town at all costs. Thanks again![/b]
You are welcome...RR is my main hangout in the winter and I would say I would meet you up there and show you around the Grand Traverse trails but I will be in Vegas this weekend. Enjoy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts