Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else having problems with the Floats on their 05's ??? Mine keep leaking air out when sitting and riding. Dealer says he's lloking into it, but every time I ask, he still is waitng to hear back from CAT. Love the shocks, just not so much when having to continually add air on the trail. Heard the 06's have an updated internal part to prevent this... ????????

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
my guess is your dealer is blowin you off... i doubt if cat is going to do anything since most of the shocks dont have issues....

what needs to be done is have the shocks rebuilt... all fox shocks should be rebuilt anyway within the first 500 to 1000 miles from new....

when you get them rebuilt you can also have them updated with a spring that goes inside that is supposed to assist with proper sag....

the 06 models have this spring.... i dont think air loss is the reason why the new ones have the spring...

my shocks didnt lose air without the spring... but when i have mine rebuilt this fall they will be updated.... :div20:

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I understand the rebuild idea. The problem is the sled did it from day one.... before we even had snow to ride ! It gets worse with riding, so I ended up putting my custom valved shocks off my 03 Pro mod on to complete the season. My dealer is my cousin, so I don't think he's blowing me off.....but I am sure Cat is ignoring it ........

·
Banned
14,035 Posts
Call the consumer line and log a complaint, if they say they havent heard of it before, firmly tell them you dont like being lied to, as they are aware of the problem.....

I spent much of the winter working on this.... first step is to tighten the fill valve core(a normal tire valve tool works)
If you still have problems get ahold of Fox directly.
As a note to every one with float shocks, The shocks will go 2 seasons between rebuilds (almost no chance of water getting into the shock oil) but Directly from fox "you must remove the air chamber change the float fluid and pack grease between the air seals every year"

Krom

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Originally posted by zr8guy@Aug 28 2005, 02:06 PM
my guess is your dealer is blowin you off...  i doubt if cat is going to do anything since most of the shocks dont have issues....

what needs to be done is have the shocks rebuilt...  all fox shocks should be rebuilt anyway within the first 500 to 1000 miles from new....

when you get them rebuilt you can also have them updated with a spring that goes inside that is supposed to assist with proper sag....

the 06 models have this spring....  i dont think air loss is the reason why the new ones have the spring...

my shocks didnt lose air without the spring...  but when i have mine rebuilt this fall they will be updated....    :div20:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=850803
[/quote]

how much does it cost to get the shocks rebuilt? and how much extra to have the spring put in? and do you gotta ship back to fox to get them done?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Originally posted by Krom@Aug 28 2005, 02:49 PM
Call the consumer line and log a complaint, if they say they havent heard of it before, firmly tell them you dont like being lied to, as they are aware of the problem.....

I spent much of the winter working on this....  first step is to tighten the fill valve core(a normal tire valve tool works)
If you still have problems get ahold of Fox directly.
As a note to every one with float shocks, The shocks will go 2 seasons between rebuilds (almost no chance of water getting into the shock oil)  but Directly from fox "you must remove the air chamber change the float fluid and pack grease between the air seals every year"

Krom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=850846
[/quote]

so if you have to do all that, mine as well just rebuild them while your at it id say....

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Originally posted by thesweeper09@Aug 28 2005, 02:54 PM
how much does it cost to get the shocks rebuilt? and how much extra to have the spring put in? and do you gotta ship back to fox to get them done?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=850852
[/quote]

a shock rebuild usually cosys around $35 per shock... more if parts are added tho...

im not sure how much it will be to add the spring, but i doubt its expensive....

there are lots of performance companies out there who can rebuild your shox...

·
Banned
14,035 Posts
Originally posted by zr8guy@Aug 28 2005, 08:32 PM
so if you have to do all that, mine as well just rebuild them while your at it id say....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=851291
[/quote]

Its nothing to remove the air sleeve and lube the seals, just pull the shock from the sled, let the air out and grab the outer black sleeve with your hand, it will unscrew and slide right off, no tools required, just pack the area between the seals with grease and add 1 cc of float fluid.

Krom

·
Registered
384 Posts
Originally posted by Krom@Aug 28 2005, 10:32 PM
Its nothing to remove the air sleeve and lube the seals, just pull the shock from the sled, let the air out and grab the outer black sleeve with your hand, it will unscrew and slide right off, no tools required, just pack the area between the seals with grease and add 1 cc of float fluid.

Krom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=851474
[/quote]

What is the float fluid and what is it for? Is this fluid in the air chamber? :dunno:

·
Banned
14,035 Posts
dont need to swap it, just make sure its good and tight, if your that close to your dealer, he should just write a warranty, and give you a new one.
Float fluid is the lube that is in the airchamber.

Krom

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Originally posted by Krom@Aug 28 2005, 10:32 PM

Krom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=851474
[/quote]

ok, cool...

:beerchug:

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
well if u put the air in when you are in the warm air... the air is warm... when you go outside the air contracts due to the temperature change... thus there will be less pressure in the shocks then when the air was expanded in the warm garage

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.