Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold my polaris two years ago (stupid mistake) and now want back in the game but can't decide what to buy! Been a polaris fan forever but now with rising fuel costs looking for the best bang for my buck.
Wondering what people's opinion on the real comparision is between two or four strokes? Fuel mileage? SPEED? I'm looking to spend any where from eight to ten grand. My friends and I like to put long miles hitting it hard, but are also known to go for the day and just screw off. Been looking at the Switchback FST, MXz 800 and the yamaha's but every time I think I found the one I like I look at something else..............I need some help and some honest info.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I prefer 4stroke. The benefits arent exactly clear cut like everyone thinks. You can get a sdi 600 and get equal or better mileage than most new four strokes but then you stink of two stroke (I hate that some like it). Out of your list I would be going with the fst. Yamahas are nice but I dont care what anyone says the apex is just as loud maybe worse than any two stroke. Out of yamahas line up I would prefer the vector in the apex chassis but would probably lean towards the fx nytro. For trail cruising look at Cats Jag.

·
Registered
375 Posts
i will tell you to never buy an fst, why? They are tanks F=four S=stroke T=tanks, they are so hard to corner, but htey are very fast on the straights. Yes i have ridden them and i hate them. They are so heavy, youd have to have guns like me just to turn it(most people dont). Yamaha(as much as i hate them) has very nice feeling four strokers and doo has good gas milage 2 strokes, i love two strokes, the smell, the weight, but not the appetite. From what you describe, i would not buy a polaris, i love polaris, but they arnt the easiest on fuel. When we had an FST Switch, it only got 14mpg! My buddy's dad has an Apex and that gets at least 18 all day long. We also have SDIs that will get 16-20 consistentaly. I would have to say an MXZ600SDI or an Apex for what your describing.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Buddy bought a four stroke T660 last year and is already looking to get rid of it and go back to a lighter sled. Liked the power but totally hates the weight of the four stroke.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Buddy bought a four stroke T660 last year and is already looking to get rid of it and go back to a lighter sled. Liked the power but totally hates the weight of the four stroke.[/b]
Should read "hates the weight of the Arctic Cat T660 four stroke. Don't generalize them all like that.

Here's how I look at the options, but really you should ride them all before making a final choice.

Light weight 2 stroke, unknown durability: Skidoo XP 600 SDI
Heavier but known good durability: Arctic Cat F6 (I would get the sno pro)
Heavier but known durability: Poo Dragon
Lightest 130+HP 4 stroke, unknown durability: FX Nyrto / Std. or RTX (I would get the RTX)
Heavier 120+HP 4 stroke, known durability: Delta Box 2 based Vector 08'

As far as an Apex I personally would rather have the FX but that's my opinion. To me the ergos and susp. more than make up for the 10 15 less H.P.
While Poo and Arcticat have 4 strokes if your going to buy anything other that a Yamaha i would probly go with a two stroke. Again ride them and find out for yourself, you know what they say about opinions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
After 5 years or riding a Polaris triple and twin, I bought a 2007 Yamaha Rage, 120HP 4 stroke.

Things I like:

The suspension is a great ride on trails - but almost any current sled has a better ride than my old Polaris sleds did. Great all-day cruiser.
20MPG, almost 2X my old sleds at 11-12MPG
No 2-stroke oil cost or smell
No plug changes (so far...2 years...1300 miles)
In theory, 20,000 miles + engine life (but will have gone through 2-3 tracks, bearings 4 times, etc.......)
The mid-range torque makes the sled sneaky fast - you wind up going faster than you think you are going

Things I don't like:

Weight - only notice it off trail and when loading/unloading but then it's very noticeable
Maintenance - the Yamaha has a couple of quirks (fast wearing hyfax and no zerks on RH drive bearings) which are a PITA.

To do it again:
I would have probably looked at an FST. But at the time the FST's were having big problems and I wanted something that had been on the market for 2 years.
For my riding style (groomed trails and long rides...200+ miles) the 4 stroke is a nice plus. If I was spending more time playing I think the weight would get old really quick.

Sometimes I take my "old" 600 for spin and I immediately notice it's lighter and more tossable. Makes my Rage feel like a tank! But I'm still satisfied with my sled, and it will run with the 600 all day long.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The only disadvantage to the 4 stroke is weight.. certain models are worse than others. Some folks can adapt to the lbs, others can't get past it. I can't get past how damn sweet the engines in the Yami's are....

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Nowdays, a 4-stroke can doesnt play second fiddle to a 2-stroke. Sure, they are heavier, but all it takes is some balls and a little muscle to throw the added weight around.
Id go with a 4-stroke mostly because the engine will outlast the chassis its put in. With a 2-stroke, the crank bearings are on their way out at 5,000 miles and the entire engine is toast at 10,000 miles. However, on a 4-stroke you can expect to get 20,000+ miles out of the engine and still not have any issues with it. If you ride a lot of miles or keep a sled for a long, long time that might be something to consider.
Then you have to consider what you are going to save in oil cost.
IMO, you dont really save much of anything in fuel cost with a 4-stroke because modern fuel-injected 2-strokes can match 4-strokes on fuel economy.
At the end of the day, its just whatever your personal preference is.
What do you want, a heavier, more reliable sled that doesnt smoke and doesnt make your clothes stink or do you want a lighter, less reliable sled that costs you a small fortune in oil and makes your clothes stink?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My dad had a 06 attack last year, it got pretty good gas milage 16-18mpg, road nice, handled good, but off trail the weight was real noticable, the front just wanted to sink. But on trail it was pretty nice ride, corner to corner the motor was fast as hell and power wa always their. This year he bought fx nytro rtx. This sled is noticably lighter, easy to thrown around, and runs alot better in the powder. The motor is alsome on this sled, punch it at 30 n you can lift the skis. I noticed it seems the skis only lift when you want them to though, which i really liked. He is gettign around 17-18mpg beating on it a little bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts