Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night I heard a strange noise coming from my drivetrain ... I stopped several times tying to pin point it. After a
few miles the noise seemed to go away. I assumed I had picked up a rock or chunk of ice in the track.

Well, tonight I was going over the machine and I think I found the culprit. Looks like it might be time for a new track !

I have two blow outs, one pick completely missing (and the piece of track it was attached to), the second just flapping in the breeze.

[attachment=409146:pICT0006.JPG] [attachment=409147:pICT0007.JPG]

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Yup. Grand-father has a 04 XC700, he installed, Woody's steel backers ans studs, and we think the problem of them pulling through was because of the steel backers. We got these aftermarket round backers that are the weight of 5 steel backers. Supposively they are suppose to be better. That may be your problem.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
cut that one the rest the way off & run it.O & thats a rip out a blow out is 2 foot section or all the track missing.Those rip outs can become blow outs if at top speed that stud catchs the ice in the tunnel & yes I found out the hard way.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cut that one the rest the way off & run it.[/b]

Really ? You don't see a problem with those ? That thought crossed my mind ... but so did the thought of a high speed run with a track sliding down the trail next to me ... oh shit no brakes !! :head_hurts:

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
That started happening to my track at 5,000 miles. I kept running for about 2,000 miles it until I pulled a few out of the outside belt then I changed the track.

I say run it, at least until the end of the season. I would double check every stud on the track periodically. I would also carry a side cutters and if you hear that noise again, STOP.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
By the way, that stud was probably hitting something, check your heat exchanger.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That started happening to my track at 5,000 miles. I kept running for about 2,000 miles it until I pulled a few out of the outside belt then I changed the track.

I say run it, at least until the end of the season. I would double check every stud on the track periodically. I would also carry a side cutters and if you hear that noise again, STOP.[/b]

Yeh, I'm considering myself lucky that I didn't stick either stud through the front cooler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm replacing a track this year for the same reason. I have approx. 3000 miles on an '03 XC800 with 144 Woody studs and square backer plates. I had 4 studs rip out of the middle part of my track. I did check my coolers and everything appears okay, but it did put 2 small slits in my tunnel in the storage compartment area. I decided not to take the chance with this track.

·
Premium Member
‘21 Indy 600 SP 137 & 2015 RMK 155 LE
25,384 Posts
Sucks that you just put all those new track clips on bro but just change it out.
A track passing you on the trail isn't worth it, period. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
:russian_roulette: with two side by side i would junk that track! a track coming off at high speed can cause a lot of damage, i think about it everytime i go riding at my place up north, BECAUSE I BOUGHT THE PLACE FROM THE WIDOW OF A GUY THAT HAD THE TRACK COME OFF AT HIGH SPEED!!!!!!!!!!!! TRUE STORY.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sucks that you just put all those new track clips on bro but just change it out.
A track passing you on the trail isn't worth it, period. :thumbsup:[/b]
Yeah I hear ya. Well at least my track is closed ever 3rd = much less $$$ on clips than it could have cost.
I think I'll have a tough time with the flipper knowing that this has happened to the track.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:russian_roulette: with two side by side i would junk that track! a track coming off at high speed can cause a lot of damage, i think about it everytime i go riding at my place up north, BECAUSE I BOUGHT THE PLACE FROM THE WIDOW OF A GUY THAT HAD THE TRACK COME OFF AT HIGH SPEED!!!!!!!!!!!! TRUE STORY.[/b]
OUCH !! That's a hell of a reminder.

It's not actually two pull outs next to each other ... it's the track window and a pull out next to the track window. But I completely agree, it can't be very good fro the structure of the track.

·
Premium Member
‘21 Indy 600 SP 137 & 2015 RMK 155 LE
25,384 Posts
Tracks USA bro, Tracks USA. :yes:

1.25" Ripsaw, 96 1.375" studs down the center on a double digger pattern, done. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tracks USA bro, Tracks USA. :yes:

1.25" Ripsaw, 96 1.375" studs down the center on a double digger pattern, done. :beer_cheers:[/b]

Was checking them out earlier tonight, I see they have a special on them too.

Thanks Saya.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it too much right now. Its not as if you track is going to explode any time soon. I had 7 or 8 tearouts like that in my track and it didnt blow out.
I would either wait until it tears to the track window or wait until summer to change the track.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldnt worry about it too much right now. Its not as if you track is going to explode any time soon. I had 7 or 8 tearouts like that in my track and it didnt blow out.
I would either wait until it tears to the track window or wait until summer to change the track.[/b]
Well, it is torn to the track window. I cut the flapping one off and that hole is now one hole that includes the window.
I think I'm gonna play it safe and just get a track. We're looking at 40 - 50 deg. temps next week, it'll be a good time to
change it out.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
In the pictures you put up its not torn to the window. Granted, there isnt a lot between the tearout and the window, but its nothing that I would worry about.
I had one or 2 of my tearouts that were to the window and it was still fine.
Do what you gotta do though.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have cut them out before to make it home, but replaced the track right away. Being that close to a window, unfortunately, you are playing with fire.

If you would like to drop me a PM I can quote you for a new track and any studs you might need for it (20% off all Woodys). I would recommend doubles for sure this time.

Let me know,

Doug

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I wouldn't even consider using it, replace it. Is ruining your weekend ride or crashing worth saving 300 bux that you're going to spend eventually anyways?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts