Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had Mel do my secondary clutch bushing and hub and was convinced by him that I needed the his helix and spring in the secondary also to which I was concerned how much it would affect my primary. I was told I would most likely have to take weight out of primary but not a lot. Sled is 2009 Crossfire R1000 with Priceless porting, timing key, D&D ypipe, D&D single pipe with boondocker and primary was running 85 gram cat weights with I believe a 185/330 primary spring and needs to run between 7900-8000 RPM's. I put secondary on and took it on a road and would only pull 7600 but came in at around 7000 and took forever to get to 7600, and in a field with 8" of snow would come in at 7000 then bog down to 6700 and slowly climb to 7300. Took weights out and ground them down to 81 grams and now would get 7700-7750 peak and on trail would come in at 7000-7200 and bog down to 6900 and slowly climb to 7700-7750. Trail riding was rough because sometimes I would have to let off throttle because clutching was not building R's so that it could get R's back and you could not pinch it or it would be doggy and had to gradually get into throttle. Next step bought a set of Cutler adjustable 75 gram base weight and put 1.38 grams in tip and 1.98 grams down the center. took it in the field and in 4" snow would come out at 7300 drop down to 7100 and climb to around 7800. pulled 1.98 grams out of center leaving 1.34 grams in tip and same field came in around 7400 drop to 7200 and climbed to 8000 RPM's but if field was longer it may have went over 8000. So it seems to me it may like lots of tip weight and light in the heel? Debating whether to just grind down the heel of these weights or just by the 70 gram Cutler base weights and load the tip until I get it right. Anyone else run this setup and find that a standard cat weight will not work but a tiploaded weight is needed. If I can't get it right I will just put the Priceless helix and spring back in it and set adjustable weights to where I need them. I just want to get this setup right first so I can compare the 2 and I have not heard of 1 bad report of the Formula X-1 setup not working?

·
Registered
481 Posts
put your original helix and spring back in, sounds like your up shift is to quick. Try the secondary with a set up you know works. If you set up your weights with a binding secondary and now it moves as it should things will be different without any other changes. You really need to know your spring rates and helix angles to start tuning. If your sled was stock and you bought a set up tested on a stock sled then OK, but your not stock. That secondary will shift faster with just his mod. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
try the stock weights with the primary spring you have in there now. i am running a similar set up in a F7. had Heavy Hitters pulled them and now running my stock cat weights. night and day difference.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stock weights were what I tried first and they were the worst (too heavy)
I put Priceless Helix and spring back in last night. I noticed Formula X-1 spring is stiffer but shorter and once installed is not hardly putting any pressure until clutch is opened a ways, and combined with steeper start angle secondary shifts too fast. Priceless spring has a lot more pressure at start and has a shallower angle helix

·
Registered
416 Posts
check your smart fitheres they are more then likely sucking shut add a bic pen spring to them add more weight you might not be getting that pipe hot, 75 gram weights are way to light your sled is close to 200 hp with mods you should be around 88-90 grams of weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts