Hardcore Sledder banner

for you guys who's pipe has cracked

943 views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  bosssho 
#1 ·
I think my pipe cracked under the alum sheild but I don't want to cut the bands. If any of you guys have had a cracked pipe under this sheild please post. There is also balck soot coming from between the two aluminium halves. what do you guys think?

#3 ·
mine cracked under the shield. Definately sounds like you have the same problem. Got alot louder, and black soot was appearing on the inside of hood and surrounding areas. You can get it welded for a quick fix, but AC will give you a new one if someone has one in stock. Also, dont worry about the aluminum shroud, the new one comes with a new shroud.

#5 ·
Mine got louder and louder last weekend...went from 95 on the GPS to 85 to 77...and then I was like this thing is dying yet again...and sure enough when I got it into the dealer the pipe had torn open something fierce.

Why the comment about not running it if the pipe is cracked? Did something awful happen now that I ran it like that?

#8 ·
Mine cracked all the way around the seam. Dealer told me it was really bad. Black oil was coming out from between the alum. shield. and it got REALLY LOUD. It was so loud i had ringing in my ears even with a helmet and balclava. The dealer gave a loaner pipe until the new one comes in.

#10 ·
every thing is ok for me so far ! but all i think about is when my warranty is up and i go to ride next year and it start's falling apart :wacko: that would piss me off ! im only going to get around 1500 miles before i put it away end of this month and warranty runs out dec 1st. were lucky if we get snow by then.

#11 ·
Mine never back fired...it just got louder and louder...and it happened real fast...during a few back to back lake runs...For everything good about this sled...I have at least two bad things to off-set it, which sucks...I really love the ride and the ergos...I have never had consistent full power because of cylinders frying, APV cables going south, Servo Motors going south, pipes going south, etc...so my ZR 800 is still my favorite sled...that said...the new ZR 900s are hideous IMHO and they can't have reverse and there is no ZR 800 and I think everyone on this forum has proven time and time agian that a properly running F7 will pretty much eat a ZR 800 for lunch and run neck and neck with a ZR 900 so maybe I will just hold on to this bucket of R&D and wait for AC to test the Direct Drive out next year on the poor bastards who buy the new ZR 900 and when it comes on the Firecats for 05 I will upgrade then...I sure hope the people who get the ZR 900s don't go through what we did for R&D with the Firecats.

#14 ·
Took my F7SP out for a test drive last night. Noticed some smoke coming from around the rubber ball area when the motor was turned off. Decided to take off the sheild and see what was up. The seam was cracked just above the brace. I think it is from some High-G jumping and the brunt of the shocks being taken by this area of the pipe!!! Dealer had a new one in stock :D I am glad it took a dive before the year was out!!!!!

#17 ·
Mine cracked under the shield..I knew it cracked but I dind't wanna park it since I was on a trip..anyways the asbestos or whatever is in there came out and the aluminum broke in 3 peices--and the pipe had two huge cracks in different spots..

I think I had the best pipe crack of all time :p

#18 ·
No way, mine was the best. Took mine 300 miles up north and cracked the exhaust on the second day. I brought the f7 to a dealer up there and he welded it up. I had a 3" hole in mine. Couldn't find the metal either. The hole pipe separated for a good 8-10". What a piece of shit. I also blew the bearing for my gear in the gearcase and had smartvalve probs. Only got 150 miles on in 5 days. Didn't look too good for the cat. Everyone picked on me the whole week. I wonder if I made the right choice. :unsure:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.