·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all of you with kids.

Do your kids ride with you??

If so how old are they??

Do you strap them to yourself??

I want to take my son along with me this year, but I think he is still too young (1 year).

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Jay,

I have a 6 month old son and he is way too old to ride in my book. Besides, what would he get out of it anyway? As for you... I would take my son at one year old. Not on the public trails, but on some private area that is not busy! By the time my son is 4-5 years old, he will have a nice new Z120 waiting for him to ride under the Christmas Tree.

For those of wondering, my wife watches him when I ride.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have three teenage boys. They all ride it is the one thing that we all relate to. Wife is a sledhead too. We didn't ride much when they were little but let Me tell You as they get older it's some great quality time!!!! My oldest is 19 and in the US Navy. But next week he is headed home for 2 weeks and is gonna be real bummed if there is no snow!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I rode with my 3 year old last year (she was 2 then). I tried the harness but she didn't like it, so I sed my legs to hold her and let her hold onto the shock adjusted on my ZR 800 LE. The harness was pretty cool and works very well, she just hates the idea of being confined. Helmets are hard to find and a traditional helmet is too heavy. It can cause more damage to their necks than it will prevent. Get a bike helmet or a ski helmet and some goggles and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I gave my son his first ride at 18 months .(1/4 mile) I did not bring him with me
till he was 3 years old . By then he would tell me if he got cold , could got to the
potty on the trails, and did not fall asleep in between my arms .
I preferred to have him sit in front hanging on to the handle bar pad and his feet
behind the hood (could almost reach the foot holds) .
Some kids are notorious for not letting you know when they get cold which could
be dangerous .

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've put all 3 kids and myself on my cougar 2up and gone for sunday morning breakfast. just jam 2 behind and the smallest in front works great.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback guys.

My whole family is into snowmobiling, so we all usually go out together. I have no doubt that my son will be a sled head too, once he's old enough.

Nick, I think I' buying the ZR120 next year for him.!! LOL!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Jay,

My kids are 7 1/2 and almost 9. Up until this year we would crotch them and just ride by the cabin, or off trails on 2 tracks. This year we bought two of the waist straps with handles on them, and they work real well. The kids are on the back and have good hand holds.
Of course after a couple of hours, they want to go back to the cabin and tear it up on their ZR120 instead of playing passenger...........................but who can blame them.

Kevin

·
Registered
20 Posts
I HAVE BEEN RIDING WITH MY SON CHEVY FOR FOUR YEARS NOW..HE IS SIX...THE BEST THING I HAVE TRIED IS THE POWER MADD HANDLEBAR GRAB...BOLTS ON EASY AQND IS JUST RIGHT FOR HIS ARMS..AND HE THINKS HE IS DRIVING ...HE SITS IN FRONT AND GRABS THE BAR.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 7 yr. old boy
first trip at 4 yrs. old did 175 miles
second trip 5 yrs. old did 150 miles
first trip sat in front of me
second trip sat in back (but got cold in 40 miles had to warm up then move to the front)
no harness in front / had backrest for rear

·
Registered
245 Posts
I started taking my Daughter last year (at 4yrs) and she LOVED IT. WE HAD to convince MOM to let us get that EdgeX120 (polaris family upto now) This year, she is DOING AWESOME ON IT. She is gonna make some lucky SLEDHEAD a good girlfriend when she gets older! Atleast I know i'll have something incommon with her & the boys that start coming around.... :unsure:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
hey guys,
my oldest is 3, rode his kitty cat last year at 2, could not grasp yhe concept of turning or braking, waiting for snow this year i'm sure he will do better, my other son is only 5mos. old, not quite ready yet, but it is in his blood
took my 3 yr old to look at 120's, he wants the polaris because its red, no worry though i the one with the money, he will bee on a green 120 next year and hand down the kitty cat

·
Registered
51 Posts
My son has been riding with me since he was 5, riding behind me on a two up seat. I used a ‘Buddy Belt’ for him to hold on to. It's like a kidney belt with handles that goes over your jacket with two handgrips on it. Last year he got his own sled (at the time age 11).

My daughter has been riding with me for 3 years now. She started when she was 4. She rodes in front of me with one of the harnesses that someone else mentioned. It was always a real pain to get into and out of. Also the rides were short - less than 40-50 miles. Last year, I stopped using the harness and put a mountain grab bar on the handlebars. This worked real well for her. She seems much more stable on the sled. Also it provided a place for her to put her head when she feel a sleep. She is now able to do 100-mile days with out problems.

Dan...

·
Registered
210 Posts
We have a 4 year old daughter and a 6 year old son. They both ride with us on a limited basis (just because they don't like long trips). They ride in front of us, with no straps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts