Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than Jenks and Twin Crooks, I mean Brooks where else is good where you can sit down and have a burger??

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Other than Jenks and Twin Crooks, I mean Brooks where else is good where you can sit down and have a burger??[/b]
The Belmont store about 70 miles north. Thats where i always head. Usually great food with soups, pizza and a deli.

·
Registered
949 Posts
There's a burger/hot dog wagon at A-Z Snowmobiles. It's called the "Patty Wagon". It's basically like the Weenie Wagon that used to park up on Kelley Stand. Their prices are a bit higher than the Weenie Wagon, but are still better than Twinbrooks. Though there's nowhere to sit inside, they do have an outside stove set up with some picnick tables.

There's also Tiff's Trading Post (Used to be Tru's Store) in Woodford. You need to go east on the powerlines a mile or two past the groomed section, then you turn left off the lines. Unfortunately, I didn't see any signage pointing you in the right direction until you were already headed that way. In any case, if you ask anybody for directions to Tru's or to Prospect while you're on the mountain, you should find the trail. Once on it, it's a couple miles of single-width bumpy trail, but it's not too bad. It's fairly well travelled. If you like smaller trails, it makes a nice loop through Prospect Mt. over to the Heartwellville parking lot where you can pick up the groomed trail (9W) back to 7N.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There's a burger/hot dog wagon at A-Z Snowmobiles. It's called the "Patty Wagon". It's basically like the Weenie Wagon that used to park up on Kelley Stand. Their prices are a bit higher than the Weenie Wagon, but are still better than Twinbrooks. Though there's nowhere to sit inside, they do have an outside stove set up with some picnick tables.

There's also Tiff's Trading Post (Used to be Tru's Store) in Woodford. You need to go east on the powerlines a mile or two past the groomed section, then you turn left off the lines. Unfortunately, I didn't see any signage pointing you in the right direction until you were already headed that way. In any case, if you ask anybody for directions to Tru's or to Prospect while you're on the mountain, you should find the trail. Once on it, it's a couple miles of single-width bumpy trail, but it's not too bad. It's fairly well travelled. If you like smaller trails, it makes a nice loop through Prospect Mt. over to the Heartwellville parking lot where you can pick up the groomed trail (9W) back to 7N.[/b]
well said jim85iroc twin brook's is veeeeeery expensive (6.95 for a burger) compared to patty wagon at a-z( FOR A BURGER JUST AS GOOD,A SODA,AND CHIP'S FOR $5 DOLLAR'S) AND THEN THE TIFT'S TRADING POST ALSO HAS GAS FOR ALMOST A $1.50 CHEAPER THEN TWIN CROOK'S YEP I SAID IT TWIN CROOK'S

·
Registered
569 Posts
New to riding in this area, we just bought passes a couple of weekends ago and did 110 miles and had a real hard time finding anything to eat. We left from The Mall and headed to Belmont but never saw anything other than gas at Jenks. Could you guys be a little more specific for a VT newb, for places to stop at heading north on 7.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Belmont is about 30 miles past jenks, or Damby is a good place through Mt. Tabor gas and deli. If you dont want to go that far out head up 7c 100 to mount Snow, sitz mark or deacons den but they open at 4 pm weekdays.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Belmont is about 30 miles past jenks, or Damby is a good place through Mt. Tabor gas and deli. If you dont want to go that far out head up 7c 100 to mount Snow, sitz mark or deacons den but they open at 4 pm weekdays.[/b]
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Just to clarify, Deacon's Den is now called Deegan's Tavern.

There's also a 7-11 nearby that's trail accessable, so you can get cheap food and reasonably priced gas there. If you look at your VAST map, they're below WM 11.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Just to clarify, Deacon's Den is now called Deegan's Tavern.

There's also a 7-11 nearby that's trail accessable, so you can get cheap food and reasonably priced gas there. If you look at your VAST map, they're below WM 11.[/b]
how do you get to that from the tavern???
I thought the trail ended there unless you took the valley trail back to wilmington chimney hill area WE were trying to go eat at dots of dover but did not know how to get any further north??The trail seemed to end at dover police station unless you crossed the street.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I rode to the Matterhorn in Dover (next to the Police Station) from Woodford Wednesday with Tirolskier. There is a trail that is off to the left but was closed so access to 7-11 is not possible without awakening the sleeping bear next door. The owner of the Matterhorn does do gas runs on requests-- he did for myself and another sledder from a group of three that came in afterwards to R&R. We all had a lunch there. Highly recommended, fine dining, huge burgers and great peirrogies too.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I rode to the Matterhorn in Dover (next to the Police Station) from Woodford Wednesday with Tirolskier. There is a trail that is off to the left but was closed so access to 7-11 is not possible without awakening the sleeping bear next door. The owner of the Matterhord does do gas runs -- he did for myself and three other riders that came in afterwards. We all had a lunch there. Great peirrogies too.[/b]
Gas seems to be a tough issue this winter, less places that you can ride to and fill up.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Unfortunately, very true indeed. I was thinking of (a) installing a tour buddy on my Tcat, (b) hauling gas on the tail end of my Tcat, or © ride a 4 stroke, my T660 2up.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Unfortunately, very true indeed. I was thinking of (a) installing a tour buddy on my Tcat, (b) hauling gas on the tail end of my Tcat, or © ride a 4 stroke, my T660 2up.[/b]
Not knowing if Jenks was open after dark for gas, sub zero temps, a rider who was probably border line Hypothermic, it cold have been a very cold, or dangerouse situatuion last night.

We were very fortunate to be able to get 10 gallons with help from the friendly locals, and divide it up among the 3 sleds that got the worst MPGs.

I mighht look for a few gas buddies on the boards and off season.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I am glad all of you(s) made it out safely. Tourbuddy, gasbuddy, or just an extra gas tank in the back if you have room will probably become the norm in future seasons due to the lack of access to fuel up nearby trails.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ok,
Looking for a little help from the regulars, we may be riding with the ladies this coming weekend.

Here is what we want to do; ride about 100 miles and find a nice place to eat and sleep at. Backtracking is fine, in other words if you tell me that there is a really nice place about 80 miles North of Woodford then we will make it work for us. We want to ride about 100 miles on Saturday and then ride about 100 miles back to Woodford on Sunday.

Any rec's??? Feel free to pm me, we do not need a 5 star resort but we do not want a double bed with a sheet and blanket either.

Kurt

·
Registered
949 Posts
how do you get to that from the tavern???
I thought the trail ended there unless you took the valley trail back to wilmington chimney hill area WE were trying to go eat at dots of dover but did not know how to get any further north??The trail seemed to end at dover police station unless you crossed the street.[/b]
after you leave trail 100 (WM 18), you come to a Y in the trail (I think this is WM 11). You go right for Deegan's Pub. If you go left, it takes you down to a plowed road. You continue down the side of the plowed road for a very short time and you'll come out at the 7-11 on highway rt 100.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts