Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 billion bucks. Not bad for a company supposedly killing america while Toyo is moving in.

I know, I know.........

Ford pouring millions into metro Detroit plants

Louis Aguilar / The Detroit News

LIVONIA - Ford Motor Co. announced it's investing $866 million in six southeastern Michigan plants. The money is aimed at helping the automaker expand its small-car lineup, produce more fuel-efficient transmissions and bolster its truck sales.

The investments, announced at a Tuesday morning ceremony at Livonia Transmission, will pay for installing new technology and doesn't mean more workers will be added or cut at any of the six plants. In August, Ford announced its plan to invest up to $1 billion in its Michigan facilities after the state and several local communities agreed to incentives, including property tax abatements that total around $200 million.

"This company's investment is a testimony to Michigan's workforce," said Jim Epolito, president and CEO of the Michigan Economic Development Corp., who spoke at the Livonia Transmission ceremony. "This not only saves thousands of jobs, but every job at Ford saves three or four other jobs in the communities," he said.

The money will go toward the following plants.

Wayne Stamping and Assembly: $130 million for tooling and equipment to built the 2008 Ford Focus.

Van **** Transmission: $320 million to help assemble a fuel-efficient, 6-speed, front-wheel drive transmission for the next generation Ford Escape.

Livonia Transmission Plant: $88 million to increase production of its 6-speed, real-wheel drive transmission for the 2009 Ford F-150.

Woodhaven Stamping: $89 million for new dies and equipment that will stamp parts for the 2009 F-150.

Dearborn Stamping: $31 million for dies and equipment that stamp doors and hoods for the 2009 F-150.

Dearborn Truck Plant: $208 million for equipment to help build 2009 F-150.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Yes, it is a good thing. And I commend them for their effort. :div20:

You do realize though that this is it. The last ditch effort to make it here. I hope their gamble pays off, as one of the plants is my brother's.

And you also realize that most of this money they are spending is a result of closing many other facilities right? :dunno: May father predicted this and knew about 1/2 of the updates 1 1/2 years ago. But FoMoCo had to sort things out first.

Lastly, what isn't a result of closed facilities, is stuff that is WAY PAST due to be replaced or updated. They just had to wait until they finished their buyout and plant closing plan to determine where to spend the money. With ANY LUCK at all this will help increase the quality of many products. :beerchug:

Takes money to make money :banana:

Now for the sour part...do you have any idea how much of that money they are spending will be spent over seas to buy the stuff they are talking about? Mainly the dies. But that's good for my brother. Because those POS overseas dies always need to be fixed before they can be used. :smilielol: And that's what he does.

Sure am glad to see the Focus staying here and not moving back to Mexico. My buddy from high school has been having a hard time mentally with all the people he's had to let go the last year. And was pretty sure he's be gone too.

That's all I can say about it, otherwise my inside sources may get in trouble :frech32:

They Mortgaged the farm on this one, this is it. If anyone wants to see Ford remain a car company, then don't buy an import if you have choices. I am serious, this isn't just about BUY AMERICAN. This is an important time in the US Auto Industry...the first Assembly Line Car Company could become non-existant if their plan fails (before they get their 250 dealers built in China :banghead: ).

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it is a good thing. And I commend them for their effort. :div20:

You do realize though that this is it. The last ditch effort to make it here. I hope their gamble pays off, as one of the plants is my brother's.

And you also realize that most of this money they are spending is a result of closing many other facilities right? :dunno: May father predicted this and knew about 1/2 of the updates 1 1/2 years ago. But FoMoCo had to sort things out first.

Lastly, what isn't a result of closed facilities, is stuff that is WAY PAST due to be replaced or updated. They just had to wait until they finished their buyout and plant closing plan to determine where to spend the money. With ANY LUCK at all this will help increase the quality of many products. :beerchug:

Takes money to make money :banana:

Now for the sour part...do you have any idea how much of that money they are spending will be spent over seas to buy the stuff they are talking about? Mainly the dies. But that's good for my brother. Because those POS overseas dies always need to be fixed before they can be used. :smilielol: And that's what he does.

Sure am glad to see the Focus staying here and not moving back to Mexico. My buddy from high school has been having a hard time mentally with all the people he's had to let go the last year. And was pretty sure he's be gone too.

That's all I can say about it, otherwise my inside sources may get in trouble :frech32:

They Mortgaged the farm on this one, this is it. If anyone wants to see Ford remain a car company, then don't buy an import if you have choices. I am serious, this isn't just about BUY AMERICAN. This is an important time in the US Auto Industry...the first Assembly Line Car Company could become non-existant if their plan fails (before they get their 250 dealers built in China :banghead: ).[/b]
Yeah I realize that if this doesn't work their up shits creek, BUT I feel alot better with Mullaly in charge than if Billy Jr or Jac the Knife still were. Ford is in a worse position than GM too IMO. At least GM has someone like Lutz in place with a vision for product. Hopefully the 30 million man (Alan M) at Ford can do the same. Look at the new GMC Acadia before Lutz that thing would have been the Aztec 2 because of over-reliance on "market research" and not enough on common sense.

Your 100% right about stuff past due. I remember back when 'ole Jack took over and they started "de-contenting" vehicles it was sad to see. When someone spends 35-40k on a truck they expect little lighted vanity mirrors on it. People may get fooled once but not twice thats the little stuff that pissed me off. IMO if you look at the current F-150's they are so nice inside because of the crap they did 7-8 years ago, Jac really screwed em big-time and it still haunts them today. It's the product thats gotten them in this position IMO. Look at the Expedition they just spent a ton on that thing for 07 but if you get past the front end it still looks like the same vehicle since '97 even though mechanically most of it has been revised. Like you said "you gotta spend money to make money" and they got away from that. Your right about the dies, but as some like to remind us it's a global marketplace things will never be the way they were IMO, it's a fact of life these days.

I don't work directly for FoMoCo but I watched my father, grandfather and many aunts and uncles go to work in those factories and really hope Mullaly can get things fixed for future gens sake.

I'm working on the new '09 F-150 program right now (haven't worked on Ford stuff in years) and as that article says every job in the plant equates to about 3-4 in the region.

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Easy tiger... 'Saves Michigan!' is a bit ambitious a statement... :smilielol:

The investments will pay for installing new technology and doesn't mean more workers will be added or cut at any of the six plants.[/b]
Nice to see Ford invest into the town that helped make them what they are... though this doesn't 'add' anything, just may not take it away.

Sounds like its spinoff isn't planning any such investment in our state, or country for that matter. So the line workers stay, and the designers begin to go...

"At the same time, Visteon outlined plans to shift more white-collar and blue-collar jobs to low-wage countries. In September, Visteon opened an 110,000-square-foot software engineering center in India, new climate control facilities in China and Turkey, and an interior and climate facility in Slovakia. Its goal is to have 50 percent of its engineering work force in low-cost countries by 2008, up from less than a third today. Visteon also hopes to have three-fourths of its hourly work force in low-wage countries by the end of 2008."

At least Ford seems to be making an effort... I hope it pays off for them.. and us. :div20:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Easy tiger... 'Saves Michigan!' is a bit ambitious a statement... :smilielol:

Nice to see Ford invest into the town that helped make them what they are... though this doesn't 'add' anything, just may not take it away.

Sounds like its spinoff isn't planning any such investment in our state, or country for that matter. So the line workers stay, and the designers begin to go...

"At the same time, Visteon outlined plans to shift more white-collar and blue-collar jobs to low-wage countries. In September, Visteon opened an 110,000-square-foot software engineering center in India, new climate control facilities in China and Turkey, and an interior and climate facility in Slovakia. Its goal is to have 50 percent of its engineering work force in low-cost countries by 2008, up from less than a third today. Visteon also hopes to have three-fourths of its hourly work force in low-wage countries by the end of 2008."

At least Ford seems to be making an effort... I hope it pays off for them.. and us. :div20:[/b]
Did I make any posts in todays edition of the "Doom and Gloom Times"? :nono:

Come on, read the next few statements this is the type of stuff that will save the jobs that are still left here and Ford needs to be commended for trying. Not having their efforts being protrayed as "what they SHOULD do". Toyo builds a factory here and some are ready to hand the industry over to them. Also, its alot cheaper and easier to greenfield a new factory in Alabama or Texas than it is to reinvest in facilities that are already in place.

Nice jab about the designers, you know thats what pissed me off last time. I fully realize I probably won't have the same job 10 years from now, it's a constantly evolving industry and if somebody want things to remain the "Status Quo" they will quickly become a dinosaur. I've seen many before me that suffered that fate.......

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sorry Beagle, my next vehicle will be Japaneese. I have owned several new Fords and each and every one of them was a piece of shit. Time for a change.

Daryl[/b]
Where do you work I would like to know where not to go. I can see not buying a ford if they gave you problems in the past but why make a statement to just by japaneese. There are still other american companys that produce a good car or truck. I work for ford and I am sorry about the problems you had with your past autos.

Duane

·
Registered
834 Posts
The Japaneese sign my pay check and have four plants in the U.S. right now. Rusted through oil pan on my F-250 was the last straw. If Ford would get a clue and fix the problems that keep happening over and over again, I would think about buying one again. I could not even tell you how many things that I have had problems with in the past that were huge warranty issues that were never addressed in the future vehicles they built. I feel like I am paying them huge money to "real world" test their cars and trucks. The only reason I have bought so many Fords is that I get "A" plan from an inlaw. Even with that very nice discount, I will be skipping them the next go around. By the way, my oil pan on my E-150 rusted through after five years too.

Daryl

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Sorry Beagle, my next vehicle will be Japaneese. I have owned several new Fords and each and every one of them was a piece of shit. Time for a change.

Daryl[/b]
You do what you have to do. You stated who is paying your bills.

Don't apologize to me though, in another 2 months I hopefully will have nothing to do with Ford or the auto industry. I understand your anger, as does many of the Ford employees, past & present. Some are ashamed, some are angry at the company, and many are worried. My Grandpa, Dad and now brother have worked for the Blue Oval. Ford put a roof over my head, food in my belly, and clothes on us. Not to mention lots of fun and a house "up north". But in the process, Ford as a company has pissed off a lot of consumers. That decontenting thing was one of them. My in-laws hate their 99 Crown Vic, after one day they wanted their 95 back. Same for my Mom with her 95 vs. 2000 Taurus. She asked "How can a 5 year newer car ride so bad and be so noisy inside".

You don't have to look to far to see what happened, it was already pointed out. Nasser. And in that name the ASS stands out :beerchug:

But I still bleed Stars & stripes. So if & when I am out of the auto biz, I still can't drive something with a Japanese logo, I don't give a shit how many NASCAR titles they win. I was po'd last summer at my F250 due to a trans seal issue, that occurs on most all of them. I threatened to buy a Nissan Titan, and came to my senses. I almost did take a job with a Japanese company before Christmas too, but it was Afternoons, and I can't do that for many reasons. Namely my daughter. I am NOT ditching her. My Dad worked afternoons my whole life, and he regrets it. And I didn't know him growing up. I equate it to seperated parents with the father having weekend visitation. And since he worked many weekends...my Mom pretty much raised us.

Yes, rusting oil pans...How does something that HOLDS OIL RUST :banghead: You know I thought it was funny 10 years ago when I was changing 5 a week for cash, but when you have to worry about it on your own vehicle...it's not funny anymore.

Anyhow...I can tell you how they rust. Recycled steel from Tiawan or China...plain & simple. Stamped there too!!!! How else could the oil pan I have off a 53 Mercury Flathead in my shed still be perfectly intact and still useable, when early 90's Ford 5.0L engines couldn't get past 6 years on an oil pan :dunno:

Hey ttiguy tried to shine a ray of light on our otherwise cloudy situation here in Michigan. But Ford didn't seperate the clouds and let the sun in with this announcement, they just stopped a total mudslide from sweeping Metro Detroit into the river to drift off to Cleveland :cn: It was also a HUGE PR move to mention this during the auto show. They didn't decide yesterday they were doing this, it's been a work in progress. Trust me on this one...I haven't lied to you guys yet...And I never will :div20: Timing is EVERYTHING.

I don't think this will make anything better, just might be the first step in not getting any worse. Because I'm here to tell you...it's bad. I just spent the last 2 hours looking at foreclosed homes in Michigan, mainly WaCo. And they aren't all dives :dunno:

Visteon and outsourcing to low wage countries...they are leading the way and Delphi & the others are close behind. But allowing people that have never driven a car and worship cows instead of eating them didn't work for Ford...it's not going to be a good thing for the suppliers either IMO. If they put labels on our cars, in 5 years it would say "Assembled in the USA of Foreign Components". :wut60:

The Slovik countries are really taking off too in the auto industry, but that's not being mentioned as much. My former employer was moving a BUNCH of people there. Seems Prague is the new IT hub of the world? I could probably live there though as opposed to China. I mean at least my wife is Czech.

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Come on, read the next few statements this is the type of stuff that will save the jobs that are still left here and Ford needs to be commended for trying.[/b]
You are correct. :clap:

Oops, I guess they overshot the estimated by $140M. Still better than nothing. :div20:

Gotta like Lutz oogling the Tundra, calling it a 'very nice truck'.

And what's with this Ford/Microsoft push to put MORE electronic shit in our cars? Aren't we battling hard enough against accidents and distractions as it is, and they want to put a fkn entertainment system front-and-center on the dash? It's my guess that 'distracted drivers' will crash/kill more people than 'drunk drivers' very soon. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
And what's with this Ford/Microsoft push to put MORE electronic shit in our cars? Aren't we battling hard enough against accidents and distractions as it is, and they want to put a fkn entertainment system front-and-center on the dash? It's my guess that 'distracted drivers' will crash/kill more people than 'drunk drivers' very soon. :banghead:[/b]

Ok...GIVE ME MY BRAIN BACK!!! I said this to my wife as soon as they unveiled that bullshit live on TV. I said "This is great, like the moron yuppies don't have a hard enough time with roll overs on a dry sunny road, now they have more crap to play with".

As a motorcyclist it is a real challange. When I had bikes in the 80's there weren't many cell phones. Now riding is like playing Frogger.

The worst I have ever seen was last March...traffic was crawling at 25mph due to an ice storm the night before. We were headed up for the SnowChasers Poker Run, driving up Telelgraph to get out of the city. Well this chick was driving with HER KNEES AND EATING A BOWL OF CEREAL :banghead: Yeah, she needs an iPOD in her car :share_doobie:

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
You do what you have to do. You stated who is paying your bills.

Don't apologize to me though, in another 2 months I hopefully will have nothing to do with Ford or the auto industry. I understand your anger, as does many of the Ford employees, past & present. Some are ashamed, some are angry at the company, and many are worried. My Grandpa, Dad and now brother have worked for the Blue Oval. Ford put a roof over my head, food in my belly, and clothes on us. Not to mention lots of fun and a house "up north". But in the process, Ford as a company has pissed off a lot of consumers. That decontenting thing was one of them. My in-laws hate their 99 Crown Vic, after one day they wanted their 95 back. Same for my Mom with her 95 vs. 2000 Taurus. She asked "How can a 5 year newer car ride so bad and be so noisy inside".

You don't have to look to far to see what happened, it was already pointed out. Nasser. And in that name the ASS stands out :beerchug:

But I still bleed Stars & stripes. So if & when I am out of the auto biz, I still can't drive something with a Japanese logo, I don't give a shit how many NASCAR titles they win. I was po'd last summer at my F250 due to a trans seal issue, that occurs on most all of them. I threatened to buy a Nissan Titan, and came to my senses. I almost did take a job with a Japanese company before Christmas too, but it was Afternoons, and I can't do that for many reasons. Namely my daughter. I am NOT ditching her. My Dad worked afternoons my whole life, and he regrets it. And I didn't know him growing up. I equate it to seperated parents with the father having weekend visitation. And since he worked many weekends...my Mom pretty much raised us.

Yes, rusting oil pans...How does something that HOLDS OIL RUST :banghead: You know I thought it was funny 10 years ago when I was changing 5 a week for cash, but when you have to worry about it on your own vehicle...it's not funny anymore.

Anyhow...I can tell you how they rust. Recycled steel from Tiawan or China...plain & simple. Stamped there too!!!! How else could the oil pan I have off a 53 Mercury Flathead in my shed still be perfectly intact and still useable, when early 90's Ford 5.0L engines couldn't get past 6 years on an oil pan :dunno:

Hey ttiguy tried to shine a ray of light on our otherwise cloudy situation here in Michigan. But Ford didn't seperate the clouds and let the sun in with this announcement, they just stopped a total mudslide from sweeping Metro Detroit into the river to drift off to Cleveland :cn: It was also a HUGE PR move to mention this during the auto show. They didn't decide yesterday they were doing this, it's been a work in progress. Trust me on this one...I haven't lied to you guys yet...And I never will :div20: Timing is EVERYTHING.

I don't think this will make anything better, just might be the first step in not getting any worse. Because I'm here to tell you...it's bad. I just spent the last 2 hours looking at foreclosed homes in Michigan, mainly WaCo. And they aren't all dives :dunno:

Visteon and outsourcing to low wage countries...they are leading the way and Delphi & the others are close behind. But allowing people that have never driven a car and worship cows instead of eating them didn't work for Ford...it's not going to be a good thing for the suppliers either IMO. If they put labels on our cars, in 5 years it would say "Assembled in the USA of Foreign Components". :wut60:

The Slovik countries are really taking off too in the auto industry, but that's not being mentioned as much. My former employer was moving a BUNCH of people there. Seems Prague is the new IT hub of the world? I could probably live there though as opposed to China. I mean at least my wife is Czech.[/b]

Not Trying to hI-Jack the Thread... But

Beagle... I didnt know your wife was Czech ?? I speak a little myself... My Dual Purpose K9 is from the Czech Republic ... Does this mean I own an Import ? :dunno:
[attachment=282748:K9.jpg]

·
Registered
834 Posts

Beagle... I didnt know your wife was Czech ?? I speak a little myself... My Dual Purpose K9 is from the Czech Republic ... Does this mean I own an Import ? :dunno:
[attachment=282748:K9.jpg][/b]
Was he cheaper than all the other dogs? His joints will probably be rusting out soon.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts

[attachment=282748:K9.jpg][/b]
She's 1/2 Czech...Just keep your dog away from her leg.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Was he cheaper than all the other dogs? His joints will probably be rusting out soon.[/b]

Hmmmmm I was wondering why the guy siad there was no warranty when we bought him... Damn Communists anyhow.... :banghead:

And Beagle.... I promise no leg humping.... From my dog lol

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
good for Ford!!!

Buy American save America

or you can contribute to communist China.....better have the kids learn Chinese.[/b]
That IS NOT FUNNY! At Christmas my brother in law, who happens to IMPORT crap fro China for chain stores like Wal Mart, said I should have my 6 year old learn Mandarin Chinese instead of Spanish. He thinks it will be neccessary by the time she's 18 in order to work :banghead:

I wanted to say that it's ass-clowns like you that contribute to their communist ways that will bring that on us...but it wass Christmas. (But he's Jewish, thinking back I should have unloaded on him).

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Buy Japaneese, and learn how to speak Mexican (not Spanish) that's how this country is nowdays.

Even though my next truck will be another GM product (I wish I could afford a new Tundra though) and I refuse to speak in Mexican when at the grocery store, bank, etc. etc.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Oops, I guess they overshot the estimated by $140M. Still better than nothing. :div20:

Gotta like Lutz oogling the Tundra, calling it a 'very nice truck'.

And what's with this Ford/Microsoft push to put MORE electronic shucks in our cars? Aren't we battling hard enough against accidents and distractions as it is, and they want to put a fkn entertainment system front-and-center on the dash? It's my guess that 'distracted drivers' will crash/kill more people than 'drunk drivers' very soon. :banghead:[/b]
Couldn't disagree more with you on the electronics. When I saw the SYNC system it caused me change my mind and I will stick with a Ford (instead of GM) for my next vehicle this summer/fall based largely on that system alone. When you drop a bunch of cash on a new car/truck you shouldn't have to use an FM transmitter anymore for a MP3 player, the japanese companies embraced this kind of stuff a few years ago.

These gizmos aren't going away and will become more important as years go by. This is EXACTLY the type of stuff the US carmakers need to be very involved in if they want to attract the younger buyers who value this stuff. As far as traffic fatalities go it comes down to personal responsibility you can't control what others do and you can't run from technology because some can't use it properly. Besides, the things the SYNC system operates are already in use (cell phones & mp3 players). It just integrates them into the car (voice operated controls etc) actually making them safer and less of a distraction.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts