Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The BV2s is an expensive helmet but will be the last helmet you will buy.

I've had mine for 8 years and before it I had the BRP modular 3, I didn't like how tight it fit felt claustrophobic with it on worked great but to tight for my fat face.

·
HCS Ambassador
2014 ZR8000lxr 19-20 mileage = 904.5
3,983 Posts
Cat Crap

There is a product called "Cat Crap" that is a soap base product that comes in a small container that you can take with you. I apply it every morning before i leave the hotel and it basically stops all fogging of the glasses. The best part is when we stop at a bar or restaurant on the trail and i can walk in and not fog immediately upon entering. Try it. It works.

Steve

https://ekusa.com/product/cat-crap/

Need to figure something out because my sight is getting bad enough to where I can't see very good without my glasses-and of course the glasses fog up immediately. What are other people doing in this situation??

·
Registered
958 Posts
So...you lost a sled, not because you could not find it? What do you mean...

LASIK twice and still not 20/20 vision, huh? I would be PISSED, if that happened to me. Especially since the lasik done twice costs enough to have bought the BRP helmet many times over. Perfect vision with your glasses and no fogging what-so-everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Dang!:mad::mad::cry:
LASIK would give you 20/20 for a while, but old eyes change constantly. LASIK doesn’t solve aging any more than regular exercise, just slows it down a bit.

Kind of like tinnitus, being near-sighted is difficult to explain to those who don’t know what it’s like.

Good point about cost, but there are a lot of variables which make things like LASIK worth considering, not just money.

I’m glad that the BRP helmet works good for so many and will consider it if I ever need to replace my current helmet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
LASIK would give you 20/20 for a while, but old eyes change constantly. LASIK doesn’t solve aging any more than regular exercise, just slows it down a bit.

Kind of like tinnitus, being near-sighted is difficult to explain to those who don’t know what it’s like.

Good point about cost, but there are a lot of variables which make things like LASIK worth considering, not just money.

I’m glad that the BRP helmet works good for so many and will consider it if I ever need to replace my current helmet.
Yes....good points....all of them. Well here’s hoping that you find a solution and can get out there safely...good vision is everything....especially at night.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The BV2s is an expensive helmet but will be the last helmet you will buy.

I've had mine for 8 years and before it I had the BRP modular 3, I didn't like how tight it fit felt claustrophobic with it on worked great but to tight for my fat face.
Agreed!!! I have owned mine for four years and it has performed flawlessly (in service for 3 years actually.... we didn’t get out last year). Everyone should consider that in a 20 or so year span, one who regularly sleds would buy multiples of different helmets. Chasing the latest gimmick or cool look etc. The cost of one BRP BV2S is less than all the others combined, and it actually works! Many, myself included, look to save money and be economical in all of our purchases. ... but the truest way to economy, is to buy once, and buy right!
Now I know.

·
Registered
133 Posts
So, after reading this thread, I am seriously considering buying a BV2S. Seems like it is the ultimate helmet for me. How do sizes run? I've read a bunch of other threads and many seem to say the helmet runs a bit big. What say you folks that have them?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
So, after reading this thread, I am seriously considering buying a BV2S. Seems like it is the ultimate helmet for me. How do sizes run? I've read a bunch of other threads and many seem to say the helmet runs a bit big. What say you folks that have them?
I would recommend trying the helmet on at a Ski Doo dealership. Pre check the cost of the BV2S online and if the dealer is close to the online prices buy it from them.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
BV2 and glasses didn't work for me. Never been cold in my MX helmet either. The statement above that someone got cold was user and fitment error. Get a real balaclava and goggles and that doesn't happen.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So...you lost a sled, not because you could not find it? What do you mean...

LASIK twice and still not 20/20 vision, huh? I would be PISSED, if that happened to me. Especially since the lasik done twice costs enough to have bought the BRP helmet many times over. Perfect vision with your glasses and no fogging what-so-everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Dang!:mad::mad::cry:
"Lost a sled" as in hit a three foot tall bank of snow and ice on a lake at night. To see white on white at night, I definitely should have had glasses on. BTW the sled only had 360 miles on it. Now, I usually wear one contact for close up and one contact for far away. Sounds crazy but after a month or so you get used to it and don't even think about it. I can see perfectly down the trail and at the GPS. No fogging with contacts!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
My Buddy had a BV2 helmet and it shattered in a crash. Never seen that before. Probably just unlucky and got a defective one. I used to want one but I wouldn't have that 'feel good" feeling if I bought one now.

·
Registered
956 Posts
BV2 and glasses didn't work for me. Never been cold in my MX helmet either. The statement above that someone got cold was user and fitment error. Get a real balaclava and goggles and that doesn't happen.
Well I have a 509 Delta R3 helmet and Ive used it with the 509 goggles and it will fog if I am sweating a lot and not going fast enough...
I run mine with the heated shield most of the time, it is warmer whether you will admit it or not and zero fogging.
Always wear my Klim Balaclava.
I have several true MX helmets Fox, Bell etc and a ton of goggles. On cold days riding my quad or Dirtbike it will fog once you work up a sweat. Would never even think about using a MX helmet in VT on trails in cold weather. Maybe ditchbanging , but not at a constant 50-60 mph. :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
36,449 Posts
My Buddy had a BV2 helmet and it shattered in a crash. Never seen that before. Probably just unlucky and got a defective one. I used to want one but I wouldn't have that 'feel good" feeling if I bought one now.
Good helmets should break if hit in a crash situation. Otherwise it's your head which breaks.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
This is the problem with these threads.
People who have no idea how to setup an MX helmet respond.
Well I have a 509 Delta R3 helmet and Ive used it with the 509 goggles and it will fog if I am sweating a lot and not going fast enough...
Then your balaclava is back leaking into your goggles. In the same situation if you took the goggles off and used the screen it would fog too. As an aside, the 509 helmet and 2 pairs of goggles I have from them have only been trumped by a pair of Klim gloves as the most pointless snowmobile purchases I have ever made.

I run mine with the heated shield most of the time, it is warmer whether you will admit it or not and zero fogging.
If you aren't cold ever with a setup is warmer helpful?

I have several true MX helmets Fox, Bell etc and a ton of goggles. On cold days riding my quad or Dirtbike it will fog once you work up a sweat.
Back to the setup isn't right. This is where MX excel. When you are super active and need to not fog. NONE of the modular or screen helmets ever work in those situations, MX do.

Would never even think about using a MX helmet in VT on trails in cold weather. Maybe ditchbanging , but not at a constant 50-60 mph. :dunno:
Constant speed sounds boring as hell. Regardless of the trail, I'd rather have an MX. The arguments for a mod can make sense if you have Maine size Turbo trails that require extended periods of 90+ riding. Not because of cold but because they catch the air more at those speeds and there is no issue fogging when running like that with a non-MX helmet.

·
Registered
956 Posts
This is the problem with these threads.
People who have no idea how to setup an MX helmet respond.

Then your balaclava is back leaking into your goggles. In the same situation if you took the goggles off and used the screen it would fog too. As an aside, the 509 helmet and 2 pairs of goggles I have from them have only been trumped by a pair of Klim gloves as the most pointless snowmobile purchases I have ever made.

If you aren't cold ever with a setup is warmer helpful?

Back to the setup isn't right. This is where MX excel. When you are super active and need to not fog. NONE of the modular or screen helmets ever work in those situations, MX do.

Constant speed sounds boring as hell. Regardless of the trail, I'd rather have an MX. The arguments for a mod can make sense if you have Maine size Turbo trails that require extended periods of 90+ riding. Not because of cold but because they catch the air more at those speeds and there is no issue fogging when running like that with a non-MX helmet.
:blahblah1:
:bsflag:
Only been riding MX since I was 6 but ya sure.

I just told you with the heated shield it NEVER fogs...same helmet, same Balaclava. Goggles dont always fog but certain situations ive had it happen.

Lol that Klim gloves and 509 helmet are YOUR most pointless snowmobile purchases.
I HIGHLY doubt that.

But you sound like you got it all figured out there pal :whistle:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My solution is pretty simple. I have a basic HJC helmet...with a heated shield. To improve air circulation to prevent fogging, i have removed both the nose and chin guards so nothing is attached to my face or nose. I also cut material out of the front of my balaclava so my mouth is not covered, but my chin is, so it doesn't get cold. On really cold days, i wear a light to mid-weight neck gator that i can adjust over my chin to provide extra warmth, but nothing ever covers my mouth or nose. This way, your exhaled breath exhausts out of the bottom of the helmet. I also ensure i am not overheated, by not wearing my shell when getting the sleds ready. I also open my shield at stops to ensure my exhaust is vented out of the helmet. I have no fogging issues ever riding in -15 to 35 degree weather. Works for me, no issues

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
Nothing works... dish soap—no... sprays to treat lenses—no... home remedies that grandma swore by—nope... open face helmet with goggles and a decent (real) balaclava— no (funny how on those really cold minus 30 nights and even colder wind chill temps, your face starts to sting from the cold somehow finding it’s way in. That’s okay...kids that do that are tough...and the impending frostbite �� is something they ignore in front of their sledding buddies. lol �� I’ve seen it!).

Listen, as a seasoned sledder who tried every trick in the book and then some...NOTHING WORKS! So, do the only right next step...reach into your pocket and pull out every spare penny you can find, then just go and buy the BRP BV2S helmet. It’s designed differently than any other helmet or style out there and will actually do what you need it to. It works! I have owned one for years and will never need to improve on this helmet. You will finally be able to see where you’re going with absolutely no fogged up lenses. Does not matter how cold it is....does not matter if you are stopped at a road crossing and waiting to cross, does not matter if you are sledding fast or slow...doesn’t matter if you’re an aggressive sledder and sweat a lot...no need to “crack the visor” to vent that breath! No more wiping the lenses of your glasses, no more heating the glasses in an inner pocket for a moment while your buddies ahead of you pull farther and farther away. ... and then give you s*#t when you catch up to them. “dude...what the hell is taking you so long....wtf,”

Yes, the helmet is expensive ... and worth every penny! The helmet is designed to keep the exhausted breath away from a separate, divided chamber that your face (and glasses), are in. Breathe in fresh air and breathe out stale air...and the two never mix, like they tend to in conventional helmets etc. The separation is key and exactly why they, and only they, work properly. Forget about snot catchers, breath deflectors and all those other gimmicks that are available and claim to keep your glasses and lenses from fogging up. Pffhhh...You know yourself, they simply don’t work! If any of them did, would you even be asking the question in the first place? Stop the nonsense...just go buy the right helmet and be done with it for good!
:bully: :boxing2:
Bang On. I've been riding for 47 years. I have a BV2S. The End.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I've tried everything in this thread and have just about every helmet doo has made. BV2S is a good one, but hot. I finally got lasik, but b4 that, the best thing I found for glasses was a wipe called fogtech. I never leave home with these. One wipe will last a day or so and easy to coat your glasses with it. I carry a dozen or so with me on rides at all times. Couldn't even begin to tell how many I've given them away on the trails. Even with lasik, I still use the wipes on my mod 3 or BV2S in freezing fog conditions. These wipes work great!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
i'm to put it bluntly, going blind, damaged corneas... so i wear glasses of course. made a post about this last year. i use the modular 3 brp electric helmet, and contacts. the helmet worked well with the mask with glasses(with bendable frames i found best for fitting with it), once i adjusted it to my face. when i'm not using the mask i would use the black ops balaclava(dependent on temps) and popping the helmet up when we stop. the only reason i wear the contacts now for riding, is that i'm on my 5th different prescription in a year, cheaper to replace them than the glasses. i'm seriously considering the newest missions helmet for next year as it's lighter and still modular.

thankfully, when we encountered hours of freezing rain, not wearing glasses meant i could still see with my ice caked visor up. the popdown shade also helps as i am light sensitive with the damage. the good thing is, i still see better in the dark as mark learned. he got the lasik, it affected his night vision as it does for some, and he's back to wearing glasses for reading now. lasik doesn't last forever, nor does it work for everyone, just like with contacts.

oh and i rainx both visor and glasses, it helps like the cat stuff. before i got the mod3, i was literally riding blind lmao, without glasses because of the fogging issue.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
"Lost a sled" as in hit a three foot tall bank of snow and ice on a lake at night. To see white on white at night, I definitely should have had glasses on. BTW the sled only had 360 miles on it. Now, I usually wear one contact for close up and one contact for far away. Sounds crazy but after a month or so you get used to it and don't even think about it. I can see perfectly down the trail and at the GPS. No fogging with contacts!!
doing the same thing with my contacts sorta... and seeing white on white is my issue during the day, at night i see better. it's a quirk of my visual issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in the BRP helmet camp. I rode with fogged glasses from 1970 as a puppy, to 1998 when BRP came out with the Mod1. I was riding a Polaris and had no reservations wearing a Doo helmet. Trust me when I tell you that these old timers tried everything before the modular helmets came on the scene. They aren't as handy getting on and off, but they work. Really.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts