Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I’m prepared for the flame fest but hopefully a lesson learned for others. Was trying to fog into the lower crank and the fogging oil straw fell in the cylinder! I then proceeded to slowly pull motor over after looking into spark plug hole somehow thinking the straw would get pushed back up. Big mistake... instead it’s gone elsewhere. Here’s where I’m at now , pulled the Exhaust VES assembly (which was due for cleaning at 2k miles on motor) you’ll see in the pics below. I saw the red straw just barely in the area I circled. What’s my next best option here to get this thing out!? Thanks in advance for any help .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 850 Pro S S.B. 2006 600 Fusion
5,848 Posts
Get a strong light, or maybe a Bend-o-lite and try to see exactly where it went. Maybe you know someone with a video camera/bore scope that can look thru the spark plug hole. Hopefully, it isn't jammed in a port, but that may be too late if only half of it comes out. Since it's plastic, it prolly won't hurt much if it gets chewed up as the engine runs. Try using a forceps or a double jointed forceps to retrieve what you can. Short of pulling off the head, a dab of grease on the end of a skinny screwdriver can sometimes grab a loose piece and slowly pull it out of a hole.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Pulling y-pipe would gain most access I would think if you can't get it out of the guillotine chambers.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m thinking of pulling the head if I can’t get through the exhaust valves. What’s involved with that need to get all the coolant ? Replace gaskets after? Would pulling the head even help much if it’s down one of the ports ? The camera does sound like a good idea I may just have to pull the trigger on one.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Pulling the head is pretty easy. There are no gaskets, only o-rings. If it was mine, I wouldn't worry about replacing any of the o-rings unless I found something damaged. You only need to draw the coolant level down far enough to get the head "dry". Pretty sure pulling the head will get you all the access you need to retrieve the straw. The ports are shaped such that the straw can't drop directly down into the case without hitting an obstruction. I feel your pain - had the same thing happen helping someone get their sled ready for storage as a favor. Was able to fish it out through the spark plug hole, but was sweating that one for a while.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Had this happen to me a few years back on my 2016 800 as well.............machine was being traded in on a 17 so I was worried for the next buyer and what would happen, the piece of straw went into the crank area, we decided to start sled and let it run until good and warm, didn't harm a thing, sled is still going strong to this day with over 7000 miles on it , the straw went into crank area around the 600 mile mark, so there is my experience with the broke off straw.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
^+1 to this.
i rotated the clutch by hand once with the straw in the pot and sheered the straw off. i figured it was a piece of plastic what could hit harm. i started it up and it never complained.

also if you pull the exh and y pipe you could prob get to it.

also dont freak out its summer time now. plenty of time to work on it. plus its really not that hard to work on.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulled the VES exhaust valves, and Y pipe, used an inspection camera and forceps found these 3 pieces. 2 in the Y pipe, 1 in a port. These is the straw compared to full then piece still missing roughly 1.5” of straw. I’m not seeing anything else I’m thinking it’s in the crank, tempted to fire it off...

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
3,913 Posts
happened to me as well with my buddies xc700. Straw blew right in and i got half of it out after pulling the head. 800 miles later sled still runs fine even with the other half mysteriously missing somewhere.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Attempting to put her back together. Had a question on the gaskets noticed Ves Exhaust valves are an O ring so I imagine that can be cleaned up some oil and reused. Was wondering about the gasket on Y pipe and the Donut gaskets on pipe and muffler. Can those be cleaned up if in good shape and add some high temp Red RTV over the gasket? Is it better to use by itself, in addition to gaskets, or not at all? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2019 850 Pro S S.B. 2006 600 Fusion
5,848 Posts
Yep, re-use the O rings without any problem, and I'd leave the RTV off the donuts, those temps get real hot, and even 600 degree stuff won't be there very long. The donuts will reseat after some use. As long as the Y pipe gaskets are torqued evenly, they should be OK without a sealant, too.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Donuts typically have a small v female groove where it locates against the ypipe v groove male. Many model sleds do anyway,

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
i just replaced my whole exh valve assembly as the brass guide in the base that guides the valves were toast. there was brass shavings all around the brass bushings that guide the valves. the stem seal that is above the brass bushings the the bass was also worn out causing them to leak oil on to y pipe.
remember everyone, leaks are always located at the highest point the leak is detected.
so just cause there is oil under your y pipe it could be a could different things.
watch for this as the valve assembly is $380.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
This happened to me 2 years ago. I took the reeds out and used a shop vac on the intake side to suck on the motor turning it over slowly. Found the missing piece of the straw in the hose to the shop vac after. I am not sure fogging is worth this pain in the rear.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Pulled the VES exhaust valves, and Y pipe, used an inspection camera and forceps found these 3 pieces. 2 in the Y pipe, 1 in a port. These is the straw compared to full then piece still missing roughly 1.5” of straw. I’m not seeing anything else I’m thinking it’s in the crank, tempted to fire it off...
This happened to me 2 years ago. I took the reeds out and used a shop vac on the intake side to suck on the motor turning it over slowly. Found the missing piece of the straw in the hose to the shop vac after. I am not sure fogging is worth this pain in the rear.
fill tank with fresh gas run stabil and good to go I’ve never fogged my boats or sleds and had no issues yet the one time I had issues was when I didn’t use stabil and forgot to fill tank

1 - 18 of 18 Posts