Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I start it every month do I need to fog an EFI? And if I do not run it every month does it need to be foged?

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
i run my sleds atleast once a month,
i will do the same to my f-7 that i,
do to the carb, sleds.
besides,.....it helpes me get through the,
long hot summer.
nothing like the smell of klotz. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
410 Posts
You don't fog an EFI! NO, no, no! Just pour some oil in the cylinders and let her sit for the summer. Starting it up every month is not good either as this causes condensation. Leave it where she sits. I coat all metal parts with WD40 and this protects it well. In the fall, just wash it off and shes ready again. B)

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
just did mine today, fog the cylinders and run some sta-bil in the gas, you'll be good to go

·
Registered
582 Posts
Does anyone know if you can fog an efi ? it seems like you could do it through the throttle bodies like a carbed moter . It's the only way I can see to get a coat of oil on the lower end . I've always put allot of faith in what snow tec mag has had to say and they claim that unless you fog your lower end will rust in the summer , especially with the humidity in the mid west . I'm going to snow check a 04 f7 efi so I'm really interested to hear what the efi owners do

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a different way of fogging my motors ,its very simple .Start your sled and let run till stabile has worked its way into fuel system,then when water temp is warm to the feel of your hands on coolant hoses ,pull the injection lever on the oil pump all the way open.This will make a lot of smoke but sure oils all moving parts.i hold the oil pump lever open until the motor almost stalls.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Originally posted by sledhead88@Mar 23 2003, 08:24 PM
You don't fog an EFI! NO, no, no! Just pour some oil in the cylinders and let her sit for the summer. Starting it up every month is not good either as this causes condensation. Leave it where she sits. I coat all metal parts with WD40 and this protects it well. In the fall, just wash it off and shes ready again. B)
Just curious as to why you say not to fog the efi. Been doing it for years.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Originally posted by messickzr+Mar 24 2003, 12:28 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-sledhead88
@Mar 23 2003, 08:24 PM
Just curious as to why you say not to fog the efi. Been doing it for years.[/b]
Same question. My owners manual for my 99 EFI's said to fog.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Put fogging spray into spark hole into cyls. Then pull rope slowly at three times.

No plm for me for several years.

I never put rich oil into carb... Keep carb clean all the time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Originally posted by sledhead88@Mar 23 2003, 08:24 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes.......read your owners manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had only carbs since 1988, and start ours about once a month in the summer. No engine problems. We've had an 88 el tigre 5000, 95 puma, 96 cougar, 97 ext 600tt, and 02 Z570. We garage our sleds so that may make some difference. If we've gotta do this dance with EFI I'm stickin' with carbs.

I rode an F7 this weekend and was impressed but if they are as flimsy as you guys are saying I'm looking for a leftover ZL next season.

·
Registered
485 Posts
:ph34r: For all you maintenance types why not fog the motor ( it's o.k. for e.f.i. ) and give the oil pump arm a tug also? and when your done that pull the plugs and give the cylinders about a teaspoon of oil. The idea behind all of this is to give all the engine internals a good coating of oil to protect against rust and corrosion. Remember the ports stand a good chance of being open to the outside air and condensation happens all the time. Some may say all that oil will cause a hard start in the fall. The e.f.i. motor should have no problems .I don't see what starting it up once a month proves other than it will still start. If your fuel has stabilizer in it you should be good to go in the fall, however maybe drain this out just before the first ride. That fuel is ok for the pickup truck but why chance the octane drop? Here are some other thoughts. Elevating the sled off the suspension and relaxing the springs sounds good to me. While your at it why not back off the track tension also and put some plywood or something the cement and the underside of your sled ? I don't know if it's an old "urban legend " or not but the rubber ( the track) being near cement will prematurely age it, same as prolonged exposure to sunlight. Why not shove some steel wool up the exhaust also? Keeps any critters out of there? These are just some ideas and opinions. Why not scrap the whole idea of storing it and grass drag it ? :) :D :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well besides keeping your arm in shape over the summer, I was told by my dealer that starting them once a month will not only keep the battery in shape if you have electric start, but heating them up will dry out moisture, change the gas in the carbs, re-oil the engine, (and chase the mice out of the airbox). I don't always remember to do it but I have had zero engine problems since I learned not to pound on a liquid when it is cold.

I usually put on at least 5000+ miles on a sled before it gets traded or sold and I have them prepped before each riding season at my dealer. That way if there are any problems I can blame my pit crew. So far - so good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts