Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has an 04 Sabercat. He tried starting it for the first time this season and it would sputter but not start. Ended up flooding it big time with gas leaking from the exhaust flange and occasionally
very hard to pull on recoil.
We ended up taking the carbs apart and there was quite a bit of gunk inside the bowl. Cleaned carbs up nicely but sled still will not start and motor still seems to be loaded up.

I did try taking the spark plugs out and pullstart it but that didn't help.
I have read on here about draining the crankcase...but where are the bolts and how many are there? And how does gas get by the rings into the case to begin with?
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
314 Posts
A friend of mine has an 04 Sabercat. He tried starting it for the first time this season and it would sputter but not start. Ended up flooding it big time with gas leaking from the exhaust flange and occasionally
very hard to pull on recoil.
We ended up taking the carbs apart and there was quite a bit of gunk inside the bowl. Cleaned carbs up nicely but sled still will not start and motor still seems to be loaded up.

I did try taking the spark plugs out and pullstart it but that didn't help.
I have read on here about draining the crankcase...but where are the bolts and how many are there? And how does gas get by the rings into the case to begin with?
Thanks for any suggestions.[/b]
It is a two cycle. Gas goes into the crankcase first and then gets blown up on top of the piston on the downstroke. That is how your crank bearings and rods get lubricated.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Are you even getting spark?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
There should be two brass plug all the way to the bottom of the case on the exhaust side.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Pull the drain plugs in the crankcase as mentioned. I also take a small propane torch and lite off the excess in the cylinders. Pull the spark plugs, and aim the flame down the hole. Just be careful so you don't singe the eyebrows.

·
Registered
673 Posts
First find and fix the reason the engine filed with gas in the first place.

Now assuming you got spark and most of the gas as possiable out your still in for some work yet. Heat the plugs up with a propane tourch untill it's almost too hot to hold the cap. Replace quickly (hand tight is good for now) start engine, it should fire for a second or two. When it dies repeat heating plugs and starting engine untill it stays going (it may take lot of tries), install new plugs and take it for a rip (or run on a stand) to burn off the remaining excess fuel in the case.

Heating the plugs helps them fire more before soaking in gas again. This has happened to me and a few buds with sleds and bikes in the past and this method seems to be the easiest way we could get it going again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts