Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
Run what it will pull, or needs.

I was running 66 and was going to try 68. Thats with htg pipes.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
sumone posted here to run 66s...doug told me 64..anyone got sum experience with these motors at all??[/b]

I think I heard once that people who do 10 percent of the testing do 90 percent of the winning. You will find many setups here for flannery motors. I too have one but lost a cylinder in the first 4 miles I rode it. I started with 64s and really did not get to test it. Some will say heavy weights less helix and some will advise more helix and less weight. I would get a mule sled and try it with 62s,64s,66s to see which works best for you. I know in the primary people seem to like the almond round or the almond black or something around there. I know one XCR owner with "mild" porting is running 58s. I rode it with 60s in it and it flat out ran. He states its faster now!!!! GO DON....

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
Kinda depends on what primary spring, and secondary setup, and gearing your running also.

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
I think I heard once that people who do 10 percent of the testing do 90 percent of the winning. You will find many setups here for flannery motors. I too have one but lost a cylinder in the first 4 miles I rode it. I started with 64s and really did not get to test it. Some will say heavy weights less helix and some will advise more helix and less weight. I would get a mule sled and try it with 62s,64s,66s to see which works best for you. I know in the primary people seem to like the almond round or the almond black or something around there. I know one XCR owner with "mild" porting is running 58s. I rode it with 60s in it and it flat out ran. He states its faster now!!!! GO DON....[/b]

Was this the prox with hotseat pipes? Those pipes tend to want more rpm, less weight. HTG pipes pull harder at a lower rpm.

·
Premium Member
39,129 Posts
I think I heard once that people who do 10 percent of the testing do 90 percent of the winning. You will find many setups here for flannery motors. I too have one but lost a cylinder in the first 4 miles I rode it. I started with 64s and really did not get to test it. Some will say heavy weights less helix and some will advise more helix and less weight. I would get a mule sled and try it with 62s,64s,66s to see which works best for you. I know in the primary people seem to like the almond round or the almond black or something around there. I know one XCR owner with "mild" porting is running 58s. I rode it with 60s in it and it flat out ran. He states its faster now!!!! GO DON....[/b]

Thanks Blake, but you know all the porting and engine work is my own, not Dougs, I bore my own carbs and cut the heads on my lathe, oops I forgot I just did your heads. Your cylinder should be back soon.
Lots of racing here yesterday, the only sled my XCR 800 lost to was the 1100 Crankshop XCR, and it was very close on the snow, on ice, he killed me, darn chisels he had.

Don

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Thanks Blake, but you know all the porting and engine work is my own, not Dougs, I bore my own carbs and cut the heads on my lathe, oops I forgot I just did your heads. Your cylinder should be back soon.
Lots of racing here yesterday, the only sled my XCR 800 lost to was the 1100 Crankshop XCR, and it was very close on the snow, on ice, he killed me, darn chisels he had.
Don[/b]
Don: I did forget to mention it was your own porting. Tried to hide it when I said "mild" which makes mine look silly. Once I get my xcr running, I will bring her over for you to give me a lesson or two. I am sure people are very familiar with the back of your helmet. To keep up with Dans 1100, that is really really good!!!!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
for clutching there is no setup. it depends on how you like to ride. tight and twisty is one setup. paddle track in poweder is another, flat open lakes and trails is another. you can mix and match to get a good base setup that does a couple fine. on my ported and piped sleds depending on the day, conditions and the riding i went from 58-66 grams in the primary, 23-41 to 25-36 gearing, and straght 34 helix to 53-36 helix with soft and hard secondary springs. i would also change between a 121 track and 144 track. that got old though, this year i am trying to find one good track that can give me some fun everywhere.

·
Premium Member
18,487 Posts
Don[/b]
So Don, are you telling us you're beating piped XCR 800s with stock pipes? Doesn't the DYNO say that pipes will win?

LOL!

Phil

·
Premium Member
39,129 Posts
So Don, are you telling us you're beating piped XCR 800s with stock pipes? Doesn't the DYNO say that pipes will win?

LOL!

Phil[/b]
As you know Phil, in almost every case, the stock pipes will make more HP, I didn't care to pipe this sled as I tried to keep it looking and sounding stock, it drives the Cat guys nuts. LOL

Don

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have a Flannery ported motor with htg pipes and run 64's. I set up my brothers as well but put 66's. Don't quote me on this but i spoke to doug one time and he said he runs 64's in his. Obviously there are many factors/different combinations and they all need to be addressed/tuned individually. I run 90% trail. I figured the engine can spin up 64's easier corner to corner than the 66's. Also i was told the 66's are too aggressive in the midrange. If i remember right if the conditions are slightly less ideal than your tune the 66's can load you down in rpm and the cdi will give you a little too much timing. In my experience(i'm no snowmobile genius) but i've riden xcr 800 for over 10,000 miles. 1400 miles on my flannery 03 in the last 14 days alone. Without something like a tempaflow(sitting in my toolbox)as soon as it's a little warmer out the power drops quite a bit then you can't pull the weight. I'm running 450 460 450 jetting which i figure is good to -10. I guess it depends on your riding style. If you only lake race and jet it right on, you may need the weight to bring the revs down, but riding down loggin roads, rail beds trail riding various rpms or varying temperatures the less weight is snappier. i'd rather over shoot my rpm a lil than never quite achieve it. I leave in the morning and it's 18 degrees, by 2pm it's 30 something, then 2 am it's 10 degrees. Quite a difference in how it runs. It pulls 8200 or so(short runs) when it's 30ish and 8500 or so when it's ten or so. I guess my point is if you tune for something specific, then thats all it's good for. For me real world, i like the lighter weight. i had my brothers today and he had mine, mid thirties out, rolling 40ish on the rail bed, he smoked me, i could only pull the 66's to 8,000 or 8100(again short run), last night on some logging roads it was 20 degrees we each had our own sleds.....he pulled next to me rolling 40ish, we raced too over a true 100mph, i took him pretty good about 10 times in a row........he had trouble pulling the full rpm again. I'm sure if it was single digits out, things might be different......but thats more seldom. There are a few differences in our setups though. I have rad valves, he is still running stock reeds. He runs a 23 top gear......which never made a difference when we were stock, or ported before. After we messed around last night i learned that he secretly had the local dealer install a 40 bottom gear......hahaha what are brothers for? If you are gonna cheat you should at least win. lol

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
01xcr800

hes running 23-40 gears, what are you running?

Identical secondary setups between both sleds?

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
On my 99 Flannery ported, piped, tempaflo,ect. I run 66's with an almond square spring (tried two new almond round but the square worked better) 24 -40 gears ,136 track and a 46-36 Dalton with a artic cat yellow spring. When you run it in powder it will drop rpms and when dragging from a roll (50ish) its not great. I do like it from a standing start pulls 8500 right away and stays there till your over 120 on the speedo. I ran my sons buddy 98 Tcat from a roll and from a standing start. Rolling even till over 120 on speedo then went past him. Standing start never seen him and we ran for at least a mile.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
:russian_roulette: there are a few differant setups that get you to the same place, 40 bottom gear did nothing for me, running with the same well setup 03 d&d 03 zr900, i gained nothing going to 40 bottem gear. i to have a few miles on a flannery xcr8, had one of every year made,99-03, gearing down to run a short race is ok, but on the lakes or roads where most of the running is done there is no finish line, being first off the line is good, but getting passed at 100 just takes all the glory out of it. might as well be on a twin. i have two of the 40 bottem gears i would sell, 1 poo lightweight gear, used 1 day, and a new epi, never opened.

·
Registered
668 Posts
01xcr800

hes running 23-40 gears, what are you running?

Identical secondary setups between both sleds?[/b]
I'm running stock 24/39 Yes identical secondary, hsp 52 38x helix with arctic cat yellow secondary.....same hole.....i think 2 it's been a while.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts