Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share now that I have a camera

First I took off the seat and used marine silicone to seal all around the heat exchanger seal as there were a few missed spots.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next I took liquid metal(JB Weld, etc) and filled in the spaces right where the tunnel kinks as the aluminum tape wasn't quite up to the task! :wacko:
As you can see I'm not a professional :p

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I then sealed off both sides of the tailight plastic with the silicone.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I then went and bought the thickest foam weatherstripping I could find(I believe it was 3/8") I used black closed cell, it's worked so far. I put a piece straight across the back of the tunnel so that it butted up against the plastic that the tailight wire runs through. Also when the seat is back on it should be just barely noticable. I then went across the rear side of the weatherstripping with a bead of silicone from one side to the other.
Then I cut a couple of smaller pieces and put them by the tunnel bends, just in case.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that the tunnel is done I turned my attention to the seat. I ran a piece of weatherstripping down each side of the seat front to back. After both sides were done I ran 2 pieces across the back of the seat parallel to each other: one that goes over top of the side pieces and then one right beside it but inside the side strips.
Confused yet? :D

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a little bit of weatherstripping left over so I cut 2 small pieces. You can see the one, the other is under the rearmost strip where the groove is in the seat.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As you can see it's barely noticable that anything has been done and I have put on over 800 miles since this fix with ZERO ice.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more...
As a side note I am in Northern Ontario so most of my riding is -20C or colder, still not a problem. Total fix took under $30 Cdn, so all you southern neighbours are probably looking at about a $2 fix :p

Good luck guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good job,I had the same problem and am sure many others have to. My fix, remove seat and re-seal any gaps in seal around heat exchanger. then removed tailight assembly and put self adhesive foam tape all along the plastic assembly width on the side closest to the seat. What happens is the track forces the snow up along the snow flap up the underside of the tailight assembly between it and the tunnel then up against the back of the seat where it finds a gap under the seat. There the snow finds the heat exchanger, forms water, leaks out wherever and freezes. cost=2.00 canadian or 2 cents American. Hope this will help.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Flying F7sp -

I did exactly the same fix as you did, everything except the JB weld, I used Permatex Black RTV gasket maker in the spot where you used the JB and then put new tape over it. I do like the JB weld idea better for that area.

I had the similar results completely eliminated any icing issues and a super easy fix, anything to eliminate another trip to dealer for update.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I did the same things as FlyingF7sp on my F5 but used Automotive Goop and after a 1000 miles no leaks and it is holding on very good yet.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
ah ye old ice under the seat thing again :wacko: old news . i wonder what they did on the 04 s to stop it <_<

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
nothing just more sealent and tape (poor design realy!!) why were the old zl-zr,s so good and the new f,s are bogus!! i just don,t get it my 02 zl-500 might vibrate and buz but no icy seats

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hey flyingf7sp! That thing should float now! Just kidding, :div20: thanks for the info!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Originally posted by switta@Apr 2 2003, 09:31 PM
ah ye old ice under the seat thing again :wacko: old news . i wonder what they did on the 04 s to stop it <_<
They didn't.
I hope I did.
I was able to see a hole around the heat exchanger where they missed with the silicone. I cut it off and redid it all and then turned my attention to the underside.
Same deal, sealed it off from the bottom too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pig Skin
Rode with my buddy and his did not ice up. Mine did, Take a look at the added piece over your rear heat exchanger. I sure seem to me that the problem was greatly reduced.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts