Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are those that had some major problems this year, but for those, like me, who didn't, how did you like it?

I just put on 560 miles in the past 2 1/2 days for a grand total of 1065 miles for the year. Not as much as I would have liked, but better than some years.

After my first season with the F7, here are my likes and dislikes:

1.) Speed is great compared to other brands and other Cat's I've owned. I could easily catch any other 700 or 800 and pass them at will.
2.) Looks are second to none. All of my buddies love it's looks too and they own Polaris and Ski Doo's
3.) Bump handling is great. My friend who is a Ski Doo person finally rode mine and liked it better than the REV and he really liked the REV before he rode mine.
4.) Gas/Oil consumption is AWESOME. I would go through 2 qts. of oil to my friends 6-8 qts. Also, the gas mileage is spectacular. At each fill-up I would average $4-7 less than my friends on their Polaris and Ski Doo's. None of them are more than two years old. They couldn't believe it. This thing will pay for itself in gas in oil in a matter of years.
5.) Durablility and reliability was excellent. At nearly 1100 miles, I had absolutely no problems. With a bath, this thing still looks brand new. My friends Pro X 600 broke a shock and nearly broke the belly pan/bulk head in half on this last trip and mine didn't have even a loose bolt on it.
6.) EFI rocks. It is reliable and very efficient. For those debating on carb or efi for next year, a small amount of performance isn't worth the perfection of the EFI. Get the EFI. It's even better than it used to be.
7.) Handwarmers are great. I rarely use them because the windshield also does and excellent job of deflecting the wind, yet still looks great.
8.) Cooling system works great. We rode in some low snow conditions the other day and one of the sleds in the pack overheated and fried a sensor that forced it to stay in the limp mode. We had to leave them at a local bar and come back for them many hours later. AC did the right thing by adding bigger coolers in the off-season, thus making them heavier overall.

Dislikes or Changes:

1.) Because I haven't changed a thing, yet I could handle better in the tight corners at higher speeds. Not enough ski pressure and too much ski lift and/or push. According to many of your posts this year, this should be able to be fixed rather easily in the off season.
2.) Speedo/Tach doesn't light up nearly enough at night. Need a better way to illuminate this thing. I love it during the day though. Very visible and accurate.
3.) More storage. Hopefully someone will come out with an oil caddy this year. Can't even fit a qt. of oil in this thing.

Because I didn't have any major failures this year, I have to rate the F7 SnoPro an A overall. And that's my 10 cents.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
2450 miles and counting.
Only update: Rope fix
Missing a bushing on the front skid mount. Caught that at under 100 miles.
Best Cat I ever owned.
To best describe the 700- NASTY!!

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
there are a few oil cadys out there. I cant think of one dislike on my f7 other than not enough aftermarket parts available for it. The dilikes you mentioned...I put c & a's on and that solved most of it, I put a 2 quart oil caddy on and my speedo is more than bright enough. maybe I just got lucky :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
I love the F7 :wub: 1700 miles of pure thrills!!!!!!!! I can not wait for next season. only problems were the snowflap and pealing graphics, but dealer is going to replace under warranty!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed being a "Test Pilot" for this machine. Best snowmobiling season in years and I owe much of this to my F7 std with just shy of 2000 miles.

Of course I love the power, last two sleds ZRT6 and ZRT8, it was hard to give up that midrange pull of the triple, however this was overcome the very first day I held it to the bar...awsome. And this sled corners too, set-up set-up set-up, can't be said enough here apparently.

My favorite charicteristic is the feel of the sled, I love the rider position and narrow tunnel and find it difficult to ride other machines now. I swapped with my buddies XC8 X and he was pissed that I wanted mine back after 5 miles! lol I used to ride it for at least 30 - 40 miles a trip!

Overall I too will rate this sled as an A. As for anyone with problems, stick with it, you will not regret your decision. B)

·
Registered
395 Posts
B) I put just over 1200 miles on mine this year. Took me a while to get used to the handling differences versus my 01' sno pro. Still doesn't turn as well, but changed skiis to C&A pro race. Hopefully this will improvewith some additional tweeking. However, the power is awesome. From a standstill , this thing is a rocket! It handles the bumpy terain better as you sqeeze the throttle. Looks are 2nd to none. I've got the team arctic green sno pro. The only thing I didn't like, well actually two things, 1) top speed, could only get 100mph out of her, even on hard pack 2) didn't like the unfinished alum. rails, get discolored look bad, so I installed the 02' sno pro green rails, looks trick. Overall I'm very happy with the sled. :wub:

·
Registered
780 Posts
1100 Miles, Blown motor(bad oil pump setting- but concerned how long crank and bearings will last), had to do my own recoil fix(spectra), a couple of chewed flaps(although Cat gave me a new one you still have to use strap to keep it from shredding - very cheesy), Seat is ripping at bottom, have replaced four wheels, and there is a lot of vibration.

I love the power and handling, fuel economy. Hate the seat, I wish it was at least 3 inches higher like the REV.

Concerned about longevity, I want to do long trips next year, and feel like I should trade for an '04 to be safe, however with all the problems resale values are crap and it will cost me a lot to trade.

My dealer is talking $3,500-$4,000 (35-40% depreciation with only 1,100 miles) cdn to trade plus studs, so I'm looking at over $5,000 cdn with Tax for a sled which only cost $10,000 CDN in the first place.

My friend has an RX-1 and he has been quoted $2,300 CDN (20% depreciation with over 2,300 miles) to trade for a sled that is $11,000 cdn.

I like my Cat, but I like to upgrade every year, and don't like the severe hits you have to take with CATS.

·
Registered
252 Posts
1230 miles w/ my F7 std with big boy kit. My vin # only needed about 1/3 of the total updates. Only problem I had was after rope fix, rope remained out. Took in and entire recoil was replaced. No problems since. Still on original plugs and belt. Came off '97 ZRT 600 and I can't believe the difference in weight. This sled makes me a better rider and the power is awesome. Don't regret my purchase and will be keeping this one. Will be working on valving a little more, but the Powder Pro made a huge difference in handling. The best sled I've ever owned, period!

catfish

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Put on just under 1000 miles on my F7 std. Not one problem. Updates were a bit of a pain but overall very satisfied with this machine! Last run, kicked ass on my buddy with his RX1ton. He couldn't believe the hold shot of the F7!!!!!!! Let's hope next year this thing hold up strong!!!! Going to have dealer pull Y pipe and check cylinders ect.......

·
Registered
986 Posts
Good enough that I got 3 more 2004 F7s comming

·
Registered
21 Posts
For those of you who remember me as "F7 The Widowmaker" know the HELL I went through with my first F7 with only 330 miles it blew up 2x in 6 days etc etc

Since then I've been riding the replacement F7 Cat gave me with absolutely no problems whatsoever thusfar. 1150 miles in the last month.. Gas, oil consumption is great, even with the pump set richer. The sled started to run brutally strong after about 700miles? At this point with a clutch kit, canister and intake I'd line up against anything with confidence.

Vibration is still a major concern and I can see why AC is replacing so many pipes due to cracking.

For what started out as a nightmare, has since turned around full circle!

For those who were keeping up on the problems of my first sled ( between all the bashing and ignorance of alot of posters) the dealer informed me today AC found a block in the rad on that sled. So for those who said I knew nothing, I was the problem etc etc... Cat was at fault with my first sled with poor quality control.

Best of Luck with your F7's

I'll be trading for a 04 F7 or F8

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
1200 miles, love the sled, just wish it wasn't in the shop for 4 weeks of the season. Probably would have done 2500 - 3000 miles if I had it the whole year. I will never buy a first year sled again, that's for sure. Guess when I trade after next year things should be great, hopefully the bugs will be worked out by then.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just love it after 1351 trouble free miles...The thing is the most fun sled I've ridden since my 1976 440 SnoTwister....LOL Scary fast,Looks killer Can't wait till next year...I'm thinking of buying an f5

·
Registered
81 Posts
1362 miles, no problems what so ever... Most Fun, Fastest, Best damn sled I have ever owned !!!! will keep 1 more season and then get an 05...
'nuff said. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Over 2000 trouble free miles, put on Simmonds skis at about 300 miles, since then I like it better than my ZR. Most fun sled I've ever ridden.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Love my F-7. Power is so solid, suspension is getting better every time I tweak it, love the ergo's (isovibe makes it PERFECT). Rode all the new sled's this year and nothing compares to the firecat. I can live w/ a few recalls.... worth riding a cutting edge sled. Ordering my wife a 5 in a couple of weeks. C&A skis really make this machine shine :wub:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts