Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a new sled this year, and now the ZR900 which I wanted will have this new Direct Drive system. I like the sounds of it, but will it be reliable? Do I wanna get into a first year model, not really. So now im back to my original choice, an F7 snopro, or the ZR900 snopro with DD. I had made up my mind after extensively riding both machines this year. I feel the ZR900 handles much better at higher speeds, while the Firecat is better in bumps and twisties. However the ZR900 snopro is more the adequate on the bumps and twisties. And the power, even thou the F7 has been known to beat the ZR9, the power is amazing. Much different from the Firecat. I wish I knew more about this direct drive system, and I wish I didnt have to be a guinnie pig to get a ZR9 next year. So here is my final question to you all, would you go with a ZR9 EFI Snopro with direct drive, or a Firecat F7 Team Arctic Snopro with Crosslink. I anticipate many sleepless nights pondering this one!!!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
I could be wrong, but I haven't heard crosslink is available. When it comes to the direct drive, I would trust it. They have been testing it on real sleds for at least 2 years. In fact, they have been testing it less than 30 minutes from my house the last 2 years. The 900 isn't a new sled, only the DD is new. If you have your heart set on the 900 I don't think you can go wrong. It will be awesome.

Cat S.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
The DD has been on Tuckers Open sled for 2 years.[/b]
I don't think that is a true statement. If it was they kept it a good secret. Don't jump on my ass if I'm wrong!! :p :wacko:

Cat S.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
I havn't heard of many F7's beating the 9's. I think the 9 will be faster and the weight will be reduced with the DD. I bought the F7 this year and yes, it is a different ride then the ZR. I feel the F does handle the crap better but you need to get used to the cornering with the F. If lake racing is what you want then the ZR9 will fit you fine. The F7 is an all around performer with the new body style. Your choice. I think You'll be happy with either one. My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Originally posted by messickzr@Feb 25 2003, 10:12 AM
Tucker had the cross-link on his sled before it hit public knowledge and we knew nothing about it. Who knows???
when tucker won the gold at winter x ...he was riding on the thinner firecat track in a conventional chassis. no one noticed that...doubt anyone would notice something under the hood

·
Registered
49 Posts
Personaly I think the DD system will prove to be MORE reliable than conventional chain case simply because it is and interlocked system with no slack or chain to break. Two gears meshed together is much tougher to break than a chain. If your want a 900 and the only thing holding you back is the DD then you nothing to worry about. I would be excited if I were you :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess you are all right, and I feel more comfy with the DD system now. But man, Maximum sled has pics, and the graphics package on the ZR900 is not good :huh: What is up with that? I loved last years package, reminisent of the 98 ZR's, this year its all boxy and only black as the primary color :unsure: I suppose I could always peel em off and get the 03 graphics, What to do! On the plus side, the F7 Team Arctic looks sweet, I may be on a firecat after all. I guess I will be tossin and turning for the next month or so!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Will they have different gears available for the Direct Drive? I heard it was only geared for 115 so if you mod it how do you gear it up?

·
Registered
534 Posts
if their is no chain to break than what will break if the chain was the weakest link????
------

1. belt

(my guess #1)

2. Drive Sprocket assembly (my guess #2, but it'd have to be one heck of a force).

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
There will be different gear raitos but not at this time they have to be designed into the box not just bolted in. As of now you can change track sprocket bigger or smaller to effect gear raito

1 - 14 of 14 Posts