Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In all the years I've been doing this, I have never made a trip to Gaylord. Started out many many years ago with trips to Grayling but have spent the last 20 years from one end of the UP to the other.
Taking a trip with my wife this Sunday the 19th for 4 days and she wants to go someplace closer, so Gaylord it is. (I do have a backup plan with reservations at White Pine in Christmas as well).
My dilemma is, I don't have a flippin' clue as to where to go there. I have reservations at the Baymont because I don't like trailering to trailheads with her and I see the trail is right there. I've been to Starvation Lake and Settings when coming from Grayling but beyond that....nuttin'.
I need to keep her daily miles in the 100-120 range so I can't venture too far. Can anyone recommend places to go, places to avoid and best way out of town. Looks like if I head north on 7 I have to cross the highway?

·
Registered
60 Posts
The trail goes under the highway. You can go north to Indian River and all the way up to Mackinaw city and get the stock photo in front of the Mackinac Bridge. From Cheboygan you can go East through Black Mountain which is a really nice trail, and there is a decent restaurant called the Bluffs right on the trail. From Indian River you can go west to Alanson, through the hills circling around and coming back down through Pellston. On Trail 7 in Wolverine there is a nice restaurant called the Thirsty Sturgeon which is really good.

That all being said we don't have much snow up here, but they are calling for some more on Saturday, but they called for a bunch this last Saturday that we did not get either.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
They have been grooming a lot this year. Trails r ok but we could use more snow. Stay west and north and you will be fine. Getting to indian river will be rough. Stay wolverine south and west and you will be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
West to the Jordan Valley trail is a nice ride. Stop by the fish hatchery. The Settings in Lakes of the North is a good stop on the way.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Be prepared. Sunday and Monday in that area will be a MADHOUSE. Holiday weekend and snow in the forecast
There is some great riding in that area but I avoid it like the Black Plague unless it’s mid week.
I’ll second the thirsty sturgeon in wolverine, Setting in LON. In mackinaw city I prefer the Keyhole.

In Gaylord big buck brewery is pretty good.
Vivios in Indian River has really good pizza
If snow is better south Frederic has a few places to eat but The Dead Bear and Spikes Keg of Nails in Grayling are better and can be reach by sled

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Be prepared. Sunday and Monday in that area will be a MADHOUSE. Holiday weekend and snow in the forecast
There is some great riding in that area but I avoid it like the Black Plague unless it’s mid week.
I’ll second the thirsty sturgeon in wolverine, Setting in LON. In mackinaw city I prefer the Keyhole.

If snow is better south Frederic has a few places to eat but The Dead Bear and Spikes Keg of Nails in Grayling are better and can be reach by sled
He will be in walking distance of the Big Buck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Places to avoid... ?

Gaylord
I know , I know. Wife does one trip a year and wants to not drive as far and snow is all relative to her. And from my perspective the following is a bonus:

Half the money for gas-Cha Ching.
Half the money for hotel-Cha Ching.
One less day to take off work-Cha Ching.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The trail goes under the highway. You can go north to Indian River and all the way up to Mackinaw city and get the stock photo in front of the Mackinac Bridge. From Cheboygan you can go East through Black Mountain which is a really nice trail, and there is a decent restaurant called the Bluffs right on the trail. From Indian River you can go west to Alanson, through the hills circling around and coming back down through Pellston. On Trail 7 in Wolverine there is a nice restaurant called the Thirsty Sturgeon which is really good.

That all being said we don't have much snow up here, but they are calling for some more on Saturday, but they called for a bunch this last Saturday that we did not get either.

Might have misunderstood. Was wondering about crossing the 5 lane (32) by the hotel or do you head south and west and around. That roads tough to cross in a car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Might have misunderstood. Was wondering about crossing the 5 lane (32) by the hotel or do you head south and west and around. That roads tough to cross in a car.
There is a designated sled crossing downtown Gaylord right next to the railroad tracks as part of trail 7 heading north. It’s nothing to cross as traffic slows down going through town.

Also, if you want a truly special meal, head to Bennethum’s just south of town on Old 27...probably the best restaurant we go to on a regular basis in town.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
There is a designated sled crossing downtown Gaylord right next to the railroad tracks as part of trail 7 heading north. It’s nothing to cross as traffic slows down going through town.

Also, if you want a truly special meal, head to Bennethum’s just south of town on Old 27...probably the best restaurant we go to on a regular basis in town.
Second for Bennethums...AWESOME ???

Never want to talk down a town or trail but probably a good idea to avoid East Jordan. Anybody that has ridden the trail into East Jordan can correct me(tell me it is good because I sure want to launch from EJ snowmobile club)but I expect that the swampy area along M66 will be wet and bumpy unless we get snow and cold weather.

·
Administrator
24,705 Posts

I’ve sat at the intersection that the OP was asking about (M-32) for 5-7 minutes during the slow time of the day, on a Thursday. Prepare to sit there for a while. Traffic on M-32 is heavy at most any time of the day.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

All great runs, can't go wrong doing any of them. Thirsty Sturgeon is a great place to stop

Places to avoid... ?

Gaylord

It all depends on when you go

They have been grooming a lot this year. Trails r ok but we could use more snow. Stay west and north and you will be fine. Getting to indian river will be rough. Stay wolverine south and west and you will be fine.

:thumbsup: Could use some more snow, but I guess that could be said about almost any where. We rode Trail 7 yesterday south. All I can say is WOW, talk about nice, it's not the same trail as before. We left Jo-Berg (LBL) around 10, headed to Gaylord than over to the Settings, Hideaway, over to Frederic than back home. The trails were all groomed except a section of 79 about 6 miles. Got into Frederic, stopped at gas station for couple bottles of water. While there seen an ambulance heading north. It stopped where at the intersection of 679 and 7, just came off 679 about 5 minutes beforehand. We headed north on 7 and went by the accident. Someone on a cat hit the electrical pole straight on. They hit so hard that it snapped the top off the pole. Couldn't tell if anyone was hurt, but they had the road blocked.

Although Sunday through Thursday may be the ticket to traffic and mogul free riding.

My son and I work on Saturday, so usually head up after work. We usually ride Sunday though Tuesday or Wednesday. Always great riding during that time.

Another place we like is Alpine Tavern in Gaylord. It's right off the trail and you can get to it by sled

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I’ve sat at the intersection that the OP was asking about (M-32) for 5-7 minutes during the slow time of the day, on a Thursday. Prepare to sit there for a while. Traffic on M-32 is heavy at most any time of the day.

That's because your on a Poo :lol: :bc:

No, I've sat there for a few, but not that long. I've also pulled up, came to a stop, and went right across. Guess it's a hit or a miss :dunno:

Was some great riding yesterday. Now this morning, we took the dreaded 448 towards Lewiston. Knew we should of stopped going that way before we even hit William R Kelly. Anyways made it to Lewiston (Buttles/612) and decided to head back and call it a day. It was drizzling all the time we was out and freezing. The trails looked like they haven't been groomed for a while, rode down the side of Bear Lake Rd to get back.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I did misunderstand. I was thinking I75 which it goes under. For 32 like another said it crosses right downtown, and typically it is not too bad cause there are lights to both the east and west so you can usually cross easily. (no worse than any other downtown road you would come to elsewhere).

·
Administrator
24,705 Posts
That's because your on a Poo :lol: :bc:

No, I've sat there for a few, but not that long. I've also pulled up, came to a stop, and went right across. Guess it's a hit or a miss :dunno:

Was some great riding yesterday. Now this morning, we took the dreaded 448 towards Lewiston. Knew we should of stopped going that way before we even hit William R Kelly. Anyways made it to Lewiston (Buttles/612) and decided to head back and call it a day. It was drizzling all the time we was out and freezing. The trails looked like they haven't been groomed for a while, rode down the side of Bear Lake Rd to get back.

The “Poo” that drug that broken Doo back home? That one? Well yes it was. :lol:

I actually wouldn’t mind going for a ride. Work isn’t totally co-operating and I REALLY would rather ride my RMK. Seriously considering selling it though. I’ve ridden it twice in the two years I’ve owned it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts