Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
4 nuts and bolts. Loosen rear wheels loosen rear axle adjuster bolts and pull it out. I don’t compress it. But you could if you wanted.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Heading to dealer Friday to transfer extended warranty. I'll ask about these two items. I put the VIN through Polaris site and it didn't come up with any recalls but not sure how accurate that tool is.
The main problem with the temp sensor jump wire is the plug end to the sensor would loose contact and the your gauge would start flashing "cold engine" and it would go into a rich mode and sometime limit RPM. A quick fix was to dig into the plug and bend the contacts together. In 2019 they did not have a jump wire the wire harness was solid wired into the sensor. They may have gone back to that in 2021.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
The main problem with the temp sensor jump wire is the plug end to the sensor would loose contact and the your gauge would start flashing "cold engine" and it would go into a rich mode and sometime limit RPM. A quick fix was to dig into the plug and bend the contacts together. In 2019 the did not have a jump wire the wire harness was solid wired into the sensor. They may have gone back to that in 2021.
Doug, the MY21 part number for the engine coolant sensor is:
2415756 ASM-THERMISTER/JUMPER

Used on all MY21 850 Patriot engines
once again it has a pigtail potted into the sensor with connector on the end of the wire.

$ price not available yet.

Reactions: Doug S

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Pulled the skid this weekend and taking shocks in to be rebuilt. Noticed one of the bearings in idler wheel was noisy. Going to replace all. Anybody have success with NTN Black Ice bearings? Expensive but they should last a lot longer.

Also noticed the two larger wheels that guide the top of the track by torsion springs don't free spin like the idler wheels. Is this normal or are both those bearings going bad?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
ateick, FYI
The idler wheels are the 3 or 4 Rear Idler Wheels, mounted on an axle, at the back of the rail, where the track bends close to 180 degrees.
The rest of the wheels attached to the rail are Bogie Wheels.
The wheels inside the tunnel that support the weight of the track, are Carrier Wheels. You have to get the track pressure off of them before you can test. This can be done with a small prybar/large screwdriver, maybe a small wood block to pry on, from inside the track, usually.

Reactions: ateick

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks Excursion for identifying the 3 types. It's the Carrier Wheels I have concerns with. Skid is out of the sled so no track pressure on them and they don't spin freely. There's no noise from them but you can't spin them like the Price is Right wheel and have them spin freely by themselves for a period of time. I'm assuming that all three types of wheels on the skid should spin the same?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Sure, just trying to provide the correct terms, so we can all understand what's going on.
Look closely, and see if a bushing, or washer or even the internal snap ring holding the bearing in the wheel, is jamming against something else. With the rear suspenion out of the sled, they could be getting interference. OR the bearings could be bad.

·
Vendor
10,122 Posts
do not use black ice bearings. these are low friction seals and grease for drag racing only. low friction seals means water will get into them. we tested these and they all failed in one season. NTN formula blue seal bearings are what you need. all skid and rear idler bearings are 6004 2rs the carrier wheels are either 6205 or 6007 i believe.

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,840 Posts
At 2500 miles I would be going through every single bearing in the skid, clean and repack with grease, or replace. Don't forget the Drive shaft bearing and the Jack shaft bearing behind the secondary.

·
Registered
Coming soon 850 VR1 & 650 VR1
974 Posts

once again it has a pigtail potted into the sensor with connector on the end of the wire.

Polaris should be replacing them at no cost. We were in Quebec last year when a rider in our group had his fail. I had the trailside fix video on my phone so it wasn’t long before we were up and running still a pain in the ass that shouldn’t be happening.

·
Premium Member
6,305 Posts

2415756 I came up with 87.99 .

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Polaris should be replacing them at no cost. We were in Quebec last year when a rider in our group had his fail. I had the trailside fix video on my phone so it wasn’t long before we were up and running still a pain in the ass that shouldn’t be happening.
So this is a known problem but not an official recall? Seems crazy to have to purchase it myself if it has a high failure rate.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
So this is a known problem but not an official recall? Seems crazy to have to purchase it myself if it has a high failure rate.
Work with the dealer and let them know the previous owner told you he would get a cold engine error even through it was up to temperature. It should then be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
You guys are mixing up 2 things recalls vs service advisory’s. Recalls are for safety reasons and given public notice and owners are to be notified by law. Service advisory’s are internal to dealerships and are instructions to help them fix reacurring problems.

2 service advisory came out early last spring for 2020 models. 1 for replacement of temp wire/sensor with a new 1 piece replacement. Another was ecu update

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Shout out to Dean at Peak Velocity in Claremont, Ontario. Turned around by shock refresh in one day. Also super helpful and knowledgeable. He also rides a '20 XCR 850.

One of the tips he noted was that the white hyfax's seem to be denser than the black and seem to last longer. Anybody ever heard of this. Picked a set up, got my new bearings and some Amsoil grease for repacking the others and I am ready to get at it over the weekend.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts