Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just purchased a new to me but used 2020 Indy XCR 850. Excited for the coming winter. Great content here. Came from a 4s Yamaha (heavy) which I've passed on to my son and wife. Never owned a Polaris (light). Did a lot of research and this should be fun winter.

Seeing as this is a used machine I plan to tear it down and clean and inspect everything - clutches, bearings, hyfax, etc.

I plan the following:
  • ordered a windshield bag to install GPS (non-PIDD model) and USB connection for charging phone.
  • Clutching - alignment, roller bearing in secondary and it looks like 76g is the way to go to get RPM in 8100 range. Belly Busters good? I seem to be able to get those fairly inexpensively.
  • new hyfax
Anything major I may have missed? Shock package rebuild seemed to have come up. Is this an issue at 2500miles? Was it a warranty issue (I still have lots of that) or considered wear and tear? I don't have any leaking.

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm probably 230+ with equipment. Previous owner had already upgraded torsion spring. I'm a trail rider most of the time but I like speed. Coming off a turbo'd sled.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
147 Posts
Check the 850xc items to check thread.
specifically at those miles I’d pull the skid, pop some seals and grease all of the idler bearings. Same goes for the jack shaft and driveshaft bearings. Known weak point on these sleds.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Yes I was gonna recommend some springs. New belt (you have to stay on top of proper belt deflection on these). So new belt and then adjust it 100 miles later and then again 100 later. And the. Ck. Periodically. I wouldn’t buy any weights at all yet until you ride it. As you know all sleds are different. I’d see where your art first. Some need less. And some riders don’t want any added so it more forgiving on warm / soft / wet days. My personal sled only needed 2 grams per arm.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
If you have any issues with det. Or cold weather cold start flooding or just for whatever. You can have it flashed by dealer to the 21 mapping

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'll pull the skid when I'm doing hyfax.
Is the OEM belt the best to use? Or Gates, Ultimax. I saw posts reco'ing all.
Anyway to check sw version through the display? Not sure what version this is running.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I use lemon belts because they are pretty tough as far as not breaking. Are they the best for performance ? Not totally sure. I know I ran some gates on my 800 and the sizing of them varied to much imo. But it’s possible that has changed. If your gonna pull the skid anyway (which is easy ) I would have the shocks redone with better oil and to ensure proper nitrogen fill .

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I use lemon belts because they are pretty tough as far as not breaking. Are they the best for performance ? Not totally sure. I know I ran some gates on my 800 and the sizing of them varied to much imo. But it’s possible that has changed. If your gonna pull the skid anyway (which is easy ) I would have the shocks redone with better oil and to ensure proper nitrogen fill .
Also for the reason as the shocks are broken in now and need to change the oil. Which too many riders neglect to do.

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll look for a rebuild place in my area and get all the shocks done. I read a few discussions about this being necessary.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Yes also because I have been able to ride a handful of xcr. All same miles give or take a bit (basically all new sleds ) and none of them felt the same. I’m thinking quality control on shock assembly is questionable.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I agree sno mo racer clutches and shocks take a beating and ironically maintnace on both are neglected by owners I’ve seen sleds where the owner washes sled waxes the shit out of it polishes it all kinds of accessories and gadgets so clean you could eat off it at 5000 miles. Same people have shocks that are blown or just clapped out and clutches that filthy mouth it’s worn bushings and beat springs.

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol. Don't forget the $2k in gear they're wearing but their $100 sliders are toast.

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
Yes rebuild the shocks that will be on your dime as this is a maintenance item. I use Slp's adjustable weights and like the adjustable of them along with the roller bearing in the 2ndary
  • Change the chain case fluid
  • Remove the 2ndary and cover off the drive axle and pull bearing seals off of both bearing to make sure there acquitted grease.
  • Pull all the wheels out of the suspension replace/repack the bearings.
  • Check the A-arm bushings for for and aft movement. If you have play loosen the retainer rod bolts and slightly pry on them to remove the play
  • If your changing the slides take a propane torch and heat them and let them cool and couple times before you install them. This tempers them and they will last longer with loss wear after the first come rides.
  • Check carbides and make sure the skis are shims to even out the wear on the carbides.
  • Check to see if the sled has had the temp sensor jumper wire replaced. There may be an update for this as there was some trouble with them last year.
I know I missed a couple and I'm sure others on here will chime in with some good advise.

Welcome. It will be a different ride and style than your turbo but you will enjoy the sled

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all. Appreciate the insight. Lots of time to tear this thing down and get it ready to rock for the season. Looking forward to snow!

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If your gonna pull the skid anyway (which is easy ) I would have the shocks redone with better oil and to ensure proper nitrogen fill .
Is skid removal just collapse skid with ratchet strap, remove 4 bolts and pull out? Do you even need to lossen rear wheels?

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
There is an ECU reflash update for the 2020's. Service advisory SSA-20-02. I would get that installed. Also the biggest problem 2020s had was failure of the temp sensor/wire. There is an updated part out for it I would get that installed also to prevent possible failure. Does anyone have the part number for that?

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is an ECU reflash update for the 2020's. Service advisory SSA-20-02. I would get that installed. Also the biggest problem 2020s had was failure of the temp sensor/wire. There is an updated part out for it I would get that installed also to prevent possible failure. Does anyone have the part number for that?
Heading to dealer Friday to transfer extended warranty. I'll ask about these two items. I put the VIN through Polaris site and it didn't come up with any recalls but not sure how accurate that tool is.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts