Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK now that you have had a season (or most of). What are your likes or dislikes of EFI's? Would you buy another carb sled?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have an F7 EFI, calibration was terrible on low end bad throttle response, really rich on top.

On the goodside, always starts, great on Gas(although I think this has as much to do with the super slippery chasis and low rolling resistance, the Carb probably won't be radically different).

I'm afraid that if Cat screws it up again with '04's, their is almost nothing you can do to correct it. The bad throttle response really bugs me. It's a lot easier to correct a carb.

·
Registered
26 Posts
EFI is great! I will never go back to a carb sled. I am done changing jets when the weather get colder. No more greasese gas smelling hands on the trail. Just squeeze the throttle and go. No more Choke to worry about.

·
Registered
899 Posts
No way. I've had EFI in the past and carb and with my current re-visit to EFI, I forgot how forgiving and low maintenance it was. Starts with ease every single time and no worries about re-jetting when conditions change and have to worry about burning the sled down.

I will never willingly go back to carb from EFI. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
My first efi was a 93 ext, after that I bought a 96 ZRT, and I missed my efi so much that I swore I would never go back to carb. Batteryless just makes in a no-brainer IMHO.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
EFI is great. Nice having instant throttle response. Nice to know that it will start up without out having to get in a workout in the process. Nice not having to play with jetting according to the weather.

·
Registered
173 Posts
well put guys, definetly is less hastle isn't it, this is my first EFI and I have no complaints, plus I still have approx. 14 weeks of riding left, so far I've only got 560 miles

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Originally posted by morrisond@Mar 21 2003, 08:03 AM
I have an F7 EFI, calibration was terrible on low end bad throttle response, really rich on top.

On the goodside, always starts, great on Gas(although I think this has as much to do with the super slippery chasis and low rolling resistance, the Carb probably won't be radically different).

I'm afraid that if Cat screws it up again with '04's, their is almost nothing you can do to correct it. The bad throttle response really bugs me. It's a lot easier to correct a carb.
Just wondering if you had your ecu updated? Mine was nothing like what you describe.

·
Registered
156 Posts
no real preference either way-efi was nice except when it got down to -20 or colder i had to pull it about 20 times to charge the fuel rail-it would not turn fast enough to charge the fuel pump-there was some problem with the smart valves but once i changed my way of adding iso. in the morning instead of the night before that problem went away (thanks rob for the advice on that one)-never really had any problems with carbs either-choke it-pull it-it started-not too hard to understand-always jetted a little on the safe side so never had to change jets much after that even if the weather changed-carbs are more tuneable if you are looking for all you can get from a motor-reliability is probably the same for both fuel systems-about the -20 starting-when it gets that cold i shut my sled off with the choke on the final shut down for the day-give it a good dose of fuel-usually starts on the first or second pull-this really worked good on my t-cat which pulled over like a brick s#%t house cold

·
Registered
780 Posts
My EFI always sounded like it wasn't getting enough gas when you were punching it from a dead start, it would stutter then go. EFI has never been updated. Low end throttle response wasn't that great in trail either. I rode my buddies 02 Zr800 EFI and throttle response was significantly better, I just hope CAT gets it right for '04.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you like rolling up the miles, EFI is really easy on the THUMB. Perhaps worth the price of admission just for that!

BobCat

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
EFI ALL THE WAY! Love it and couldn't go back! Well, until they have self adjusting carbs! :lol:

·
Registered
81 Posts
had 99 zr 600efi le, 01 zr 800 le, and now 03 f-7efi sp, efi's all perfect so far
!!!!! 800 carb either idled to high or to low. love efi cant believe more sleds
are not? my f-7 seems perfect on accel. at any rpm or temp.

·
Registered
155 Posts
This is my 2nd efi (1st was '02ZR800cc0 and I would never go back to carbs for all the reasons stated on the previous posts. Unless you like to tinker with the engine (why would you want more hp?), than go with the efi. :wub:

S

·
0 Posts
First time with an efi and I loved this sled. Starts on second pull all the time, great engine response and wickedly fast. If the ecu could be remapped to lean out top end this thing would be a rocket. I already have radared 122 mph on ice in about 3000 feet so it goes but just imagine.

I do however have concerns about the costs of electronic components when failure occurs after warranty - i.e. - ecu
$ 1900.00 cdn. I just found this out and it is swaying me to a carb. This along with the abiltiy to get more out of this sled intriges me. I would love to have a F800 efi but anticipated costs make no sense. I also know some dealers who do not even want to sell efi let alone work on them.

I will keep mine if AC provides a full second year warranty. This would be nice to know before early buy but I feel AC will not do this so sales will keep up. I bought mine in Feb. so I have most of next season anyway.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I have always been carbs all the way. That is until this year when the F-7 forced me to try the EFI. I absolutely love it !!! I will never go back. Expecially the batteryless EFI.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Love EFI.

I've owned a '94 550 EFI - great sled :)
I own a '98 500 carb, '99 500 carb - no complainst but adjustments are necessary from time to time and too heavy on the thumb.
I own an '03 F7 EFI and it is great. The response is fantastic and no adjustments. :) :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts