Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got tired of waiting for snow here in central MN, so I trailered the F7 up to my buds place in the UP this week. We found some pretty good riding around the Paradise, Grand Marias, Newberry area. We took off from Newberry Tuesday morning, the trail was REAL rough to start, but the sled handled it even better than I had hoped. About 10 miles in, the trail turned real nice, slightly icy underneath, but smooth and fast. I told myself to take it easy until I had some seat time on the thing, but I just couldn't resist! After several miles, I had a huge grin, until the sled caught something mid-way through a corner, and tipped up so fast it nearly threw me right off! At the next trail-side stop, I tipped it up and removed nearly all the preload from the middle shock and added a little to the front, which seemed to cure the tipping problem. Power was smooth and consistent, with incredible throttle response! I could pull on my buds 02 MXZ 7 every time, which seemed to baffle him. :) Day number 2, we found some nice higher speed stuff, and it was after a short burst to 90+ that the sled shut right off. After it stopped, I pulled the rope, and it started right up, so I took off, only to have it stumble again. As it was cutting out, I flipped to ethanol mode, and it came back to life. I later switched back to regular, and it continued to run fine until we came to some big whoops. Being more comfortable with the sled than before, I hit them somewhat hard, jumping from one to the other, but the sled began to stutter and backfire. I let off, and it ran fine again. From that point on, I found that nearly every stretch of rough stuff would result in the sled either cutting out, backfiring or stalling, if I ran it hard. What gives? My sled is outside the VIN for the smart valve update, so theoretically it should not be them, right? All in all I love the sled. The power and agility are just plain awesome, but what's with the problem in the bumps? <_<

-bullwhip

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by F7_Ditch_Jumper@Jan 10 2003, 08:59 PM
You can not change the fuel switch @ rps more than 5k from what ive heard.
That is what I have read also. (you can flip the switch above 5k, however it will not take effect until the r's drop below the 5k mark) When my sled was stalling, the tach showed just over 4500 when I flipped the switch, then it took right off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
:wacko: the fuel switch should be in the ethanol mode with fuel that contains mbte fuel withooout mbte should be in regular mode.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Originally posted by Bullwhip@Jan 10 2003, 07:42 PM
My sled is outside the VIN for the smart valve update, so theoretically it should not be them, right?
Bullwhip,

I though dang near ALL F7's were pretty much in that VIN. My sled was built on Oct. 29th and was still in the VIN range by 4000 units....(last six of my VIN#: 181XXX) What are the last 6 digits of your VIN?
-John

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My VIN is 185XXX, I don't recall the cut off for the smart valve update, but I remember checking, and finding that it is outside the numbers that require the update. As far as breaking it in with the switch in the ethanol mode, I ran the first 120 miles in the ethanol mode, then switched. I don't think the thing should stall in the rough stuff regardless of the setting, do you??? ;)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Originally posted by Bullwhip@Jan 10 2003, 09:55 PM
My VIN is 185XXX, I don't recall the cut off for the smart valve update, but I remember checking, and finding that it is outside the numbers that require the update.
Bullwhip,

Your VIN must be after 185105(VIN cut-off)? Wow, you must have got the last F7 built almost :D . When did your sled get delivered to your dealer/you?
-John

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by JLeosnow@Jan 10 2003, 11:10 PM
Your VIN must be after 185105(VIN cut-off)?  Wow, you must have got the last F7 built almost :D .  When did your sled get delivered to your dealer/you?
-John
I picked the sled up the day after Thanksgiving. It was delivered to the dealer only a few days prior.

So what's up with the stalling/cutting out??? Is anyone else having the same trouble? :blink:

-bullwhip

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe your stutter problem is in the throttle safety switch. With it clearing up after switching the fuel switch is mearly a coincidence. I dont have an F-7 but I have owned more cats than I care to count,and have had this problem a number of times. If you are pushing down(toward your feet) on the flipper it sometimes gets worse, just unplug the safety switch and check it out.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
mine didn't need smart (dumb really dumb) valve update. Mine was built on 11/02. I think i got the last one off the line.

·
Registered
582 Posts
JLeosnow , don't know if you remember me but we talked back when we both bought our Sxr's "hyfax wear" and I was just wonder in how you like the FC compared to the Sxr , I'm going to snow check something this yr and the FC is on the list

1 - 13 of 13 Posts