Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Simply Put, The F7 Hauls ASS!!.

There wasn't a sled in the group this weekend that could hang with it in a straight drag race, but the trails were different.

List of victims include;

01 Edge X 700, 00 Formula III 700 Tripple, 98 XC 700 (Hopped Up) and a 00 ZR 800 LE.

I did feel the wrath of the ZR 900 twin. He pulled me 1 1/2 sled lengths from the gate and I couldn't catch him. He got me two different times with the same results! He was studded, mine bone stock with a lot of oil in the tank.

Very Dissapointed with the F7's tendency to tip while cornering. It takes everything you got to keep the ski's from lifting.

Need to figure this one out! It's a fast sled going straight, but a trail demon??? NOT HARDLY! :angry:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have to disagree with this. I think set up is everything. I have to admit, I think my F7 handles every bit as good as my ZR8 did, my zrt8, and and zrt6, in fact I think it handled better. Just get the set up and she rocks!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Firechicken, do you have the sno-pro or the standard suspension? The springs on the front end of the standards are MUCH softer than the sno-pro front end springs. You might want to try experimenting with tightening the front springs 1/4" at a time to see if that helps to alleviate the tippiness you're experiencing, especially if you've got the standard suspension. I've got the standard, but haven't gotten around to trying this yet. -- Roy

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Sno-Pro package. I did loosen the front springs to soften it up a little, which is a whole other issue. "You Can't Use The Whole Shock." The springs aren't long enough!

After softening the front, it was still tippy.

I am going to tighten the front limiter strap and move the blocks back to hopefully keep the front end down a little in the corners. Sled likes to wheelie a lot.

I'll let everyone know how this works. Hopefully studs will help also.

Hey, this is my first Cat. I'm a Polaris die-hard. Seriously, this Cat will not hang with the XC 700's in the trail unless some work is done to keep this thing on the ground.

LOL

·
Registered
861 Posts
just my 2 cents,

Coupling blocks on 2, helped keep skis planted. 6 inch Woodys Carbides, helped skis to carve. Scooting up on the turns and laying it out like a human outrigger and carving like on rails................................Priceless.

Kevin

·
Registered
861 Posts
In all seriousness though, I found that running the coupling block on 2 vs. 1 made a big difference in the trail riding. I like doing wheelies like the next guy, but for taking the bumps and carving the turns on the trails, the #2 coupling position really helped give a more positive down force to the front end.
By shifting forward and out in rider position, my F7 carves better than my ZR, although mine is getting studs as well now, as the back end is waaaaayyyyyyy to loose.

Kevin

·
Registered
252 Posts
Captainkev are you riding a standard with a 1" track? Hopefully picking up my F7 black, standard/standard this week. Trying to decide whether to stud or upgrade to the sno pro track. Don't like how my old sled used to kick out, could be unsafe at times.

Thanks,
catfish

·
Registered
394 Posts
It's hard to believe some people think it handles as good or better than a ZR!
Hell my wife and kids could rail a zr.
The F-7 can be ridden just as hard, but in the tight corners it's a little unnerving untill you get used to it!
ANYONE could corner wicked fast on a ZR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Another thing is with the 7, it is decieving how fast you are coming into the corners, like mach 2. We have to remeber we are riding a 140 hp. sled

·
Registered
861 Posts
Catfish,

Mine is the F7 SnoPro with the longer lug track. It is really loose on the hard pack and ice in the back end. After having the back end ahead of the front on hard left turn on ice, the studs are going on.
I rode Friday with another member of this site, and his Standard F7 ran great for him. He has 144 Studs and definitly had more control than I did on the ice and hard pack.

Kevin

·
Registered
861 Posts
Catfish,

Just read your post again, my thoughts were also that the SnoPro track would hook up better, thus eliminate the need for studs. On powder and loose pack, it hooks up like a monster, roosting any victim unlucky enough to be behind you. But on the hard pack and ice, the longer lug actually sits enough higher that is slips more than my .75 lug on my 2000 ZR 600.

Kevin

·
Registered
152 Posts
First ride on Sunday, 65 miles and all I can do is smile. the first few high speed corners were a little scary. You have to ride the F7 (not like my ZR), but by mile 40 or 50 what a blast. Body english is key and from what I can see is a must. I have not played with set up at all, running the stock setup. I would like to see more front end on the ground in the faster corners with a little less effort. I may try more ski pressure but don't want to take away from the top end, this thing rocks. Any suggestions? Maybe more carbide and leave the ski pressure alone?? Only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also experience going around a sharp lefty (road) and having the ass go around first. VERY SCARY! I ended up in the road and the sled in the junket! Luckily it was all brush, no scratches either. WHEW! CLOSE ONE ALREADY!

BE CAREFUL ON THE SNOW PROS WHILE ON HARD PACKED ROADS WITHOUT STUDS!!!!!!!!

I was leaning into the turn, riding forward on the tank, and with a blip of the throttle while into the turn, the ass end slung shot around me. I was thinking a 360 was my best option, until it started tipping over into the spin out. I countersteered bringing the front down but the violent whip that was caused as a result, launched me from the sled! It went into the junket with me on my back. I was SMILING! :)

Thanks for the posts. I will make adjustments to the blocks and tighten up the limiter a little and see what happens. I feel the studs will help also.

lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
BE PATIENT GUYS IT TAKES SOME GETTING USED TO.I AM VERY EXPERIENCED RIDER AND I GOT BEHIND 2 ZR8S ON WIDE WOODED TRAIL SPEEDS ABOUT 60 MPH I HAD A VERY HARD TIME KEEPING UP AT FIRST THEY WOULD JUST SIT THERE AND CARVE AND I SEEMED TO BE WORKING MY BUT OFF BUTT AFTER ABOUT 5 MILES OF THIS I STARTED TO GET MORE COMFORTABLEAND STARTED TO REEL THEM IN AND AFTER A WHILE I WAS RIGHT ON THERE BUTTS AND PUSHING THEM IT IS DIFFERENT BUT ONCE YOU HIT COMFORT ZONE IT WORKS GOOD.ALSO SUSPENSION IS AWSOME IN ROUGH STUFF BUDDY ON XC7 WAS ALL BEAT UP AFTER 220 MILE RIDE I WAS READY FOR MORE SLED SEEMS TO UP THE BUMPS THE HARDER YOU RIDE THE BETTER IT FEELS.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tried the shock pre-load. Does help, but not as much as you might think!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts