Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to hougton Michigan from thursday to sunday. This was the first ride of the season on the new f7.

Day One

Heading up 51 I cant believe how fast these guys with sled trailers drive. I was doing 85 and was being past by guys doing 95-100. Then heading past bruce's crossing some 6.0L Yukon pulling a 4 place enclosed blew the doors off me. I stayed with him and got up to some 1 mile long huge hill. He couldnt keep his speed up. I started to pass him, he saw me and put it to the floor and only gained 5mph. I put it to the floor and the silverado kicked his ass. I soon was doing 95 up the hill in 3rd and it was still had more to go. I love the 8.1Liter w/ the 5 speeed alison. I never had a truck pull so nicely.

Got there around 2 pm and started unloading the sleds. I started mine up on the second pull. Then i went to lower the ramp on the trailer to drive it off, and the f7 died. Pulled the rope 30 times and it still wouldn't start. Went to go check out the plugs and found out that its a bitch to change them. the factory installed the plugs way to tight. the stupid taiwan sparkplug wrench would fit in there good and it wouldnt get them unstuck. Well i found a ratchet with an extension and that took the plugs out and i discovered i fowled only one plug. im surprised it wont start on one plug. Well we start from houghton and head south to mass city. The trails in town were very bumpy as they always are. The trails had plenty of snow on them until you hit mass city. The trails had very loose snow on them. Darting was uncontrollable on the sled. It was so bad, it would follow the guy in front of me perfectly even in 90 degree turns. The trails had some bad areas with bumps coming home. When i got back i noticed that the tool kit bag had opened on its own in the trunk and the tool were all over the place. I had 4 plugs that unwrapped themselves out of the box and were bent. I had a crapsmen sparkplug gapper that the ribets had pulled out and the gappers were all over the place. Most of them i lost underneath the seat. I also had a mag light that came apart. Dont put any thing in the trunk that can come apart.

Day two

In the morning i loosened the front springs on the f7. That made a HUGE difference. The fcat wouldnt dart nearly as bad as it did before. We went from hougton upto copperharbor. The trails were really bumby couldnt get up over 60. I stayed up with some poos and zrs for 10 miles to find my dad no where in sight. I guess that pantera just doesn't handle bumps as well. I found myself standing up about 75 % of the time. this sled is way better to stand up on than my old zr. The skinnier seat, the wider running boards, and the flat type grip plates really helped. Once we got up to copper harbor area the trails got a lot smoother but twistier. There were several open water crossings that were 6" deep that made a muddy mess. I feel bad for the poo guy that got soaked when i passed him. On trail 314 there were 3 accidents. It looked like all poos in the trees. Please slow down in the turns. Channel 6 news was out there too covering the accidents. on the way back to houton we decided to take the western route through calumet. The trails in calument were smooth but had one bad area with dirt showing through. I decided to head east to chassel when we got back. The trail to chasell starts off really misledaing. It started off as being 30 feet wide and smooth too 4ft wide and bear through the woods.

Day 3
we went back south to tivoli. The trail was still fairly smooth. we then went north to calumet again and they were fairly smooth comapred to day 2. Snow through hancock was melting bad in town. alot of pavement was showing in the trials. We then headed home early on day 4 because we found out there was a death in the family.

Conclusion

Accesories--Grip plates-temp gauge-trunk bag
I installed flat running board grip plates and they are will worth the money. I also intalled a temp gauge and it worked nicely. I noticed under average conditions it held 125-140 degrees. I looser snow it went down to 105. In the bare, low snow conditions it went upto 165. I had the sensor installed in the "warm side" of the cooling system. I also installed a trunk bag. The bag worked out really nice. I pug one gallon of oil in it and a 50 foot tow rope in the main compartment. the oil never leaked. I put a map in the compartment on the bottom of the opeining flap. The map fit perfect and was easy to get to.

Sled--Standard Black F7
Loosen the front springs, it makes a huge handeling differnece. It railed around corners. Lots of pull of the line. The one inch track doesn't hook up good in loose snow but that was expected. The rears suspension handels trail bumps awasome. I only bottomed it out twice fooling around, it felt like it hit the drive sprockets. As for top end, i never saw it the trails were too bumpy, i only got 85 out of it.

Chevy 8.1 liter well ,can u say torque?

Hope you get some nice ride time in and Please slow down i would hate to see an f7 in the trees.

Have a nice new year and pray for snow.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention i put on 350 miles on this trip. no problems with any thing yet. The dealer just called me and want me to bring the sled back for updates tomorrow.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thanks for the updates, sounds like the firecat got a real workout. those conditions were what she was built for. I head to houghton jan 12-16, hope the trails are a little better than what you experienced.. B)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i went on the trail from houton that heads south to mass city last year. It was the best ride of the season. I did 100+ WOT between stop signs it was so smooth but this year.... There was just too much traffic for the groomer. BTW. I stayed @ the Bestwestern Franklin Square. Dont stay @ Kings inn (best western) its an older place NO PARKING. The Square had plenty of parking and easy access to the trail and a nice resturant. The ramada inn is also right on the trail in Hancock that place looks newer.

Hope u have a good time.

·
Registered
516 Posts
What the hell's the matter with you ppl drivin like that in vehicles with trailers on side by side roads, F#@king idiots? Did momma leave yer pacifier in yer mouth too long!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
We will be staying at the best western franklin square, It is going to be a last minute decision, If the snow conditions haven't improved by Thursday January 9th , the group I am going with wants to cancell. I am used to ditch banging so some rough trails don't bother me too much, I am hoping for some nice long rides racking up some miles on good trails..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts