Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were there any 1993 Thundercats delivered to customers with the windshield on the handlebars?
Or did they only exist in the brochures and commercials?

·
Registered
Edge Fuji 800 Triple Star
706 Posts
Right up there with some of the ugliest IMO

·
Registered
Edge Fuji 800 Triple Star
706 Posts
Let’s not forget about those 3 cylinders, would never own a cat but I respect that they were competitive.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Had 2 - 94 Panteras with the windshield, gages, and mirrors on the handlebars. Wish my new sleds had wind protection as good as those old Cats.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Had new one in 93. Great sled and fun to ride, swapped mine to the Purple & Green decals looked much better in my opinion. Slut to pull over when real cold but didn’t take much of a pull and it would come to life. The sound was fantastic and mine was very reliable only issue was it blowing antifreeze out the reservoir so I carried premix to top it up if needed.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I had the 1992 Wildcat that had the windshield on the bars. Cat made a kit to put it back on the cowl, which I did. That was a great sled. Something about the design of the bodywork/belly pan made that style of sled awesome in the powder. Probably the same reason why the front end would "float" at high speeds.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Rumors were rampant for atleast 3 seasons before they released it in 93...Made the trek from Chicago to Oconomowoc,Wi in March 1992 for the official unvailing...Very disapointed in the graphics...BUT...The 900 triple/triple was a world class motor...The only thing better was our ARSC 975/1050 custom triple with n2o...Close to 350hp...
img018.jpg

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rumors were rampant for atleast 3 seasons before they released it in 93...Made the trek from Chicago to Oconomowoc,Wi in March 1992 for the official unvailing...Very disapointed in the graphics...BUT...The 900 triple/triple was a world class motor...The only thing better was our ARSC 975/1050 custom triple with n2o...Close to 350hp... View attachment 2120576
Looks like you had heads with "975" on them, cool! Because these engines was built from 3 Wildcat 650 cylinders wasn't they?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Looks like you had heads with "975" on them, cool! Because these engines was built from 3 Wildcat 650 cylinders wasn't they?
That pic is from the 89/90 season (650 motor)...The 700 juggs/heads were added during the 91/92 season...Those heads had the "700" on them...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up a 93 a few weeks ago. It has 94 decals but i will be going back to stock colors to match my 93 back in the day. Going to do a light resto and go thru things on the motor like water pump seals etc. I bought a 93 in 94. Traded my new 93 wildcat 700 in on one. That 93 Tcat was a rocketship for its time. My brother bought a Mach z new in 94 and let’s just say it saw the Tcat taillights all season long. Also as to the front end getting light at high speed was no joke. I remember racing down a road and hitting
a little rise and the sleds front up started coming up at triple digits and floating. Kinda unsettling but fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I turbocharged the first 93 T-Cat in the world. Made 217 hp on Bob Quigley's dyno. Still have a kit for those.
Ah yes, Bob Quigley. Loved his custom made 4 cylinder motors, and his 6 weight clutches. (if I remember correctly). M59 Sports, i think was his shop.
PI, did you take that T-Cat out to DTR? Regarding the windshield, I think there was an early release '92 1/2 TCat with the handlebar windshield.- again, I question my memory.

·
Premium Member
18,487 Posts
Ah yes, Bob Quigley. Loved his custom made 4 cylinder motors, and his 6 weight clutches. (if I remember correctly). M59 Sports, i think was his shop.
PI, did you take that T-Cat out to DTR? Regarding the windshield, I think there was an early release '92 1/2 TCat with the handlebar windshield.- again, I question my memory.
No Dave, I didn't take It to DTR. At that time they were stating that you can't turbocharge a full reed cage 2-stroke. LOL!

Nobody told me, so I just did it. In fact I built many T-Cats, Storms and other large case reed 2-strokes.

They found out later that the small series 53 turbo they were trying to use was much too restrictive on the exhaust side. When the much larger series 66 finally came out, the 800 Storms made 300 hp at 16 psi boost on race fuel, The T-Cat 1000 made 350. Then, they all went out of business. To this day, I never use a too small turbo to get quick boost response. I still use the older but bigger Aerocharger model 60 on most setups, but parts are no longer available.

The last big case reed Cat I turboed was a 2002 ZR 800 EFI Cross Country Edition belonging to my riding buddy. I used a Subaru WRX 350 hp ball bearing turbo. It was very impressive at 15 psi boost. C-Note from HCS stopped over and inspected it. He was impressed.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
PI, was the 94 [?] Vmax 600 one of your turbo projects? I remember reading about that sled at Jim's. Would NOT make the expected Hp,, like 140 Hp,, and no knock or any hint of misfire. Traced it down to old fuel, and went out out and got fresh and it made around 200. Always a highlight of the day when the new DTR showed up in the mail.

·
Premium Member
18,487 Posts
PI, was the 94 [?] Vmax 600 one of your turbo projects? I remember reading about that sled at Jim's. Would NOT make the expected Hp,, like 140 Hp,, and no knock or any hint of misfire. Traced it down to old fuel, and went out out and got fresh and it made around 200. Always a highlight of the day when the new DTR showed up in the mail.
No Dave. But, I was a dealer for all of 1st Choice's turbo kits and had a kit for that sled that I could never sell. I finally installed it in a 1998 Polaris 500. Still have the custom exhaust pipe designed for that kit.

One of my customers from Milan, MI had one though, but we never turboed it. Instead, we installed Boswell Moded TMX flatslide carbs. I eventually removed them when he sold the sled and still have the entire setup. Really woke the sled up. This same customer still owns the 92 VMax4 I turboed for him. He loves Yamaha sleds.

As for stale fuel, it is a bigger problem than many realize. Stale fuel will not vaporize and properly burn. It also causes lean A/F ratio that doesn't show up on EGT or BSFC readings. I use the Fitch Fuel Catalyst to deal with that problem in all my sleds.

I made the mistake of using VP C-15 race fuel in my 93 Storm turbo sled. It ran fine on fresh 93 ethanol pump fuel. But my drag race buddy talked me into using it. Engine seized on first pass. We called VP and were told never to use any fuel in the winter that has low volatility. C-16 is the worst and that's used when combining C-14 with it to create C-15. :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts