Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a standard green F7 standard last Monday. Dealer lied to me about the updates. Thank god for this site & the endless amount of info posted here. I called A/C & asked if I could go to another dealer...I did & got the updates done. Unfortunately I had to run around like a mad man bringing my sled back in for the updates. The important thing to me was getting the oil pump done...I still question if the other updates were done....how can I find out? Anyway I went up to Northern NH to put the first miles on the sled. Ran premix in the first tank of gas. Ran various grades of octane from 87 to 93 all with Isopropyl....left the switch in ethanol position entire trip...from the dealers strict recommendation. Rode with 10 other sleds all yamaha, polaris, & ski-doo.

I caught heck from everyone else because I had to put a screen kit & better carbides on a brand new sled. Also caught heck because the fit and finish of the hood. Also the pipe was peeling & rusting. Sled ran good...no major problems. Had a tough time keeping the front end down in the corners. Adjusted the front springs & ended up loosing both upper spring retainers...wish I had known that there is a limit on how low the springs can go. Took it easy the first 200 miles...varied the throttle a lot. After 300 miles I held the throttle wide open on a few straight sections...struggled to get 90 mph!!! I was dissapointed with the top end speed. Conditions were ideal -10 to +10...hard pack groomed trails. My last sled was a 99 zr600 efi with D&D pipe chip clutch kit combo & that had much more top end & power from bottom to top. Amazed at the light feeling of the F7....sled felt tippy at first and at the start of each ride...but within a few minutes I got used to it.

One thing that I really disliked was the ice build up on the running boards...talk about a design flaw. I had tons of water coming from the top of the tunnel drooling out as ice from underneath my seat. Is that warrantied? The sled performed very well in the bumps in fact the faster I went the better it seemed to perform.

I bought the sled because I had heard it was unbelievably fast in all aspects & great on the trails. Im very dissapointed with the top end on this thing. It is snappy from 0 - 60 but I figured it would pull hard right up through 100. I struggled to get 90 out of it & that isnt right. Sled was good on gas about 14-16 mpg...went through about 3/4 gallon of Arctic Cat synthetic oil. Any recommendations on why I can't get more top end out of this thing? I was told that my throttle cable could need adjustment...how can I tell &is that an easy adjustment? Also I was told that it could be the powervalves...how can I tell & is that an easy adjustment? I bought this sled knowing fully that it could be a lemon...I just hope that A/C will help me get this sled to the level it should be at. I think that A/C should fix the tunnel ice up problem, replace my muffler, & do whatever they can to get this sled to run faster that 90 mph! The question is will they? One thing is for sure that I really appreciate this site & all the helpful people sharing info. I would appreciate any feedback regarding my lack of top end. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thats odd. about the speed My F7 standard went over 100 from day one with out any updates. Took it in had the updates done and it still does the same. Its bone stock. I never took it easy and broke it in just went with the pre mix and ran it. I do use Bule Marble Oil and I love it. They say it will make it perfrom better but it takes 400 miles or so to impregnate the cylimders. Seems like you need to take it back and have it looked at. Im at 1100 miles now and still running great.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
It's easy to check the powervalves and cables,if your atleast somewhat mechanical.This picture isn't the F7 but the servo motor is the same.Its located in front of the gastank next to the steering post,on the left side if your sitting on the sled.Pull off the black cover and check to see that the cables are still in the slot,and not slacked up and off to the side.The F7's generally havn't had a problem with them falling off,but its easy to check anyhow

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,042 Posts
Did you take any shims out of the rear (secondary) clutch yet. Belt tension is a major factor in speed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Take a shim out of the secondary, flip the ethonol switch back to regular mode, gear up to 23-40 and tighten your secondary one more hole. Only run 87 octane fuel, losen your track (alot) as they are quite tight from factory and hold on! I guarantee an increase of 8 mile/hr on top end.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How involved is taking a shim out of the secondary? Will it affect the overall performance? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We need to know what rpm you were running at when you held wot. and did it hold or rev and drop slowly climb etc, before you start adding and subtracting things.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The belt deflection on a stock F7 is way to much. Just pull your secondary off. The sheeves come apart and take a shim out. This will cure your belt slippage. Also do the other adjustments I suggested. At the end of the day, your RPM's at WOT should be no less than 7800 if you wish to excellerate past 95miles/hr.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts