Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
I was under the impression 22 xcr was to come with 8" carbides, interesting to find out if the skimped on that as they have on the handlebar risers.
Thanks for the thoughtful report!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
We've seen pics on this site of '22 XCR's delivered with 8", unless they ran out they come with 8" from woody's. I have some 7.5" shapers I got in August when I thought there may be shortages and also thought my sled would be here in Nov. I was wrong again!

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,474 Posts
Some but not in optimal conditions. I can say it has a slightly lighter steering feel than I remember on my 2014 XRS 800 but it really comes down to how you set them up. I am actually trying to get more ski pressure out of this and heavier steering so that it does not push while riding aggressively.

I will say that my Axys blew away my skidoo XS and that the Matryx blows away my Axys in terms of ergonomics and overall ride quality so you will not regret the switch!
Are the trails hard packed that you rode on? ICY? Maybe all those studs are biting your ass? I've over studded a few times and hated the push factor.

EDIT: Should have kept reading to see that others assumed the same as I was thinking. Someone else also added a good suggestion. Pro-Steers Suck and push.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
tug hill had an icy base with powder on it . that doesn't help with pushing. when my studs hooked up in the ice i felt my fingers getting longer , but in the corners the studs were battling the carbides and skis. most corners were effortless , but some had the right combo of snow and ice and i pushed a little. get a little out and forward and it's no issue. once the snow stiffens up it ill be much better. i was just happy to ride. been staring at my sled since march when i bought it

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Is 162 studs to much for a 136" with 165HP? what are our options? 108, 135, 162, 198, 108 and 198 seem to little and to much, 135 is debatable with the HP, 162 seems like the proper amount for HP, with 8" of carbide and suspension dialed in, there's always going to be some handling issue with whatever the current conditions are. I'm planning on doing 162 down the middle, but if it's to many, I'm all ears. Spoke with the head tech at Woody's over the summer and he suggested 162 with round backers.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I'm doing 162 when it gets here, always 3 per row up the center, doubles and singles for me. Did 108 in my dad's 650, all doubles. Its important to have good runners. In high traffic areas like old forge and tug hill, the inside corners get dusted off often, and I don't want to be that guy that ends up on the wrong side if the trail haha. Back to my point, studding up the center, 162 vs 108. You are probably talking maybe 20 more studs actually on the ground. Effect is there, but not ground breaking. Studding on the outside has a more profound effect, imo of course.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Is 162 studs to much for a 136" with 165HP? what are our options? 108, 135, 162, 198, 108 and 198 seem to little and to much, 135 is debatable with the HP, 162 seems like the proper amount for HP, with 8" of carbide and suspension dialed in, there's always going to be some handling issue with whatever the current conditions are. I'm planning on doing 162 down the middle, but if it's to many, I'm all ears. Spoke with the head tech at Woody's over the summer and he suggested 162 with round backers.
Don't jump the gun and think I'm telling anybody there set up is wrong when it comes to studs. "EVERYBODY LIKES DIFFERENT THINGS" and that's all there is to it. I'm sure a lot of people went out and bought XCR's and have at least a little ego over it. Many people can't go light studding and get spanked in the straight line races over and over. "I GET THAT 100%"
Studs are traction and the more you ad the less likely you will get spanked often. So go ahead and stud away shooting for the set up you feel you need that makes you happy.

I was only offering information from my own experiences of trying to help the OP with his PUSH concerns. I know when I was trail racing and competition was a big thing for me, I over studded a few times and in certain conditions I absolutely hated the push it delivered on trail. 9" shapers and aggressive C&A skis did nothing for taming it when the conditions were hard pack and icy. She'd RIP an impressive straight line and stretch my fingers like a mother fucker but wasn't any fun to trail ride in these certain trail conditions. I'm a lighter studding kind of guy today because I enjoy a good trail riding sled. Losing those straight line races on hardpack doesn't hurt my feelings one bit. I guess I'm just a little older now and the competition race game is leaving me. I prefer a sled that handles trail riding best in all conditions not some conditions. 162 of the 1.575's in a 137" track is more than I like for the reasons I've stated. Not telling anybody here that it's a bad set up. It's just a bad set up for me and my likings. To each is own. "PEACE"

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't think the pro steer skis have enough bite for that much traction. The host bar is too short. C&A host bar is about 5" longer.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I don't think the pro steer skis have enough bite for that much traction. The host bar is too short. C&A host bar is about 5" longer.
I 100% agree with you but for the people that live for the straight line run the Pro-Steer skis work as good as any.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Don't jump the gun and think I'm telling anybody there set up is wrong when it comes to studs. "EVERYBODY LIKES DIFFERENT THINGS" and that's all there is to it. I'm sure a lot of people went out and bought XCR's and have at least a little ego over it. Many people can't go light studding and get spanked in the straight line races over and over. "I GET THAT 100%"
Studs are traction and the more you ad the less likely you will get spanked often. So go ahead and stud away shooting for the set up you feel you need that makes you happy.

I was only offering information from my own experiences of trying to help the OP with his PUSH concerns. I know when I was trail racing and competition was a big thing for me, I over studded a few times and in certain conditions I absolutely hated the push it delivered on trail. 9" shapers and aggressive C&A skis did nothing for taming it when the conditions were hard pack and icy. She'd RIP an impressive straight line and stretch my fingers like a mother fucker but wasn't any fun to trail ride in these certain trail conditions. I'm a lighter studding kind of guy today because I enjoy a good trail riding sled. Losing those straight line races on hardpack doesn't hurt my feelings one bit. I guess I'm just a little older now and the competition race game is leaving me. I prefer a sled that handles trail riding best in all conditions not some conditions. 162 of the 1.575's in a 137" track is more than I like for the reasons I've stated. Not telling anybody here that it's a bad set up. It's just a bad set up for me and my likings. To each is own. "PEACE"
I'm not jumping the gun at all, was just asking a honest question, no worries my friend, was just wondering if people are thinking 162 is to many, my thinking is less chance of a tear out with 162 vs. less, I'm not a fan of the added rotating mass but hard to get around that. I forgot to mention I'm putting in 1.450 gold diggers. I put 96 1.575's with double backers in a storm 150 track last yr on a Doo 1200 and there was a slight vibration at around 50 mph that annoyed me, was gone by 60mph, and was told it was from the double backers, so going with singles this time around.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I'm not jumping the gun at all, was just asking a honest question, no worries my friend, was just wondering if people are thinking 162 is to many, my thinking is less chance of a tear out with 162 vs. less, I'm not a fan of the added rotating mass but hard to get around that. I forgot to mention I'm putting in 1.450 gold diggers. I put 96 1.575's with double backers in a storm 150 track last yr on a Doo 1200 and there was a slight vibration at around 50 mph that annoyed me, was gone by 60mph, and was told it was from the double backers, so going with singles this time around.
Hmmm, that's interesting, not sure why that would matter, maybe the vibration created by the backer going over the wheels? That's interesting. I use the ole "v" pattern so my backers certainly run over the wheels, but never noticed a vibration.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I could feel it on the side of the tunnel in my boots, was minor but I notice these things. still liked the 96 studs in the storm 150, went well.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Haha, Im with ya, I hate it when Ice freezes in there and you can feel it on the insides of my ankles against the tunnel when they rub. Makes my toe nails curl😁

·
Registered
2021 Matryx 850 Vr1 137
2,330 Posts
Leave center shock alone, add preload to front IFS springs, leave your rear torsion springs where they are and try it.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
In defense, I like to ride the sleds first establish a baseline before shimming. No doubt it something that should be done, just like to have something to start with to verify. I found myself years ago doing a ton of things as soon as the sled hit the garage, and then I really had no comparison haha.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts