Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Polaris Indy XCR 850 136
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who care.... So I have made it out twice on my 2022 850 XCR 136 and just wanted to share my thoughts so far and see what everyone has experienced. Sled is bone stock, all I did was shim the skis and threw 162 1.575 woodys triggers in the 1.35 track. Suspension is set up exactly how I received it from my dealership. I have not really touched a thing.

I am probably about 215lbs fully geared up.

Front Shocks Settings:
High speed: 5 clicks away from full hard
Low speed: 5 clicks away from full hard
Springs: Stock setting

Rear Shocks Settings:
Not sure about compression settings, I haven't checked.
Springs: Both set to medium

Suspension:
Cornering is very good out of the box, sled stays flat but there is a little bit of push. I have found that it feels more plush in the small rollers and stutters than I had expected but it also takes the big bumps well and I have only bottomed the center track shock a couple times on really big bumps. My plan is to bump up the torsion springs to the high settings and to bring down the preload on the center shock in hopes of getting rid of the pushing. I will turn up the center shock high speed compression a few clicks to reduce bottoming and make minor tweaks from there.

Engine/clutching:
Its still in break in mode but the power is good. I raced my buddy who was riding my 2020 850 and he pulled away from me which is expected since this sled still isn't broken in. No real surprises, no issues with fouled plugs (I always let sled warm up to 90*F before touching the throttle). I haven't paid much attention to what RPMs I pull yet as it is still in break in and I haven't held it wide open for long. I did notice that the belt tension was a little loose so I tightened that up a little and it has been good.

Concerns:
Well there had to be something right? I have a weird noise that I can hear when I let off the throttle and coast at higher speeds. It appears to be coming from the throttle side and it sounds like someone is intermittently tapping the brake and you can here that whine from the pads on the rotor. It is very annoying and I hope that it goes away soon... I checked the rotor and it seems fine. It wasn't hot immediately after riding so I assume it isn't sticking. Maybe it will go away as brakes wear in or maybe it is something completely different. I guess only time will tell.

Let me know what you guys have seen so far and what tweaks you plan to make!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Good feedback.
Is the noise a clanking or whining like it does when you apply the brakes? All my poos have had the break pad clanks and clicks which is surely annoying.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good feedback.
Is the noise a clanking or whining like it does when you apply the brakes? All my poos have had the break pad clanks and clicks which is surely annoying.
Its the whining noise. It sounds like if you were to really lightly tap the brake without locking up the track but it is intermittent. I believe it makes the sounds all the time at higher speeds but I can only hear it clearly when I am coasting and there is minimal engine noise. Riding around under 15mph I do not hear it at all.... very weird

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Its the whining noise. It sounds like if you were to really lightly tap the brake without locking up the track but it is intermittent. I believe it makes the sounds all the time at higher speeds but I can only hear it clearly when I am coasting and there is minimal engine noise. Riding around under 15mph I do not hear it at all.... very weird
could it be a warped rotor and rubbing? I had a brand-new cat come with one that would rub on the pads when not applied, but I could feel it in the brake handle when I did apply brakes. Obviously was warrantied.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could it be a warped rotor and rubbing? I had a brand-new cat come with one that would rub on the pads when not applied, but I could feel it in the brake handle when I did apply brakes. Obviously was warrantied.
I haven't noticed any feedback through the brake lever that would imply that it is warped. I know on cars all rotors have some run out to push the pads back when not in use. I assume sleds do as well so it is possible that the rotor and pads are intermittently making contacting and causing the noise. If so my hope is that it goes away after the pads and rotor are fully broken in.

My only other thought was that maybe it is not the brakes at all and I have drive shaft or jack shaft bearing failing on the throttle side but that is probably me just being paranoid.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,581 Posts
For those who care.... So I have made it out twice on my 2022 850 XCR 136 and just wanted to share my thoughts so far and see what everyone has experienced. Sled is bone stock, all I did was shim the skis and threw 162 1.575 woodys triggers in the 1.35 track. Suspension is set up exactly how I received it from my dealership. I have not really touched a thing.

I am probably about 215lbs fully geared up.

Rear Shocks Settings:
Not sure about compression settings, I haven't checked.
Springs: Both set to medium

Suspension:
Cornering is very good out of the box, sled stays flat but there is a little bit of push. I have found that it feels more plush in the small rollers and stutters than I had expected but it also takes the big bumps well and I have only bottomed the center track shock a couple times on really big bumps. My plan is to bump up the torsion springs to the high settings and to bring down the preload on the center shock in hopes of getting rid of the pushing. I will turn up the center shock high speed compression a few clicks to reduce bottoming and make minor tweaks from there.
What are you running for ski carbides?

REDUCING PUSH
I would suggest that you increase the torsion spring preload (that can be done/undone easily), and see how you like that, BEFORE you go after the more difficult change to the spring preload on the FTS.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are you running for ski carbides?

REDUCING PUSH
I would suggest that you increase the torsion spring preload (that can be done/undone easily), and see how you like that, BEFORE you go after the more difficult change to the spring preload on the FTS.
Stock woodys carbides (they were supposed to be 8" but I forget to check when I was putting my Ski shims in) I plan to confirm the length on them when I ride on Sunday. And yeah plan is to make the change to the torsion springs first and then to the FTS if needed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you get into some tight twisties? How did it steer? I'm selling my 17 blizzard 800 and am torn between and matryx and a gen 4, xp/xs chassis always had heavy steering and want something lighter thats easier on the hands and wrists all day.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you get into some tight twisties? How did it steer? I'm selling my 17 blizzard 800 and am torn between and matryx and a gen 4, xp/xs chassis always had heavy steering and want something lighter thats easier on the hands and wrists all day.
Some but not in optimal conditions. I can say it has a slightly lighter steering feel than I remember on my 2014 XRS 800 but it really comes down to how you set them up. I am actually trying to get more ski pressure out of this and heavier steering so that it does not push while riding aggressively.

I will say that my Axys blew away my skidoo XS and that the Matryx blows away my Axys in terms of ergonomics and overall ride quality so you will not regret the switch!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would definitely check the carbides. Unless you ordered it with 8", they usually come stock with only 4". Especially with that many studs, you will have lots of traction. My wife has a '22 VR1 that I have put some miles on and with 90 studs in a 1.35 track and 6" carbines, I have not had rany push to speak of. It is better than my '21 axys.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
The push might also be a result of having 162 tall studs in a 136" track. My son has a 144" Assault that has 114 studs in the center belt, and 7.5" Shaper Bars on the skis. It does not push at all.

<edit>
Kell, you beat me to it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
XCR's come with 8" carbides, and you can dial that push out, start with your torsion spring setting for proper sag. 3-3.5" and minimal preload on the center shock, see how it acts with that for starters. maybe add a little front ski shock preload if needed if desired results aren't reached from first two suggestions.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would definitely check the carbides. Unless you ordered it with 8", they usually come stock with only 4". Especially with that many studs, you will have lots of traction. My wife has a '22 VR1 that I have put some miles on and with 90 studs in a 1.35 track and 6" carbines, I have not had rany push to speak of. It is better than my '21 axys.
To clarify, it isn't a lot of push and I haven't ridden on great snow thus far. XCRs are supposed to come with 8" from the factory this year but I have heard some only got shipped with 4 so I need to check. I know with 8" carbides I can get it properly steer with 162 studs (I have on other sleds). Still need to get it on good snow to really tell what it needs.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
In loose snow, length of carbide means next to nothing. Runner profile matters, and the runner length doesn't change. The length of carbide only really matters on ice, very hard pack, and longevity. My dad's '22 XCR came with 8". Woody's ace bars and stud boy shapers are my favorites, but again, it's due to the rail profile/shape and not how long the carbide is.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In loose snow, length of carbide means next to nothing. Runner profile matters, and the runner length doesn't change. The length of carbide only really matters on ice, very hard pack, and longevity. My dad's '22 XCR came with 8". Woody's ace bars and stud boy shapers are my favorites, but again, it's due to the rail profile/shape and not how long the carbide is.
Agree with all of this. Next carbide will be the woodys maverick 8”

1 - 20 of 71 Posts