Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rob:

Since you now have a few miles on your firecat....could you give me your pros vs con on how these two compare. I am looking at a firecat this time and would like your honest oppinion of what you like on each sled and what you do not like. Ride quality, cornering ability, noise level...brake noise also, etc.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
228 Posts
Snowman ,
I Run A '98 XC 700 And I Will Say It's As Good Or Better Than The F7 Firecats . BUT !! , I've Also Done Alot Of Work To This Sled . The M 10B Makes It Ride Like A Dream When Things Gets Rough . SLP Has Also Helped Me Out A Bit And The Sled Now Makes 152 HP . Reliabiltly Has Been Top Notch , Never Had Any Major Problems . For Being 5 Years Old , I Can't Complain .

·
Registered
831 Posts
yeah but it's still a P-P-P-P-Po- oh never mind, it's sunday, no bashing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Snowman@Jan 19 2003, 12:14 AM
Rob:

Since you now have a few miles on your firecat....could you give me your pros vs con on how these two compare. I am looking at a firecat this time and would like your honest oppinion of what you like on each sled and what you do not like. Ride quality, cornering ability, noise level...brake noise also, etc.

Thanks in advance
OK, here goes.

Engine: F7 naturally has much more power, and also is smoother.

Clutching: no comparison here, F7 is much more responsive, and backshifts much faster. The lack of a roller secondary really shows in the XC.. it seems to take light years to backshift compared to the FC.

Front suspension: F7 is way ahead. this was/is the XCs big shortcoming. when pushed, the XC will crash into moguls, while the Firecat rides on top of them. Junk corners also give the XC fits. The FC is more precise.

Rear suspension: This is the one area that I feel the XC might have an "edge".. The Edge skid swallowed moguls almost as well as the F7 but had a much better ride on stutterbumps.

Cornering ability: Again no comparison.. The Firecat is SO much more nimble, it is way easier to turn and put it where you want to.

Seat: The Firecat narrow seat is fantastic.. Soft and easy to shift your weight on, one of the best things about the FC. XC seat is good compared to many of the others (Doo & Yam), but not nearly as good as the FC

Noise level?: Well this isn't too important to me, but I guess the XC is quieter, UNTIL you hit the brake, then that god-aweful brake squeal will make you think you just ran over some animal and it got caught in the tunnel.. Honestly I don't understand why Poo doesn't fix that..

Ergonomics: I used to think XC ergos were good until I sat on a FC. NOTHING but nothing is as comfortable (for me) as the FC seat/bars.. AC please don't change anything!

Finally, the FUN factor goes to the Firecat in a big way. I've been riding a long time and had lots of different sleds, and I can honestly say that I've never has a sled that is so much raw fun to ride! Like I've said before, comparing the XC to a F7 is like comparing a station wagon to a Corvette.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Originally posted by rob@Jan 19 2003, 07:28 AM
Rear suspension: This is the one area that I feel the XC might have an "edge".. The Edge skid swallowed moguls almost as well as the F7 but had a much better ride on stutterbumps.
I think the problem is that you have the snopro suspension that is way stiffer than the xc. And on studder bumps the suspension is too stiff to soak them up, the suspension is more suited for big bumps and mogels. If you had a standard suspension im sure the firecat would ride better than the xc in the studder bumps, but thats just my theory.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Davey_Boy has a good point. The snopro rear should be compared to the PRO-X rear skid to have things be equal. Actually, to have anything equal, the Firecat should be compared to the PRO-X not the regular XC. Completely different animals. It's like comparing a ZL 600 to a REV X, not even in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I agree. I ridden ZL's for the past few years. A ZL 550 and a ZL 700 and that is why I went with the standard F 7 and not the sno pro. I guess it is all about what you want. I like the soft ride, but also like to hit the jumps hard. Even when the trail is all moguled out, my standard F 7 leads the pack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts