Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a way to add cooling to my firecat this season. Has anyone added colling lines or an extra exchanger to their sleds? I am curious where I can add to.

I was thinking about adding to the tunnel, or even a Polaris radiator into the engine compartment. Any ideas welcome. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
i dont get it... the rear exchanger is a monster already...

does your coolant run thru the running board edges or no?

:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

·
Registered
920 Posts
you can buy the cooler material i think slp sells it , its spendy though $12-$13 a foot.

havnt had good luck with radiators on sleds, run snow through it and it turns to water and then to ice kills the inside of your sled, ask all the fusion guys they will tell you about ice build up on the front of there sleds.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by HOUGH@Sep 27 2005, 09:37 PM
i dont get it...  the rear exchanger is a monster already...

does your coolant run thru the running board edges or no?
:fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=896514
[/quote]

Yes, I do have the hoses going through running board.

I am running a billet 925 motor in it with Nitrous. It gets hot quick... especially in marginal snow conditions. I wanted to put twins on it, but am hesitant because I know the midrange will be quite hot on the trails. I need to cool it down more if I want to add the twins.

I am thinking of doubling up the rear heat exchanger under the tunnel. Just wanted to know if anyone has tried anything like this? I do not want to restrict the flow of the coolant.

·
Registered
10,580 Posts
Find an 04 chassis for the motor maybe? You could try some ice scratchers to kick snow into the suspension.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Put a set of scratchers on. They make a huge differance.

·
Registered
699 Posts
We were talking about adding a set of the running board coolers off an older Polaris indy chassis. I dont know if this is the answer for you but its an idea we talked about for my race sled....

·
Registered
145 Posts
was thinking about the same thing the propblem the tunnel is tieing it into the cooling system very hard to do i was thinking about the slp exchanger material you can buy and putting it in the bottom of the belly pan on the clutch side it would be easy to tie into the system there and if you need put a ice scracher on that side for marginal conditions. lets hear some other ideas

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
maybe you could just add a extra coolant res under the hood??

that plus scratchers would probly do it...

:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Originally posted by Nuke Laloosh@Sep 27 2005, 09:21 PM
I am looking for a way to add cooling to my firecat this season.  Has anyone added colling lines or an extra exchanger to their sleds?  I am curious where I can add to.

I was thinking about adding to the tunnel, or even a Polaris radiator into the engine compartment.  Any ideas welcome. :dunno:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=896470
[/quote]

I have a tunnel extension on my F7 so extra coolant is added that way, but I also heard that Bikeman has an updated coolant bottle that holds more fluid :dunno: This may be an inexpensive and easy fix if it is just coolant volume that you are lacking.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just received the updated cooling kit from BMP today. The kit is just an 04 bottle, hose, and thermastat cover. I think it increases the hose size to 7/8 instead of 3/4. I have added a F8 kit to my 03 this year and have been wondering about the cooling. Bikeman says the cooling kit helps, we'll see.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Originally posted by joesyb@Sep 28 2005, 01:08 PM
I just received the updated cooling kit from BMP today.  The kit is just an 04 bottle, hose, and thermastat cover.  I think it increases the hose size to 7/8 instead of 3/4.  I have added a F8 kit to my 03 this year and have been wondering about the cooling.  Bikeman says the cooling kit helps, we'll see.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=897413
[/quote]

joesyb............What was the price of the coolant kit?
I requested a Bikemans supply catalog 2 weeks ago and haven't seen it yet :dunno:

·
Registered
145 Posts
the coolant bottle update is to help bleed air out of the cooling system has no effect on cooling of the motor the 03 had smaller inlet and outlet on heat exchangers also which does not help the 04 were much larger inlets and outlets throughout the whole cooling system better for big bore applications but maybee still not enough

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Originally posted by warranty@Sep 28 2005, 02:50 PM
the coolant bottle update is to help bleed air out of the cooling system has no effect on cooling of the motor the 03 had smaller inlet and outlet on heat exchangers also which does not help the 04 were much larger inlets and outlets throughout the whole cooling system better for big bore applications but maybee still not enough
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=897558
[/quote]

Dude, use these things......... It makes reading so much easier :div20:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Originally posted by ZR800DITCHDOCKER@Sep 28 2005, 12:37 PM
joesyb............What was the price of the coolant kit?
I requested a Bikemans supply catalog 2 weeks ago and haven't seen it yet :dunno:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=897453
[/quote]

The kit was 100.00. We'll see if it works, Erich says to add it on all 03's with big bore kits so I figure any help with cooling is a positive. I did wonder how one bigger hose and a thermastat cover would do much without bigger outlets on the exchangers but it must help? I guess even if it helps bleed the system its probally worth it. Has anyone had much experiance with redline water wetter or other similar products. I work at a Subaru dealership and some of the rally car race teams swear by cel cool. www.cel-cool.com, has anyone used something like this?

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Nuke if you still have that 03 hood i will buy it. I have the money right now. Do you still have it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts