Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On earlier postings, someone came up with the size of socket to add to the toolbox that fits the rear axle nut properly on out Firecats(instead of using the wrench supplied in the factory tool kit).

What was the size of socket, is it a 1-1/2" 6 point socket? Thanks.
-John

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
you got it.1&1/2

·
Registered
4 Posts
1 1/2" but it fits loose. Maybe a metric might be better. I could only find a 12 point socket. It does work fine, but its sloppy.

·
Registered
344 Posts
This is one piece I bought a spare of to carry. If you lose this nut you'll NEVER find one unless your at a Cat Dealer. Probably never come off, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The nut measures 1.475. Of course 1 1/2 is 1.50. A 38 mm socket measures 1.495. The only problem is finding a 38 mm 6 point. The only way I have found this so far is 3/4 inch drive, but I am still looking. I would reccomend getting a 6 point socket for sure. Arctic Cat has a part # for a socket they had at the mechanics class. Only thing is they told my dealer 6 to 8 weeks about 3 to 4 weeks ago. If anybody can find a source for a 38mm 6 point let us all know.

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,042 Posts
You don't need to loosen the nut to adjust you track here is your options.

To loosen the track;

Loosen 3/8 bolts with 9/16 socket and wrench back Gus up to the sled and yell "OYACHE" one kick is all it will take. Or just tap rear idlers with hammer it will move easily.

To tighten track;

Turn 3/8 bolts with same tools clockwise equally until desired tightness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by fast 600@Dec 5 2002, 09:25 AM
You don't need to loosen the nut to adjust you track here is your options.

To loosen the track;

Loosen 3/8 bolts with 9/16 socket and wrench back Gus up to the sled and yell "OYACHE" one kick is all it will take. Or just tap rear idlers with hammer it will move easily.

To tighten track;

Turn 3/8 bolts with same tools clockwise equally until desired tightness.
NO WAY! You have to loosen that nut! That nut IS the rear shaft, it has to move easily to adjust tension.

HOLY SMOKES next thing we'll be using a sledge hammer to set the toe

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,042 Posts
I have never loosened a rear axle on a Arctic Cat. Just loosened the track on my f7 yesterday, tap with hammer, moves easily. Remember it is plastic against a aluminum rail, if you look inside the rail there is a 3/8 stop bolt that your 3/8 adj. bolt stops against.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
You guys DID get the 1 1/2" wrench that comes with the sled in the supplied tool kit, right?!?!?!?!?!? What's the matter with that one... won't it work?!?!?!?!? -- Roy

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Roy T,

Yes, I did get the wrench in the tool kit. I wanted a socket for 2 reasons..... I think it will be much easier to work with than the short wrench supplied, and I also want to be able to torque it to spec. (30 ft-lb).

IMO: for the $6.50 that I spent for a cheapie socket, It's well worth it.
-John

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Hi there John!

I'm SURE I'll be agreeing with you on the socket thing too, once I get to wrenching on my sled. How's that nut actually stay on there anyway... lock washer, loctite, rare earth magnets???

Did you see my post asking about the driven offset adjusting procedure? Any ideas on this yet? -- Roy

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Set, Socket, Metric, Shallow, 12-Point (13 pcs.) (22 to 55 mm)

Only $775 @ snapon.com

Such a great deal.

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
I don't know since I just read way too many #'s !!!!..But make sure you all know the track adj. bolt sizes are a 1/2 inch socket..(correct me if I'm wrong)
that is the major track tension tool. ( and wrench)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Roy,

Hi! When tightening the axle nut, blue Loc-Tite is supposed to applies to the threads. I guess that is what holds it on......

I have seen your post, unfortunately I know absolutely NOTHING about clutching, offsets, deflection, ect.... Some of these things(specifications) on any sled seem so "if-y"......

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Roy,

Hi! When tightening the axle nut, blue Loc-Tite is supposed to be applied to the threads. I guess that is what holds it on......

I have seen your post, unfortunately I know absolutely NOTHING about clutching, offsets, deflection, ect.... Some of these things(specifications) on any sled seem so "if-y"......
-John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Snap-on can supply a 1 1/2 6-point 1/2 drive socket. They will sell one indivdually. Try a Snap-on dealer or Snap-on online.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts