Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for all those lucky folk who have some miles under their Firecat, what or how did you accomplish minimizing your Firecat "push"? Did you even feel any since you have got to ride on some better conditions?

What carbides, track, and studs (if any) are you running?

andyf7 Posted:
it definately got better with a base of snow, but in my oppinion it does not handle as well as a zr

Jay Posted:
6" C&A Pro trail skis, 8" Bottomline carbides, 1.375" track, no studs, stock suspension settings, couplers on 1, rear spring adjusters on 1. I have no push whatsoever!

I did notice that the turning radius does seem larger than a ZR, but nothing to be concerned with. More seat time will tell.

rob Posted: Leaning before the turn eliminates any push. It does take some getting used to, but it will rail if you ride it like that, even with the stock skis and setup. I would leave the limiter strap in the stock position also.. It is great on powder, gets right up on top and stays there.

The turn radius does suck though.. No getting around that.

patriot missile Posted:

Ii ran 100 miles on forest roads this weekend,i have a f 7 std. 153 studs stock carbides i ran on powder and plowed hard pack sled turns poorly and gets a little better on hard pack if you ride hard and forward its not to bad but sit back and sled does not want to turn.Im going to put on ten inch carbides this week hopefully this helps.i road a viper last year the f7 is no comparision in corners but over bumps and ride comfort f7 much better.ao by the way power and transfer way better on f7 compared to piped viper if i could only figure out turning it would be the perfect sled.

Jay Posted:

QUOTE (patriot missile @ Dec 2 2002, 04:36 PM)
i have a f 7 std. 153 studs stock carbides

That's part of the problem right there.

patriot missile Posted:
i figured as much will try out fri with 10inch and report back.

BlackSaber7 Posted:

In the few miles I got on mine, I didnt notic ANY PUSH AT ALL. I rode with the Dealer set-up & it was AWESOME. I ride like rob is talking about, and I didnt even think about push in the corners. Lifts the inside about 4 or 5" and it CARVES the corners.

Turning radius. What is that. Turns about the same revolution as EARTH

Cant wait for the next 6 miles.........

Nick Posted:

I ride like rob describes! People make fun of me, but that is at the bar becasue they can't catch me on the trails! I hope to test soon! I may test tonight,.... on our 2" of freshly fallen snow!
Report this post

hvf7 Posted:
If you lean in to the turn and sit close to the tank
there is a very very small amount of push with the stock
skies. About the same as my 02 zl 600. Not enought push
to buy longer carbibes or after market skies. The little
bit of push was only when I went real slow. Maybe
5 mph or so.

hvf7 Posted:
One other thing! You must have grip plates!

Dan E. Posted:

I rode all day yesterday, I did not find any push in the corners, but I rode it as a race sled and not like a cruiser. Still at the dealer set-up; 2 on the springs and coupling, The front & ski shocks are twisted 1/2 way up, 1" track and no studs. The only thing that was a little unsettling was the inside ski lift, although, I was hitting the corners a lot faster than I would on any other sled. It is almost as bad as my Ski-Doo. This sled has the best suspension than any other sled I’ve ridden.

Dan E.

f7neck Posted:

Rob hit the nail on the head. I have 1" track with 153 studs and 7.5" shaper bars. You have to ride the sled aggresively to appreciate the way it corners. Carry more speed than usual into the corner, tap the brake and get on the throttle a little sooner coming out of the corner and you can almost feel the narrow track biting. It's a little unnerving at first until you get used to it and really start trusting the sled. Like Firecracker said a few weeks ago: "You have to find the sweet spot".

Mike C Posted:

QUOTE (rob @ Dec 2 2002, 04:35 PM)
Leaning before the turn eliminates any push. It does take some getting used to, but it will rail if you ride it like that, even with the stock skis and setup. I would leave the limiter strap in the stock position also.. It is great on powder, gets right up on top and stays there.

The turn radius does suck though.. No getting around that.

That can be helped with reverse, if we ever get it.

FIRECRACKER Posted:

ROB,
as the rock , would say!!!
can you smell what the rock is cooking!!!!!!!! just bring it!!!!!!
all you candy a$$'$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i have to totttttttttttttttaly agree with mr. ROB.
first time out, had to figure out how to ride sled in corners
second time out, was doing wheelies around corners, lol.
my "SWEET SPOT" as i call it, move towards gas tank and
lean slightly before approaching corner~~~~! BINGO,
as the rock says , can you smell what the FIRECAT is cooking?
your motor? no! your ar$e? no your excitement? YES~~~~~!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
QUOTE (andyf7 @ Dec 2 2002, 04:11 PM)
it definately got better with a base of snow, but in my oppinion it does not handle as well as a zr

So far, on minimal snow and nothing groomed...I feel the way Andy does, but a lot of people are saying once the base is packed and we all get more experienced we'll be able to take advantage of the whole design. The brakes are awesome so as far as using them to corner better that should work the balls.

bosssho Posted:

QUOTE (FIRECRACKER @ Dec 2 2002, 08:49 PM)
ROB,
as the rock , would say!!!
can you smell what the rock is cooking!!!!!!!! just bring it!!!!!!
all you candy a$$'$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i have to totttttttttttttttaly agree with mr. ROB.
first time out, had to figure out how to ride sled in corners
second time out, was doing wheelies around corners, lol.
my "SWEET SPOT" as i call it, move towards gas tank and
lean slightly before approaching corner~~~~! BINGO,
as the rock says , can you smell what the FIRECAT is cooking?
your motor? no! your ar$e? no your excitement? YES~~~~~!

Firecracker you are too much, And the Rock means too much.

It's funny that everyone is finding that leaning into corners while riding in the forward position is the way to corner when I can remember reading over the Summer/Fall in a few magazines that test rode these things that the best way to ride a Firecat was to sit back...I tried that and almost went off the trail...I changed back to my ZR style which is the "ROB" Riding Postition and found the Firecat to be a lot more stable. I am sure that with some more snow and better conditions it will feel more like an extension of me rather than a sled I am riding...much like my ZR 800 was last year. God help us all if Reverse doesn't come out because I did some test turns with my buddy on his 03 ZR 800 and I was at least a foot outside of his turning radius which, as Rob said, sucks.

Earl McCreary Posted:

Rode first time this weekend. In the corners, I leaned forward and inside, and had no problem flying around corners.

Ride it like a motocross and you have no problems

Nick Posted:

Glad to hear that Earl, I have rode many dirtbikes and hope to carry oiver my style. I love to ride hard!

dave red f7 Posted:
c&a pro trail skis, 9 " carbide, 60 degree
no picks, corners like the monorail at disney

Jay Posted:

QUOTE (dave red f7 @ Dec 3 2002, 08:58 AM)
corners like the monorail at disney

LMAO

Earl McCreary Posted:

Why so much worry on the turning raidus. Try turning a MC 900 151" track.

Firecat does fine... No reason to turn any how, just pull over and let the rest catch up...

f7neck Posted:
I've got 153 picks and I find if you clamp the brake and throw your weight-the ass end comes right around. No need to get off and turn it like your buddies on those outdated whales.

I'm amazed that it can hook up so good yet the ass end can feel loose when you want it too. I really love this sled. I think AC designed it just for me!!

Thumper Posted:
Advanced Member
As I reported several weeks ago, you have to give the sled input. Leaning and getting up on the seat works best contrary to what the mags stated. I came up with this before most had any miles on their sled so I began to doubt myself but it just felt right. Then Cracker echoed it in his own colorful way and I knew I was not alone

·
Registered
743 Posts
I did see the sled push in the corners more then I like, but if you lean hard in the corners it does help, But I think it should corner the way they said it does without the extra leaning, I never had to lean that hard with my ZR, and even cats pride writes about the 2003 snow pro witch is the same bace as the firecat, this year Arcticat is working on improving on corning and handling, so they focused on the suspensions the rear is lowerd 2.5" at the rear arm and 0.75" at the front witch put the rider foward more improving cornering and centralizing the riders weight, A new version of the cross link suspension system incorporates a larger diameter rear shock. so that is there fix for the handeling of th snow pro 440

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can honestly say that my '03 SnoPro doesn't push at all. That is with the stock 4" carbides, in really crappy conditions.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Do you think the longer "wheel base" of the F sleds could cause it to push? I know that when Polaris moved the spindles forward on the Edge chassis people complained that it did not corner as well as the Gen II. Also, they had to shorten the "wheel base" on the Sno X sled to get it turn tight. That is one of the major differenced between the Edge and Pro X chassis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts