Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing a teather strap last night, pulled off one of the ignition wires and Hooked up the teather to it, and the sled started with out the teather attached to it's switch. After completly removing the teather switch, and all wires from the ignition, I lifted up the Kill switch and started the sled right up.

So, the F5 firecat starts with a open loop, to make matters worse, you only need to lift the hood up about 2 inches to reach the openly exposed ignition wires and disconnect one. Is it just me, or is this just plain stupid? It's bad enough the Arctic Cat has uses the same key for almost every model, but to make it start with a open loop??

Time to buy a gas handlebar lock I guess...

-Dave

·
Registered
720 Posts
The ONLY good thing is that this set up eliminates all the problems the Cats used to have with the kill switches going bad. Just add a hidden switch so that whether or not the ignition wires are connected or disconnected the switch keeps continuity between the two ignition wires and the sled will stay dead.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Starting with an open loop is not Damaging to the engine.(well in a four stroke at least) But I don't think it will hurt the engine anyway. As for someone stealing your sled. A handle bar lock will keep all the Honest people away but if a real thief wants your sled? (Bye Bye)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Cat has EFI now they need to step up and add something similar to DOO's DESS. , I lock my trailor, and cable lock my sleds together but nothing will stop a determined thief...

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by FreezOrBurn@Dec 31 2002, 10:37 AM
Starting with an open loop is not Damaging to the engine.(well in a four stroke at least) But I don't think it will hurt the engine anyway. As for someone stealing your sled. A handle bar lock will keep all the Honest people away but if a real thief wants your sled? (Bye Bye)
I'm not worried about hurting the engine I know running it with a open loop won't damage it. I'm more worried about someone walking by and saying "Hey, a F5 Black Patriot Sno Pro, I want one."

Ok, on a side note, how in the hell do I get the teather strap to work if the sled runs on a open loop? The switch I bought was a after market, not the arctic cat switch.

-Dave

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I installed the AC tether switch and it works fine. If you want me to scan the directions and wireing diagram, let me know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by fireball@Dec 31 2002, 11:52 AM
KNOW WHAT MAKES IT EVEN EASIER TO STEAL A FIRECAT.. TELLING PEOPLE HOW TO DO IT ON A FORUM THAT 1000'S LOOK AT.
On a forum of Firecat owners, warning them about something that I found last night on my firecat. Same thing in the computer world, post security problems on PUBLIC forums so system administrators can fix the problem. Yes, hackers may read the same forum, but if the sysadmin reads it, he can fix the problem before the hacker can get into the site. I will be installing a secondary switch on my firecat to fix the problem.

Trust me, I'm sure everyone that want's to steal a F5 Firecat already knows that they run on a open loop. It's the first thing a thief would check. It's been a problem on Polaris sleds for years, I just can't believe Cat would do the same.

-Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts