Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well beings these shocks are off a firecat i figured i could ask this here. i put zero pro shocks in my zr and do not like the yellow springs. i was wondering how it would effect it if i put my green zr springs in? i think i read somewhere the zero pro springs were rated at 120lbs, what are the zr? would i be better off putting up with the yellow and keeping it on there?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
The shocks and springs that are on your sled now are made to work togeter. I'm sure your green spring would fit and work, it just wouldn't be a matched set like you have now. I have the zero pros on my F6 and it's the best riding sled I have rode.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Originally posted by jordan123@Aug 28 2005, 01:38 PM
well beings these shocks are off a firecat i figured i could ask this here. i put zero pro shocks in my zr and do not like the yellow springs. i was wondering how it would effect it if i put my green zr springs in? i think i read somewhere the zero pro springs were rated at 120lbs, what are the zr? would i be better off putting up with the yellow and keeping it on there?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=850779
[/quote]

You may have more problems than spring color if you put F-Cat shocks on your ZR. The free length of the ZR springs must be shorter because theyare a 41" stance vs. the F-Cat 43". Did you change a-arms too ? If not, the geometry is probably all screwed up because the longer shocks would raise the ride height and throw the camber curve off and other not so good stuff. Since you are in TRF, why didn't you just have Carver revalve the original shocks? Or just buy the shocks from and older Sno Pro or ZR LE with a 41" stance if you think you have to have remotes. My 99 LE was plenty stiff for ditchbanging with the clickers on 3-4 and the torsion springs on low. Your 98 has 80-125lb variable rate springs, the same as the 97 440/580 and 99 std ZR. The 98 Sno Pro has 110lb straight rate and 99 LE 95lb straight rate. Those F-Cat SP springs are straight rate I think, but 120lbs sounds too high.

I guess all this might not matter anyway, since the sled will probably break in half the first time you go tryout for The Braap Pack. :doh:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Big Gun@Aug 28 2005, 09:18 PM
You may have more problems than spring color if you put F-Cat shocks on your ZR. The free length of the ZR springs must be shorter because theyare a 41" stance vs. the F-Cat 43".  Did you change a-arms too ? If not, the geometry is probably all screwed up because the longer shocks would raise the ride height and throw the camber curve off and other not so good stuff. Since you are in TRF, why didn't you just have Carver revalve the original shocks? Or just buy the shocks from and older Sno Pro or ZR LE with a 41" stance if you think you have to have remotes. My 99 LE was plenty stiff for ditchbanging with the clickers on 3-4 and the torsion springs on low. Your 98 has 80-125lb variable rate springs, the same as the 97 440/580 and 99 std ZR. The 98 Sno Pro has 110lb straight rate and 99 LE 95lb straight rate. Those F-Cat SP springs are straight rate I think, but 120lbs sounds too high.

I guess all this might not matter anyway, since the sled will probably break in half the first time you go tryout for The Braap Pack.  :doh:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=851382
[/quote]
well the older shocks pretty much sucked and i got these shocks for 200 bucks in the package. i couldnt find older zr shocks. so i figured id go with this. my friends dad put longer shocks in his zr and didnt seem to effect the handling. could you reply and tell me if you serisouly think this will effect it that negatively without the stupid ass braaap pack comments....

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Originally posted by jordan123@Aug 28 2005, 10:11 PM
well the older shocks pretty much sucked and i got these shocks for 200 bucks in the package. i couldnt find older zr shocks. so i figured id go with this. my friends dad put longer shocks in his zr and didnt seem to effect the handling. could you reply and tell me if you serisouly think this will effect it that negatively without the stupid ass braaap pack comments....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=851448
[/quote]

Well, I was being serious and trying to be helpful- the Braap Pack thing is supposed to be funny because I see alot of 14-17 year olds on here talking about Fly bars, custom risers, building ramps, freestyle riding, etc.- it's obvoious what they are trying to emulate- I think the older members who are not into such things would agree, but I guess that hit close to home for you. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great you are trying to fix up your own sled, but there is no need to take offense to a little comment after I offered you genuinely helpful advise.

Now back to your (potential) problem- I was going to put 01 shocks on my 99 while my buddy was rebuilding the originals, but it didn't look right to me at all, so I scrapped the idea. There is a reason Cat makes different a-arms and steering components for 41" vs 43" stance- exactly how mismatched parts would affect it I don't know, but it's not worth the trouble IMO. As I said before, Carver can make your shocks not suck anymore because they are rebuildable and re-valveable Fox Shox- just tell them what you want to do with them and they will fix you up. Probably no need for different springs either, as the 97 ZR440 race sled came with the same springs standard with just a different shock package. I wouldn't second guess the factory engineers and just bolt on parts from another sled and hope it will work when what you have can be tailored to your application by professionals who work with the stuff every day.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Big Gun@Aug 28 2005, 11:02 PM
Well, I was being serious and trying to be helpful- the Braap Pack thing is supposed to be funny because I see alot of 14-17 year olds on here talking about Fly bars, custom risers, building ramps, freestyle riding, etc.- it's obvoious what they are trying to emulate- I think the older members who are not into such things would agree, but I guess that hit close to home for you. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great you are trying to fix up your own sled, but there is no need to take offense to a little comment after I offered you genuinely helpful advise.

Now back to your (potential) problem- I was going to put 01 shocks on my 99 while my buddy was rebuilding the originals, but it didn't look right to me at all, so I scrapped the idea. There is a reason Cat makes different a-arms and steering components for 41" vs 43" stance- exactly how mismatched parts would affect it I don't know, but it's not worth the trouble IMO. As I said before, Carver can make your shocks not suck anymore because they are rebuildable and re-valveable Fox Shox- just tell them what you want to do with them and they will fix you up. Probably no need for different springs either, as the 97 ZR440 race sled came with the same springs standard with just a different shock package. I wouldn't second guess the factory engineers and just bolt on parts from another sled and hope it will work when what you have can be tailored to your application by professionals who work with the stuff every day.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=851495
[/quote]
okay i appologize about the comment for the braap pack thing, i thought you were being an ass about it, thank you for the help. yes i hit ramps and am into feestyle but i jsut toke offence to it, kinda bad mood sorry.

i baught this sled at the end of last winter. the guy had the shocks revalved at carvers right before the season and the suspension still just seemed to suck. could it be that it wasnt valved right for me? i didnt think these shocks would be that big of a problem beings the bottom a-arms have that support that hits the spindle housing so it didnt add like any height. could i just put spacers in these shocks to make then 17" and not the 18.5" length they are now? i baught these from a friend and payed 100 already and still owe him money and am probably shit outta luck on getting my money back, so i wanna make these work if there is a problem.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
so... lemme get this straight.... I have fly bars, and am into hittin ramps, and LOVE sled movies and freestyle. Does this mean there is something wrong with me? Other kids look up to pro football or b-ball players. I look up to Chris Burandt and Jay Quinlan. i spend hours and hours and hours under the hood of my sled trying to get that little edge that the next guy doesn't have. I'm just little confused on what you said big gun...

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha here we go. i was confused if he meant his comment in a good or bad way also but just let it slide anyways.

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
Did you have a hard time putting the shocks on? like had to pry them on or did they just slip on? Fcat sno-pro springs are 110 straight rate springs, which are very good.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by my cat eats dogs@Aug 29 2005, 04:03 AM
Did you have a hard time putting the shocks on? like had to pry them on or did they just slip on? Fcat sno-pro springs are 110 straight rate springs, which are very good.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=851566
[/quote]
i jacked the sled up then unbolts the bottom a-arms from the spindle housing, this gave me a bit more room. then i bolted the shock into the housing and into the shock tower and then lowered the sled a bit and used the weight of the sled to compress the shock to get the top a-arm bolted back in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts