Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read a disheartening article in PowerSports Magazine and to tell you the truth, it’s the first I hear of this and a little disappointed. The article was about the 2006 Firecats Sno Pros (but generalizing all Firecats) on how they are not very stable and very “pitchy” when hitting moguls at speed. Now let me understand this, isn’t the sno-pro designed for ditch banging and if so, the suspension should be able to soak up whoops and rollers at speed with no problems. This guy is claiming that the suspension is so hard that when hitting a mogul, it actually pitches the sled into the air…causing the rider to lift off the throttle and regain control before proceeding…now all of you guys with a F-Cat sno-pros…have you experienced this? The article goes on to say that the Crossfire is the better way to go – even for ditch banging – as that suspension easily strokes through its full motion and keeps the sled planted even through the roughest stuff…any truth to this?

Now for the stability part…. I know everyone talks about how “less” stable the F-Cats are vs. the old ZR chassis, mostly because of the 13.5-inch track vs. the 15incher on the ZR. Now how much of an issue is this…are we talking about blasting across the lake at 100MPH and having the sled wiggle and shimmy under your butt? OR going into a corner and feeling as if the sled if going to tip over on its side before the turn is completed? Sorry for my stupidity and paranoia, but I am looking to buy an F-Cat this fall and want to make sure I wont be disappointed…i am currently coming off of an 99 ZR500 and have never experienced the above with this machine…its very easy to go across a lake at 90MPH and only hanging on with one hand…I really have never felt out of control going through whoops and rollers other than when bottoming hard…so I have to imagine that new technology (F-cat) will outperform the older tech that im riding on…anyone????

·
Registered
281 Posts
well, from my 1700 miles of on and off trail, lake racing experience i would say that the book is full of shit. I think the firecats handle great, especially the snow pro with the floats, if you know ur goin high speed corner to corner take a little air out, lower ur center of gravity and hang on. i would say if ur gonna sit in the middle of the sled and turn, they may be tippy but if ur into leanin hard, its a fun ass sled. whoops: i think it takes them great as long as you dont over jump alot of shit and bend the rear suspension like did then it sucks, but yes the sno pro suspension is stiff.

I love my sled and wouldnt ride anything else, unless it be a 440 racer, for racings sake.

later

·
Super Moderator
5,671 Posts
I have an 04 and it did not ride all that well when i first got it. I made a few very minor changes to the suspension and a new set of skis and it became a great sled to ride and really stable in the corners. I now have an 05 and rode several last year and they were even better than my 04, so I have no idea what they are talking about.

Jester

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
That guy is a jackass,once you get your suspension set up to your liking,you will feel like your on rails,a nice aftermarket ski,like slp powder pro's,a little ski presure up front and you will be rocking,take the time to set it up right and you will be fine,I did'nt like the way mine handle when I first got it,it was unstable and did'nt feel right going into corner's,but mess with the suspension a little and get it where you like it and you will be a very happy camper. :div20:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The guy must have something against Firecats (maybe beaten to many times by them) because my F7 sno pro handles moguls without a problem. Cornering is a bit of doing, but can be corrected with aftermarket skis. I'm telling ya, the sno pro sucks up bumps with no problems, and I have no idea about this pitching forward thing. I can ride across stutter bumps without even feeling a thing. This guy is smoking crack, because you'll get abunch of responces backing up what I just said.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
I threw on a pair of simmons skis and played with the suspension a bit. I love how it handles. I really like the feel of the narrow track, now that I'm used to it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think the big thing here is that you dial in the suspension to your likes and i also went with aftermarket skis and a good carbide,made a big difference,i put on some usi progect X ski's.and added ski pressure.I think you more less need to be an aggresive type of rider on the firecat,the harder you attack things,the better off you are.And no worries going across lakes.was up north on lake of bays in the muskokas (ontario) huge lake,no prob running across that with one hand.so i think set up is key here. and rider style! :celebrating:

[attachment=94589:attachment]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I don't have the SP but, I can rail even with the sway bars taken out. Yep it took some getting used to riding that way. I just learned to hang my ass off the seat a little farther with a few pinches on the binders at appropriate times. I think the F-cats are built to be beat on. I got pissed once and found out how much better mine handles in the moguls when you mash the throttle. Just skipped right over them. (I have the 144")

I believe with every new sled there is an adjustment curve for you to learn how it handles and get the suspension set right. Don't worry, once you ride one you'll be happy... If not just send it to me, I'll be happy to take it off your hands and give it some punishment!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
One man's opinion

Like the saying goes.

Opinions are like assholes everyone has one!!!
:div20:

As for the jump from a ZR to a firecat. Yes, it is different. But once you are used to it.. Look out!! I can run at speed much better on the fcat than the ZR. Yes the ZR rails corners better, but get in a washboard and the fcat will ride right by you.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
F the chassis needs some rider input. You can just stay in the middle of the seat and expect it to turn by itself. Properly set up suspension and a good set a skis really help. Lean into the corners and you'll rail around the corner.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i think the guy should maybe have rode one for awhile longer cause last winter i went from a mxz600 to a 05 f7 sno pro and the f7 i a hell of a sled. my buddies have cats too but they arent sno pros and when we get in the rough shit im gone and they are taking their time over the bumps. the suspension has to be played with until you get it dialed in but once you do the sled handles awesome.
ill probly al;wys ride a sno pro know i love the float shocks and the sled is great for jumpin with. :luxhello:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Ive had both Sp and standard and Yes, you should dial it in to your taste and style, mine required a bit more rider input than the Zr, But are a lot more agile and can throw aroung better.. That retard should learn how to ride first. :wut60:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Yup, the FireCat is one hell of a fun sled to ride. It might not rail as good as the old ZR's, I'm talking old like 95, but with my F6 on the tight and twisties I can lose my brother on his 02 ZR800. Every sled needs suspension adjustments for your likeing, I don't think the FireCat is any different then the rest.

Before I rode my FireCat I thought I was going to hate untill I got it dialed in, but that wasn't the case, only minor adjustments needed.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Evil ZR- I also came from a 99 zr 500 efi to a 03 F7...best choice I ever made...

at first my sled was very unstable, I have done a few adjustments, but probally not to the extent as others on here, I think my sled handles great, but my friend got on it, took a little jump, going pretty slow, and got bumped off from the sled and dragged a few feet....

at first it will take some getting used to, dont let anyone tell you that it'll improve in every category, because it wont...the zr chassis was a awesome handling chassis....but once you get used to the firecat platform, you'll be loving it....

BTW, every year, the firecats have been improving on handling....04s were way better then 03s, 05 are better then the 04s, not sure on the 06s yet...

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
NO DOUBT YOU HAVE TO DIAL IT IN, ONCE YOU DO IN MY OPINION ITS THE BEST SLED OUT THERE. I RODE EVRYTHING, EVEN THE REV, A DIALED IN SNO PRO ESPECIALY WITH THE FLOATS WHEN EVERYTHING IS ADJUSTED, THE PSI ON THE FLOATS, THE SKI PRESSURE, AND PITCH.... NOTHING COMES CLOSE PERIOD!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Yeah i went from polaris indy to firecat....100 times better. I also have a zl600 and didnt like it after my F6 EFI. I hope the Crossfire is going to be another step in the same direction. :div20:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
in my opinion, if you think the sno pro suspension is too stiff then your not ridding it hard enough. yea as everyone has stated All sleds have to be dialed in for ones individual likes and needs but that is accross the board with EVERY sled made out there. you just cant expect to take it out of the box and have it perfect for you what was he thinking

·
Registered
968 Posts
I came off of a polaris pro-x 800. I loved that sled except for the motor, I have to agree that the F cat will take a bit to get used to , it will feel tippy untill you just let go of conventional thinking and just let the sled work... it will sort of settle into a turn a little different than a 15" wide track sled, once your used to it, NO BIG deal. I personally found that the coupler blocks had to GO, the rear skid just did not work well with them in. period. you may find different. there is alot of personal prefference in setup.
one area I will complain about on my 05 F-7sp is the front skid shock. It seems very harshly valved, yet it bottoms easily with my riding style( I am probably more agressive than most). overall, dont be afraid of the F-7 at all. you will like it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you've got studs and good skis, the Fircat is the most stable thing you can ride. Positively NO squirming and NO darting at speed - period. I think the slightly longer skinny track actually stabilizes it more than a fat wide track. The track gets entrenched in the established path.....

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
i love mine,i came off a 99 ZRT 800. so the firecat is way lighter and at first it felt a lil tippy to me, but once i got used to the riding the thing like i stole it it was awesome. whats nice about the sled is it will take the aggresive riding no problem, i think a rev will soak up the stutter bumps a little better

1 - 20 of 37 Posts