Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I came across this forum about a week ago and decided to join the discussion and see what you guys have to say about the FireCat.
Here is a little background on me..Last year I Spring ordered the 2002 ZR 500 Cross Country Edition. I paid alot of money (for me) in hopes of receiving a real "Hard Core" machine...1 hour into my first ride I saw where I made a mistake..To make a long story short, AC burned me with the hype they spewed about the ZR CCE. I traded my machine for an 01' MX ZX 440 and now I can ride without fear of breaking my machine.
Something intrigues me about AC, I really like their machines and I liked the ergos much more on the ZR than this ZX.
The New FireCat Sno Pro edition appears to have the same longer travel Fox shocks up front as the 440 SnoPro and that machine is really catching my eye.
Now I know the valving and probably torsion springs are not up to real SnoPro specs, but could it be?
I mean could a FireCat SnoPro Edition with 1 or 200 dollars in suspension work (new torsion springs and revalving) be a REAL 500 SnoPro? ..Or would I just be wasting my money again?? Honesty would be appreciated. Thanks, Frank.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
the firecat sno-pro, is stiffer than the std. firecat, but not as stought as the sno-pro 440 race machines, i own both a f-7 sno-pro and 02 440 sno-pro.
to be honest unless you are jumping 30 ft in the air the firecat sno-pro should be plenty stiff for you,
i weigh 265 lbs and have no problem bottoming out, riding harder through the rough stuff!
have my rear spring cam blocks on 3, and do plenty of mogul jumping, and it handles it fine, if you want super stiff springs and valving go with the 440 racer! cat has a trail kit avaible for the 03 440 sno-pro, pump gas heads and rear heat exchanger

·
Registered
481 Posts
Why dont you just get an 02 440 snopro? Theres a guy in the classified forum that has one for sale, looks good, good deal too. Thats probably your best bet, with crosslink and everything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply,
I already own a 440 racer..A 2001 Ski-Doo MXZX 440, low comp heads and it runs hard on 92 octane..This machine is bulletproof..I know I could install this or that on a 440 and make it "trailable" but I don't really want to do that, if I do that I would get a REV440..What I am asking is, with revalving and torsion springs, would the F5 SnoPro be a REAL SnoPro, or would it still pale in comparison? By the Way I do jump that big..I go about 55-60 feet and maybe 10 feet or so high on average. That is how I ride, no trails for me! Thanks again for the help, Frank.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
the 440 sno-pro is the same chassis as the firecats, you could get springs and revalve the shocks on a f-5 or f-7 to get the racer suspension!
i know the racers fly that high or higher!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Even if you do revalve the shocks you wont have the crosslink rear ones, those are the best to get. It might take quite a bit of work to get a regular sno pro to your standards, read all the stuff on here about people dissapointed because the snopro is too soft. Even my uncles F7 felt soft to me, and Im only 135 pounds.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
i have my f-7 sno-pro sitting right next to my 02 440 sno-pro and with the rear spring cam on 3 on f-7 not a huge difference!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
I think if you revalved you might be OK, but the 440 sno pro has different shocks. For one it has the cross link and two I believe it has bigger shock shafts.
Cat S.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Your best bet is to get the standard Firecat(cheaper) and buy the 440 shocks, They're about $1000. Ask the dealership were you get it if they'll take your stock shocks as trade in.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Didn't the 03 have a lot of durability issues? Or is that just in a snocross enviroment? I do know the 03 X-link is way better than the 02 so if you can get that version, do so.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
FFF

The 02 and 03 440 SnoPro doe have much different shocks. The 02 440 has longer front shocks with the steel shock body, for 2003 they put an aluminum shock body on the fronts. The 440's also have 5/8" shock rods compared to the 1/2" on the consumer sleds. The Cross-Link is the BEST you will find, but get the 2003. The 2003 has a 2" dia. rear shock and the system does not have the remote adjustable canister like the old front arm control. On my 2002 you have to adjust a bolt into one of the remotes to keep the system balanced correctly, Cat changed that this year. Kirk Hibbert ran that 2003 system on an F5 in the Iron Dog cross country race last year. I will tell you honestly, my next sled will be an F6 and I will spend the money for the Cross Link and either 440 front shocks or the Fox Zero X.. There is NOTHING like having a real suspension system. I found it out on dirt bikes after having Pro Circuit do the suspension and now with the SnoPro Cross-Link over standard stuff. No Comparison. I have the shock valving specs for cross country, But if like to jump like that, you may like the regular 440 Pro valving. I am about 235 lbs and I have no problems with my Pro valving on the trail or Sno-X track. I do not think you would be disapointed

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just got back from a friday ride with a 02 440 sp skid w/ crosslink shocks valved for cross country that are updated to the 03 specs. w/the check valves in my F7 SP,plus 02 front shocks from 440 SP. Well my F7SP is unbelievable now, it rides so flat and lost the ski in the air feel, but it will just plain fly over anything you throw at it. Have to admit it lost some of the fun feel though , but the handling control is unbeleivable, it will be very hard to drive civil because it just begs to be beat.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Originally posted by ditchpickle@Feb 7 2003, 11:03 PM
I just got back from a friday ride with a 02 440 sp skid w/ crosslink shocks valved for cross country that are updated to the 03 specs. w/the check valves in my F7 SP,plus 02 front shocks from 440 SP. Well my F7SP is unbelievable now, it rides so flat and lost the ski in the air feel, but it will just plain fly over anything you throw at it. Have to admit it lost some of the fun feel though , but the handling control is unbeleivable, it will be very hard to drive civil because it just begs to be beat.
ditchpickle,

So you swapped a rear skid out of a 2002 440SnoPro and bolted the front AWS shocks from the 02 440SnoPro on your Firecat? That sounds like an awesome idea... I like it!!!

I am curious though, what did you mean "w/the check valves in my F7 SP"??
-John

·
Registered
125 Posts
i just had the snopro valving done on my f5 snopro and now there are no limits :p with the valving that came on it it wasnt really bad but i got the snopro valving cuz mine would always bottom out on the BIG ONES so once i got my sled back last week and tested it out i was more than happy with it, i havent got it to bottom out once yet ^_^

1 - 17 of 17 Posts